Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding the right platform

Iggy42

I currently run a XDm in both USPSA and 3 Gun, and while it runs well I just feel like there is something missing. Problem is I have no idea how to figure out what is causing that feeling or how to correct it. I admit I have long lusted after a 2011, especially since I would like to try USPSA Open at some point, but Tanfoglios have also caught my eye. Seems like most people I talk to are X platform guys (i.e. I shoot with guys that run nothing by Glocks, some nothing but 2011s, etc etc etc) but I have no idea how to find my pistol idenity if you will.

I would really appreciate some advise on this one.

So where is the question? I could tell you what gun I like to shoot, but does that really help you? There is no rule that says you can't have more than one gun. There is also no need for a reason to buy another one.

What do you want us to talk you in to?

Simple, go shoot other guns. Beg, borrow, or .. hmm .. just beg and borrow some different guns, put a couple hundred rounds through each if you can and see if one of them speaks to you.

There's something to love about every platform, that's why not everyone shoots the same one (although I'm not sure what there is to love about xDs :) )

I have CZs, Tanfoglios and now a 2011, the 2011 has an awesome trigger, the action is smooth as glass, it's light, but I hate the ergonomics; the Tanfoglios are oh so pretty with the best ergonomics, but the aftermarket support is weak and the importer is terrible; the CZs have similar ergonomics, the trigger is better, and there are no large frame options.

Different platforms also have different strengths in different divisions: CZs and Tanfos rule Production, but the factory options for Open are weak.

Obviously you're not in love with the xD so sell it and try something new. Which division do you want to shoot?

There is no rule that says you can't have more than one gun.

Thank God! Just do like the rest of us do; buy more guns. I recently posted asking for support in sticking with my Glock. I am now the proud owner of a CZ. So far I'm very happy with the switch. One day I'll own a 2011 and maybe even an open gun.

What division are you shooting, and which division would you like to shoot? Maybe we can help you from there.

I see you shoot 3 gun as well, which is probably why you picked a polymer gun. I've got more suggestions, but I need the answer to the above question first.

There's something to love about every platform, that's why not everyone shoots the same one (although I'm not sure what there is to love about xDs :) )

I have CZs, Tanfoglios and now a 2011, the 2011 has an awesome trigger, the action is smooth as glass, it's light, but I hate the ergonomics; the Tanfoglios are oh so pretty with the best ergonomics, but the aftermarket support is weak and the importer is terrible; the CZs have similar ergonomics, the trigger is better, and there are no large frame options.

Different platforms also have different strengths in different divisions: CZs and Tanfos rule Production, but the factory options for Open are weak.

Obviously you're not in love with the xD so sell it and try something new. Which division do you want to shoot?

I have shot an EAA Witness Limited and it felt pretty good, but I don't reload (lack of space for bench) and at the time you had to go STI long in .40 to run reliably. This was also before I discovered Atlanta Arms/Universial Ammo so I do have options for "long" ammo. I also know that with the K40s from Mecgar you don't need long ammo in .40 for a Limited.

There is no rule that says you can't have more than one gun.

Thank God! Just do like the rest of us do; buy more guns. I recently posted asking for support in sticking with my Glock. I am now the proud owner of a CZ. So far I'm very happy with the switch. One day I'll own a 2011 and maybe even an open gun.

What division are you shooting, and which division would you like to shoot? Maybe we can help you from there.

I see you shoot 3 gun as well, which is probably why you picked a polymer gun. I've got more suggestions, but I need the answer to the above question first.

USPSA Limited, and Tac Optics (like everyone else) in 3 Gun

Going polymer was more about budget than anything else. I used to shoot single stack, not well but its what I had so I went with it. I knew long term I wanted to get into 3 gun so I felt getting a Limited pistol was the right thing to do as I knew it would take me a while to get set up for 3 gun. I figured at least that way I could get trigger time in while working toward a rifle and shotgun for 3 gun.

Edited by Iggy42

I actually think a polymer striker fired 9mm might be the ideal gun for 3gun. You can abandon it without worrying about manual safeties coming off, they are lighter on the belt next to the rest of the gear, you don't cry if you ding it, etc. In some ways I think the perfect 3gun handgun is a production division plastic fantastic plus base pads. A limited gun will give up some capacity and a "fancy" limited gun may not get treated with the same level of abuse as you might otherwise need to inflict on you 3 gun pistol. Last weekend I had retrieve mine from a bucket of water in a stage.

Conventional wisdom agrees with Vlad, and I do too. If you're shooting USPSA Limited, I would think you would need two pistols. A striker fired 9mm (Glock is my preference, but you already have an xDm which is perfect too) for easy abandonment and abuse in 3 gun. Then for Limited, it would be more beneficial points wise to shoot a 40 cal. 2011, CZ TS Sport, xDm, or Glock would all work. There are many, many more choices there as well.

If you're more serious about 3 gun and just dabble in USPSA, then you could shoot limited minor with your 3 gun pistol. Use the same holster and magazine position for both sports.

If you're more serious about USPSA and only want one pistol, shoot limited at major power factor and 3 gun at minor power factor. Universal Ammo sells both major and minor in short and long. Some people will tell you they shoot 40 major for everything. I don't have an opinion on that because I only shoot 9mms. Hope that helps, and I'd be happy to answer any follow ups you have.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a polymer guy (tried xdms but stuck with glocks) through my early 20's then dabbled into steel guns into my 30's with a sig and an sti trojan and then a custom fusion 1911. I shot slightly better with the all steel guns but really liked the feel of steel versus polymer grips especially the double stack sig since I have large hands (6'4"). I finally got my hands on a steel grip 2011 and am in love :).

Never going back!

Edited by zimm33