Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullseye Shooting & Ultradot Red Dot Sights

rhino

Every time I read something about Bullseye competition, the presence of Ultradot red dot scopes is invariably mentioned at the exclusion of all others. From this, I must assume that Ultradot dominates this small, niche market.

Why is that? Is there something about Ultradot that makes them more suitable for Bullseye than an Aimpoint or Tasco? Are the windage and elevation adjustments smaller or something?

Or is it just a tradition thing?

I asked this once of some local Bullseye shooters. They liked the ultradot since it's small and can be mounted directly to the slide. It comes with a tiny dot and has nice repeatable settings (unlike, say a C-more)

Well, its not exactly a "nitch" market since darn near every Conventional Pistol (Bullseye) competitior has one on at least 2 guns (not counting the backup guns). I have about 6 of them myself. Of the 700 plus competitiors at Perry last year, every one probably averaged owning 3 dot sights. If you multiply this by all the conventional pistol competitors, its a pretty good sized market.

The UltraDots have a pretty much no BS warranty, the major distributor shows up at Camp Perry every year and does repairs there. In addition, the dot sizes are pretty consistent with the MOA markings. Aimpoint and some others are pretty consistently visually smaller or larger than the indicated sizes. 4, 6, 8 MOA are pretty much the standard sizes used for bullseye. The click adjustments are very consistent and repeatable (and they are used a lot when changing from the 50yd to 25 yd line for every match).

As mentioned, they seem to hold up well, even if slide mounted on bullseye guns(which is a pretty easy replacement from the old open sight rib mount and that's what makes the slide mount popular for Bullseye guns). The frame mounts are usually lower to the bore than the rib mounts. I personally prefer the Springfield Comp Scope mount for my guns. The UltraDot holds together even when held by just the forward tube with this mount.

Yep, 30mm is the largest tube and it has the knobs hanging around the outside so its nowhere as clean as the "C-More" types. The price range is less than Aimpoints and the quality is sufficient for the price to exclude the lower end dots, so the UltraDots tend to fill the need appropriately.

Cecil

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

There is an article on the Bullseye Encyclopedia site about parallax errors and such (in the Tools of the Trade section). Interesting reading.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

Ditto what Cecil says (cr10x).  Ultradots rock in bullseye.  I have about 6 UD sights and one Aimpoint Comp which is about the only dot sight that I have found that can keep up with the UD. 

BE

There is an article on the Bullseye Encyclopedia site about parallax errors and such (in the Tools of the Trade section). Interesting reading.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

Ditto what Cecil says (cr10x).  Ultradots rock in bullseye.  I have about 6 UD sights and one Aimpoint Comp which is about the only dot sight that I have found that can keep up with the UD. 

BE

I just found that article too..

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm

interesting stuff...

never found the small tubes to be a problem on IPSC if you shoot with both eyes open..course..I grew up shooting PDP2 scopes..

Also saw a version similar to the Doctor sight, with some differences..but cannot find it on the ultradot website..anyone heard anything about it??

• 2 months later...

Thing I like best about my ultradot is the weight. Especially on the slowfire, all that sticking out my right hand gets tiresome- a heavier tube will kick your butt in a match. (at least it does for me)

It's also pretty affordable and holds its zero very well.

Ted

• 7 years later...

I looked through a $30 big-tube BSA dot sight a few years ago at the local gun store. Hand-held and at every distance I could try, the dot moved all over the place as I moved away from dead-centering the dot in the tube.

One foot of dot movement at 50 yards and beyond was...well, I checked a second unit at it was the same. Both with the dot going only halfway towards the side of the lenses. Vertically, the bottom 1/4 of the field of view brought a SECOND foot of parallax error.

Later and at a different store, I looked through a super-cool "tactical" mil-dot scope and found that adjusting out the parallax could eliminate either the horizontal reticle movement, or the vertical reticle movement, but never both. The only way I would ever have a BSA optic would be if it came on something I bought and the seller didn't want to keep it.