Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sight in distance

sbaker5

Honestly, I've never adjusted the sights on any quality pistol I've got.

I just learn how the gun shoots and get to work. Don't mean to sound flippant, just being honest.

I've never adjusted the powder measure on any quality reloading press I've got. I just load rounds and get to work.

:blink:

Wooooo ha!

You sure showed me!

How about this: I guess I've been fortunate enough to get some quality equipment that has been pretty close to start with. I often change ammo and the resultant small changes between POA/POI mean that I don't chase after small changes. Ultimately I am nobody in this sport so who really cares.

Edited by Ultimo-Hombre

Honestly, I've never adjusted the sights on any quality pistol I've got.

I just learn how the gun shoots and get to work. Don't mean to sound flippant, just being honest.

will you let me borrow your gun for a few mins before the next match? :devil:

I've had a few guns that were perfectly dialed right out of the box, but I'm kind of finicky. I don't want to have to do math in my head to hit the upper a-zone.

I find that if my gun shoots exactly at the blade of the front sight from 7 and 10 yards (where I frequently do accuracy drills), that it shoots as close to that spot as I can shoot at 15 and 25 yards. I think it should shoot where I'm aiming until the distance gets long enough that the bullet starts to run out of steam and drop.

• 5 years later...
On 11/14/2014 at 2:59 PM, ivan said:

There seems to be a mixture of information here, split between "sighting in the gun" and "knowing where you're hitting" which are two different things.

First: get your gun sighted in, then find out if you're hitting near where it's sighted into. If your gun is zeroed properly and your draw and fire shots at X yards are not hitting close enough, then practice practice practice until you are hitting adequately close to point of aim.

As to which distance: that can depend on whether you are shooting a red dot or iron sights. In both cases there is a parallax issue since the line of sight and the line of the bore never line up perfectly. The line of sight is a perfectly straight line. For iron sight guns that line is from the top of the rear sight to the top of the front sight out to the target. For red dot sights that line is from the red dot to the target. In both cases this line is above the bore of the barrel. With iron sights the two are close enough together that you can ignore the difference. However with a red dot it can be significantly greater distance. This means your sight in distance is more important with the red dot.

If you zero a red dot at 15 yards, then the bullet has risen from the muzzle to the target at 15 yards to hit the zero. Then if you shoot at 25, the bullet is still rising, and you will hit higher. Therefore I like to sight in a red dot gun at 25 or greater distance. However as stated above, you must then realize that when shooting 5 yards you are going to hit low. This can be an issue if you're squeaking a shot just over a no-shoot.

The lower the red dot is mounted to the slide, the better as this reduces the parallax issue.

Anyway: once you've got the gun sighted in (yes: using a benchrest is fine), THEN you practice to get your hits near to where the gun is sighted in.

-ivan-

p.s. I suspect you're now sorry you asked 🙂

Ivan, do you use a 15 HD zero for your Classic gun?

mikeb