Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Range for 2015 season

crucker

We are working on the range for the 2015 season. Right now we have a blank canvas. We are building all new bays, stage props and whatever else we need. So my question is what are the main things you would like to see at a range? The range will be at Briar Rabbit Shooting Sports in Zanesville Ohio. So let me hear what you want and we will see what we can do to make this a premier USPSA range.

Stick with Rick. He will know more about the Ohio USPSA scene than anybody else.

I am the MD here in Cincinnati and will be more than happy to help you get off the ground! You can reach me at sandfam7300@gmail.com

Shooters like a lot of variety so be sure to get some mini poppers and maybe a plate rack. The big poppers are just too darn big and I swear I will only get mini's from now on. Easier to move and store as well. Plates by themselves are too prone to REF so I would get a plate rack. Same goes for Texas stars. They are a pain in the ass to keep running 100%.

Nice high berms so you can have a lot of left/right shooting is a plus. High round count stages are popular as well.

Good value at a good price will bring in lots of shooters eventually. I am originally from that neck of the woods and I know it's out in the boonies. To bring us in from the far reaches of the state you will need to have at least 4 good stages and a classifier every month.

Shop around locally and come up with a weekend that is open so you don't conflict with other matches.

Plan to really only shoot match-October since participation really drops off in the winter unless you have a freaky warm weekend somewhere along the line.

Charge 20 bucks or less to stay in line with all the other Ohio matches to draw shooters in.

Enlist a ton of help that is committed to the match just like you are. Try to get at least ten folks on your list. Otherwise it gets old real fast doing all the work with one or two guys.

Use incentives to get helpers. That really paid off for me this year.

Get good RO's trained up and stick firmly to the rules. Don't fall into the "it's only a local match so I will cut you a break" mentality. The true competitors expect that and will appreciate it.

Get more than one or two guys to design stages. No matter how hard you try to vary them they all look the same when one guy does them all month after month.

Good luck and don't schedule it for the 4th weekend of the month so I can come up and shoot! :)

Sarge

All good points. We have some good volunteers, plus paid employees. So set up and maintence is not an issue. Good note on the mini poppers. I know some of the steel we have our regular bays is a pain to move. We have room to do what we want so planning on 4-6 big bays and 2 for qualifiers. Going to see about an RO class in early march.

Grass or Gravel, dirt gets muddy Paved roads. Bathrooms, each stage needs some kind of cover to get out of the weather.maybe pick nick table or tables. Chees

We are going to get grass going as early as we can. Stone and pavement are no problem we also own two paving companies. We have paved most of our existing sporting clays course this year. We are going to put shelters up when we get all the dirt work done.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

By bay storage for props and steel if possible.  Found its easier to get tear down / set up help of the put away is close.  Looks like its going to be a great place to go.

Edited by JimmyN9
Added comment