Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm glock and lead......

eddiegunks

i know i know. "they" say dont do it.....BUT i got some 15-16 brinell, 124gr i wanna try in my factory glock barrel (i know i know).

i plan to keep em below 950fps. can i shoot em and then check for leading? if i see no leading am i good to go? from what i understand it is a lead build up that causes problems. if there is no lead build up am i gtg?

please let me know of your EXPERIENCE with shooting lead in a factory glock barrel. please let me know your hardness, load data, and utcome. did it go kaboom? does it work well? looking for real world outcomes.

TIA

eddie

Edited by eddiegunks

Don't confuse coated lead with uncoated lead, they are completely different products.

Coated lead are fine in Glock barrels. I don't recommend uncoated lead, regardless of hardness. I have seen leaded Glock barrels, it isn't pretty.

About 200 rounds out of a Glock 19 OEM barrel

with S&S Casting coated 124gr. bullets using VV3n37 @5.7grs

2 quick swipes with bronze bore brush and ready to go for the next 200.

With the straight lead S&S Casting 124gr. bullets which I believe are

18 brinell hardness I swipe every 50 rounds.

1.6" groups @ 25yds.

I have put thousands of cast bullets through Glock 40s and I hardly ever ran a brush through a barrel. My wife and I shot most every Glock match in NC, GA, SC, FL, and VA for several years and went through 1000s of Valiant .401 diameter 40s with no problems.

Too much velocity and/or too small a bullet diameter are major causes of leading.

My wife and I have shot tens of thousands of lead Valiant bullets through the years - 9mm, .40 and .45ACP. All through stock Glock barrels. Where is MarkCo when you need him to tell me my Glock will blow up.

I shot lead through stock glock 22 barrel until I went to a glock match and couldn't figue out why my gun was shooting so far off. Turns out the leading was changing the point of impact about 3 inches right at about 20 feet. I probably shot 5K of laser cast lead through that barrel without a barrel failure up to that point. But I decided to switch to jacketed shortly after that.

Can't really say what the difference would be for a 9mm.

Edited by goat68

I've shot both moly and uncoated lead bullets through a G34 and G22 and they work fine. I've tried a couple aftermarket barrels and actually prefer the looser chamber of the stock barrel. Just make sure you clean the barrel on a regular basis.