Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VP9 Experience

mcracco

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I don't shoot production much but will be shooting a couple of matches this year so I can use my VP9, just need to get a holster for it. This was my first HK and liked it so well that I purchased a P2000sk to replace my Glock 26 for summer carry.

Any word on HK making a compact version for CC?

A P30sk (hammer fired) is due for release any day now. HK will likely round out the caliber offerings (VP40, VP45) before releasing any tactical, long slide, or subcompact models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk HK, probably while driving.

I IWB a VP9 in florida every day in a remora sticky type holster. Carries like a G19 . I also have a very nice stealth gear holster for it , but i find i always come back to the 25 dollar Remora every time . Go with what works i guess

• 2 weeks later...

I don't shoot production much but will be shooting a couple of matches this year so I can use my VP9, just need to get a holster for it. This was my first HK and liked it so well that I purchased a P2000sk to replace my Glock 26 for summer carry.

Funny enough I was considering a VP9 after I'd bought a p2000sk for my carry gun. But the OP convinced me not too as the VP9 was to be a range gun and by extension a competition gun (my home defense guns are Sig p229's) and that mag release, although IMHO fine for my carry gun I cannot get off fast mag changes like I can with my Sigs or the gun I ended up with for competition.

• 2 months later...

I'm a Glock and 1911 shooter. I had shot the VP9 a few times. Shot it for the first time in competition a few weeks ago. Fell in love wight he trigger and how naturally it points for me. Decided to buy one for production and SSP, will start carrying it to replace my beloved G19 soon enough. I have really grown to like these pistols.

The mag release with my trigger finger is one of my favorite features.

I hear you on the trigger finger mag release and I appreciate the suggestion but I'm not going to do that. I'm a little old school and I think my trigger finger should only have one job. :)

I do have a fleet of M&P's and after shooting one in competition I have no recollection of dropping a mag. That means the action is burned in and it is totally controlled by the subconscious. It's one of my few training victories and the VP9 is not important enough for me to want to screw with it. Just no sense to go back and forth between two techniques.

Looks like you made a very poor decision purchasing the HK. Next time, do your 'homework' before buying. Everything you descibed is your fault, not the gun.

• 8 months later...

Just got a sfp9, and actually think the mag release is going to cure me of a problem I have had with 2011's. I hit the button and then get the gun sideways too fast sometimes and the mag hangs. Bad technique I know. In practicing with my HK, and since I have pretty long thumbs, the mag paddle isn't that big a problem and it forces me to maintain less side motion. Sure do love the way the mags eject too.

I think they screwed up with the controls on VP9, both the mag release and the slide stop.

I still believe the best - by far - mag release from NK was on P30. I think it has the optimal size and location. In fact, I can reliable release it while pretending I am using the button. The one on VP9 only works with your trigger finger - a limitation, in my view.

The issue with the slide release is its location - boneheaded, in my view. Again, the ones on P30, or also on P2000, were optimal: always there, and never getting in the way.

The one on the VP9 and VP40 are right where the right hand thumb of all of us, used to shooting the 1911/2011's is positioned, so I keep pressing on it, preventing the slide from locking on the empty.

• 2 weeks later...

I fondled a VP9 the other day at the gun store. I have never liked any pistol HK has released aside from the brilliant P7, but I liked this. Oh, except the mag release, it's horrible and cost them a sale from me. What the hell are they thinking with that thing? I'm now looking at the comparable Walther model with a traditional release. Why screw up something just to be different?

I fondled a VP9 the other day at the gun store. I have never liked any pistol HK has released aside from the brilliant P7, but I liked this. Oh, except the mag release, it's horrible and cost them a sale from me. What the hell are they thinking with that thing? I'm now looking at the comparable Walther model with a traditional release. Why screw up something just to be different?

Different strokes I guess. I love the HK mag release and much prefer the Walther PPQ M1 version with similar mag release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lunker

Different strokes I guess. I love the HK mag release and much prefer the Walther PPQ M1 version with similar mag release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand if a person does like it, but for me I can't go back and forth when so many of my other pistols are a button. They outta offer both styles like Walther.

Its worth learning to get used to if you like everything else about the pistol. I picked one up a couple months ago after getting to shoot one at Grayguns....I was impressed enough I had to have one. I find it pretty easy to get used to the mag release, and actually have no problems switching between it and my P320 with a traditional mag release button.

Well, I was foolish enough to show the VP9 to my wife, who immediately fell in love with it for all the wrong reasons... it is "very pretty" she said, so she will be shooting USPSA with it.

But I am not a total dummy - I am keeping the VP40 all to me-self! :)

As far as the Walthers - I have those too, and although nice guns, the HK is better, mainly due to its superior grip design. I have large hands, and on VP9 the Large backstrap feels good to me, but on the Walther the Large one is an abomination - it completely changes the grip angle.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as the Walthers - I have those too, and although nice guns, the HK is better, mainly due to its superior grip design. I have large hands, and on VP9 the Large backstrap feels good to me, but on the Walther the Large one is an abomination - it completely changes the grip angle.

The location of the palmswell/hump on the Walthers is abominable. The VP9 accomplishes this much better.

The M1 PPQ is almost the exact same configuration as the vp9. Everything from grip angle, to bore sight to mag release on the trigger guard. What's even better...the M2 PPQ comes with a standard mag release location and has IMHO..one of THE BEST stock triggers in a polymer gun I have ever shot.

I have been using the paddle mag release since the P99 came out in 1996, and I love it... I have it today on several of my pistols, and consider it a better alternative.

I am not sure why you are objecting this strongly - I could go either way, it is not life or death to me.

I have the Walther M1 in 9mm, but unfortunately they only make the PPQ 45 in M2. Also have the P99's.

Actually... think of it... the P7M8 and M13 already had the paddle-like release, and I always liked it.

I disagree on your Walther vs. VP9 comparison - to me they have quite different feel, with VP9 being superior. Yes, PPQ has better trigger, but not by much.