Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Scale vs. Balance Beam scale

Balance beam is less expensive, and not subject to battery degradation

or "breeze" factors.

And, it's accurate enough for my purposes (loading 9mm for USPSA). :cheers:

They are absolutely subject to "breeze" factors.

I use a balance, and it works well.... but turn on your ceiling fan and let me know how accurate it is.

After we get smacked by the mother of all Electro Magentic Pulse events, the balance beam will still work. That is why I keep my old RCBS beam scale.

In the mean time I appreciate the ease of using the electronic scales. :rolleyes:

What is trickle charging?

The 2 amp setting on your battery charger. :devil: Couldn't resist.

Google powder trickler. Essentially something to dispense just a couple spheres/flakes/rods of powder at a time. Used for getting very accurate loads and very precise groups of loads. Therefore the benchrest tie-in.

Just a random note...be careful not to confuse precision with accuracy. I have a cheaper electronic scale that reads down to .1 gr, but in reality, it is inaccurate as all get out. Different measurements each time, and as I trickle more powder in, it will jump by .5-.6gr. This is not a Dillon scale btw.

That brings up a good point, there are a lot of electronic scales that don't work worth a dam trickling but are accurate with a dropped charge and yes the $5 harbor freight scales are accurate enough to weigh bullets but I wouldn't trust one with powder charges.

The other thing with beam balance scales is you are subject to parallax errors in reading them. If your eyes are higher than the scale you are reading it at an angle and misinterpreting the zero on the scale. Small point but if you look at it from 3 different angles you will get 3 different readings.

The better analogue electrical meters of years ago had a mirror on the scale. You shifted your head to get the needle and the reflection of the needle to line up to eliminate viewing parallax. That was fun.

I use a digital scale. :)

Balance beam. One press for each caliber, once load established, set and forget.

If you only use one load for caliber. I think at one point I had 3 machines setup for the same caliber, just different loads. I will say I keep preset powder bars with their tool head and powder check arbor.