Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My take on brass catchers

jmnielsen

Hey guys, thought I would post my project up on here. If this isn't kosher I can take it down, just let me know. (I did PM a moderator this morning but haven't heard back yet.)

A quick bio on me: I'm a 23 year old mechanical engineering student at the University of Nebraska - Lincoln. I've been hunting and shooting since I was in grade school and am an outdoors enthusiast. I just recently got in to shooting sports (about 2 years ago). I am having a blast competing (although it hasn't been often) and can't wait to grow as a competitor. Enough about me though, let me tell you about my project.

A little over a year ago I set out to make a low profile brass catcher. Main uses would be hunting and range trips. Those of you that reload know how annoying it can be to pick up all your brass after a range trip, or digging for it out in the bush when you're hunting. I shoot my 6.8 and save all of my brass for reloading. While the price is coming down, it's no where near as cheap as 5.56 brass. I wanted something that was low profile, easy to put on and off, and could hold at least 30 rounds. After some brainstorming and messing around with stuff I came up with a design, which can be seen below.

There are some prototypes in use (about 60-80 of them). So far I have only had one issue, a kydex mount got very hot and started to lose its shape. That will no longer be an issue though, because they will be made out of HDPE.

Up until this point all of my mounts have been hand made. This leaves great variation between each one, none are the exact same. My goal is to mass produce these brass catchers, and doing so there is NO way I'll be able to hand make all of the mounts. What will I do? I'm going to get an injection mold made! The problem: molds are very expensive! (At least for me it is.) The solution: put my project on RocketHub and expose it to the nation!

If I can get my project funded I will be able to produce a high quality product that is the exact same, every time! I'll be able to hopefully distribute my product across the nation to be sold in gun stores nation wide. If you wouldn't mind taking a minute and at least checking it out, that would be greatly appreciated!

A few important notes:

- The mounts will be made out of HDPE, not kydex, so the issue of deformation due to heat should be void (with some extreme exceptions).

- My project deadline is Friday, 10/31/2014. I know that I won't reach my goal. DON'T WORRY, I am going through with this no matter what. If you fund my project you WILL receive what you paid for!

- I used this on my brothers DPMS LR-308 with no issues last Sunday, so yes it should work on most large frame AR's.

- It will not work with side chargers that have a reciprocating CH.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Videos of a prototype in use.

Pictures:

_DSC5731_zpscbe168a8.jpg

_DSC5729_zpsbbbfbf22.jpg

_DSC5730_zpsb05432b4.jpg

_DSC5728_zps86294fcc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If I may suggest, you might consider making a version that mounts behind the scope mount. Lots of us are running slick handguards with no rear sight on the upper receiver for game guns, so you have room behind the scope mount but not forward top rail to snap this on.

Sure, but we do practice with our competition rifles and want our brass back :)

Very true! One that mounts behind the scope will be something that happens, just not for a little while. It will happen though, and it will make the lefties happy because it will be the same mounting it forward on a left handed rifle.

What would be cool and may ask better with this crowd would be a bullet aluminum bracket offered for several configurations and a hard plastic container that replaces the bag, seams like the fabric bag could cause issues if it swings around during transition drills