Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 40 major... why is it better?

CAB33

Irrefutably it burns cleaner and cooler. Recoil feel is subjective so thats hard to absolutely quantify. On the other hand, n320 is more expensive and harder to find, though what powder isn't these days so thats kind of moot at the moment. Try it out and see if you like it.

N320 isn't very temperature sensitive either.

I would put it this way. There are powders that can produce similar recoil, or burn on the cleaner side, or measure nicely, or are less temperature sensitive, and so on. But very few powders do it all well. VVs do. The only downside to the stuff is price and availability.

I personally think it is overrated. It does perform well, is stable, meters well, etc, but for the price, I would rather use WST, Ramshot Comp, or even Alliant Clay Dot.

I have never had an issue with WST metering, going minor, etc. $100 for 4 lbs vs $130 for 8? No brainer.I still have 16lbs of N320, and I am gonna try to trade it for WST along with some cash from the person I trade with.

I have never had an issue with WST metering, going minor, etc. $100 for 4 lbs vs $130 for 8? No brainer.I still have 16lbs of N320, and I am gonna try to trade it for WST along with some cash from the person I trade with.

+1

WST is my go to powder for .40 Limited Major loads. I like the feel better than N320.

I do use N320 for my 9mm production load though.

As mentioned N320 is a great powder; soft recoil impulse, stable temperature wise, very clean and consistent. It works well with jacketed bullets but is so-so with coated bullets. I save my small stash for major match ammo, and use whatever the hell I can find for practice ammo and local matches. Powder is very hard to come by in Hawaii and my usual source in the CONUS hasnt had much in stock to make it cost effective to do a bulk order. N320 is pricey, but not so much if you only use it for match ammo.

I'm so jealous of you guys who actually have access to powder. We cant get shit here.

+1

WST is my go to powder for .40 Limited Major loads. I like the feel better than N320.

I do use N320 for my 9mm production load though.

I'm a die hard n320 user for 40 major and 9mm but it's getting harder to find and I have some wst that I bought. Would appreciate some of your load data for wst forty major I use zero 180gr fmj and hollow points when I can find them.

Thanks

In my 5" barrel akai I found that lead 180gr with 4.6 to 4.7 grs of wst at 1.176 oal length got me 170 to 171 pf with great accuracy. I just don't like the smoke as opposed to fmj or hollow point zero bullets. I'm down to 7lbs of n320(hard to find) and have some wst that I would like to try with a 5.4 svi non aet barrel using 180 gr zero bullets has anyone tried this combo? If so I would appreciate some load data

Thanks

Hello: I found that Tite Group is more accurate than N320 in my 40 pistols. With both moly coated, jacketed and plated bullets. It is cleaner but I clean my guns after 500 rounds so that is not an issue for me. N320 is softer than Tite Group but WST is nice also. WST is reverse temp sensitive so keep that in mind. I am going to try Alliant Blue Dot next since I have a lot of it. Thanks, Eric

I liked titegroup too accuracy was great but barrel and slide got hot quickly and titegroup can be double charged (my biggest worry) when using a 550. I now have a 650 with powder check and with powder being hard to I might try it again.

Because everyone else is doing it!

In all seriousness, I love how clean it is. My SS guns used to get NASTY when I shot Titegroup. When I had my Lim gun built, I was recommended N320 and haven't looked back. Little hard to find and expensive when you do, but I like it and will continue to use it.