Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Its On Now

Sporky

I think 1000 rounds is a good number for the initial break in period. I finally cleaned that blaster over the weekend. Holy Crap was it dirty! I followed the Brazzos suggestion and I didn't clean it, just kept it lubed up. I can report that not one single issue popped up! The only issue I had was with some of my reloads. I think that the primers I had were a bad batch or something. I was getting perfect strikes and no detonation at all. I picked up a new batch of primers and no issues for in about 300 rounds or more. The chrome finish really lets you know where the dirt and grime is! I only did a field strip clean because I am too chicken to break the gun down any more. I know, I know.....I am going to have to get brave and break it down all the way and give it a good cleaning.

I am thinking that now that I know my loads are going to be OK, that I want to experiment with the recoil spring a bit. Even just racking the slide, I feel like the spring is too heavy. Also thinking about he too-less guide rod to make things a bit easier. But the truth is that it isn't that hard to begin with so I will wait until I decide to order the recoil spring and do them both at the same time i suppose. Still trying to decide on the grip as well. The stock grip is doing damn good as far as I can tell. I don't seem to have any trouble except when I reload. My little girl hands have a hard time reaching the over-sized button. Still haven't decided weather get on the waiting list for a PT steel grip or to order an Extreme Shooters grip. I would really like a Red grip to keep the aesthetics consistent, and to be a bit different from everyone else. I am wondering it a shorter trigger length would help me out or not.

All this really pisses me off now the STI came out with the DVC limited gun with all the bells and whistles already done to it. Including the slide lightening! That is the real kick in the shorts! for a few hundred more than what I first paid, I could have the lightened slide, the Extreme Shooters grip, and a two pound trigger! Oh well.....I do like my gun a hell of a lot more than I did my M&P and I can shoot it a lot better as well.

I loaded up 100 rounds last night so I could try out my new bullet boxes. I picked up 4 of the Smart Reloader boxes and they are pretty darn nice. I don't think the hinges will wear out like the others that are made of one piece of flexible plastic. I also received my order that had the media separator and the Red Dawson Sandpaper grip tape. Not sure if I am going to like the tape or not. i wrapped it around the grip without sticking it on just to get a sense for it. I have to take the magwell off to put them on, so I think I am going to give it a go this weekend on Sunday and test out the new Zero bullets as well. I need to ask RVB to get the crono back out so I can be sure I am not shooting Bunny Farts out of the new gun. Gimmie them Major Power Factor Points Bitch!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two things to say. First, did you use Magtech primers? Those are the only primers I've ever had dead ones with. I think they were shorter or something and required a primer depth adjustment? I don't really know. I went back to Winchester and never had another issue. I've also used CCI's without issue. But make sure your primer depth is bottoming out the primers. A good way to check is set the round on a flat surface like glass, or a good laminate type table top. If any wiggle, your primers are too high.

Secondly, some advice my gunsmith gave me. Don't put grip tape on for a few months. Get used to the gun and grip before adding the tape. I liked that route. It was a welcomed change after I was using the stock grip for a while. Also, don't skimp on it. Have someone sand the grip down and put the tape on. This way the grip stays the same size. I did it myself without sanding at first and then my gunsmith replaced it for me later and did it the correct way. WOW, what a difference it made. I also had him do it for me because if he sanded too much and screwed the grip up... it was on HIM to replace it.

Have fun!

Weekend off work finally! :goof: I'm game if you'd like a tag-a-long on Sunday? I've got a Pro chrono I can bring too, but I wouldn't mind comparing my readings to someone else's chrono(RVB).

Itl's on!

gimmie a shout on saturday and we will set a time up!

RVB if you are in let me know!!!! I have ammo to burn!!!

I have two things to say. First, did you use Magtech primers? Those are the only primers I've ever had dead ones with. I think they were shorter or something and required a primer depth adjustment? I don't really know. I went back to Winchester and never had another issue. I've also used CCI's without issue. But make sure your primer depth is bottoming out the primers. A good way to check is set the round on a flat surface like glass, or a good laminate type table top. If any wiggle, your primers are too high.

Secondly, some advice my gunsmith gave me. Don't put grip tape on for a few months. Get used to the gun and grip before adding the tape. I liked that route. It was a welcomed change after I was using the stock grip for a while. Also, don't skimp on it. Have someone sand the grip down and put the tape on. This way the grip stays the same size. I did it myself without sanding at first and then my gunsmith replaced it for me later and did it the correct way. WOW, what a difference it made. I also had him do it for me because if he sanded too much and screwed the grip up... it was on HIM to replace it.

Have fun!

I always check my primers on every round. That is one reason that I like to put them in ammo boxes instead of just any old container.

I think I will take your advise and keep with the stock grip for now. Maybe I will get a Extreme grip and then experiment on the stock one a bit.

I am really hoping that a PT grip will magically become available before then.....

Thanks for the input!

But make sure your primer depth is bottoming out the primers. A good way to check is set the round on a flat surface like glass, or a good laminate type table top. If any wiggle, your primers are too high.

primers sitting flush doesn't necessarily mean they are bottomed out. a couple thou under is usually bottomed out. if there is wiggle on a flat surface I would consider those unsafe. But they can be flush and still be "high" and not ignite. you'll get a dimple in the primer, but it'll shove the whole primer in farther and/or not really compress the compound against the anvil...

some primers need more "pre compression" (eg crushed into the pocket pressing the anvil into the compound/cup) than others. I don't think I've ever seen real manufacturer published info, but I know I've seen where Federal for instance used to recommend a "light pre-compression" for reliable ignition... so just seating them such that they touch the bottom of the pocket may still not be "fully" seated.

and the "feel" is different for different primers in different brass... If I seat a Fed primer w/ the exact amount of pressure I put on a Win primer, it won't be fully seated. It just takes experience. When in doubt, smash that $#&%'er. I've heard you can over-crush them, but it's not something I've experienced or seen or know anyone who has....

-rvb

Weekend off work finally! :goof: I'm game if you'd like a tag-a-long on Sunday? I've got a Pro chrono I can bring too, but I wouldn't mind comparing my readings to someone else's chrono(RVB).

Itl's on!

gimmie a shout on saturday and we will set a time up!

RVB if you are in let me know!!!! I have ammo to burn!!!

hmm. Sun would be my better day but they're calling for a high of 6... not sure how much validity we could put on chrono data at that point. I might be able to carve out some time Sat....

I do want to give my Limited glock a test run since I've put a couple new parts in it....

I'll discuss w/ the Boss and see what's up.

-rvb

Nobody waned to brave the cold with me yesterday, but I went and shot at the indoor range anyway. I took 300 rounds with me. 200 with the new Zero bullet, and 100 with the Precision Delta bullets. Didn't really see any big difference in accuracy or felt recoil between the two. I think the Zero's might have been a tad bit more accurate but it was so close that I would feel confident using both of them.

I stuck a paster on the IPSC cardboard target, sent it out 10 yards, loaded the pistol up, and the first shot went straight through the center of that paster! I put the gun back down and left............we I should have anyway. I did giggle like a school girl and jump up and down like I was doing the pee pee dance. That was pretty awesome!

At 10 and 15 yards, I could keep them all in the A zone no problem. The only issue for me was the SHIT trigger pull on my part. If I had a good squeeze the round went exactly where I wanted it to go. But if I turned the speed up.....the trigger pull was shit and then some. I was checking the alignment of the beavertail to the center of my forearm every time i griped the pistol, so I know that is correct. But I was feeling like I had to stretch to get the correct finger placement on the trigger. I experimented back and forth with moving my grip and finger placement.......but I could not get a consistent pull. I wonder if a short trigger would make a difference or not? I think I am going to get a short trigger and a gunsmith blank and play around with them and see how it goes. I am worried that if i get one too short that I will be putting too much finger on the trigger and end up not having the pad of my finger in the correct place. A new STI short trigger is pretty cheap so it won't be a huge undertaking to try it out.

I did get used to the grip and I found myself wanting it to be more aggressive.....I haven't really been through any reload drills with the gun, so I don't know if more aggressive would even be a good idea or not. I really need to figure this grip thing out soon so I can train with it. Phoenix Trinity has a waiting list going now and I am freaking out on weather or not to tell them I want on it or not.....I just wish someone had them in stock so I could just pull the trigger and pick one up already. I am tempted to just get the Extreme shooters grip and move on, but I am afraid that I will spend the money and wish that I had picked up the PT instead! I just can't make up my mind!!!! HELP!

The shooting went generally well. my biggest problem what that I was shooting out the cardboard on the A zone and I had to use my masking tape to hold it all together! Now that is a good problem to have! The only flyers were from my shit trigger pull. I was doing a little bit of controlled pairs work, but I wan't really happy with my trigger pull so I went back to singles. I could tell that the front sight was not tracking consistently, and my trigger pull also had me throwing shots as well.... So I don't think I am controlling the recoil like I should and I have established that I am jerking the trigger from time to time. I think I might seriously need some coaching or getting used to this is going to take forever (RVB if you are reading this, expect a call from me about coaching me on my trigger pull).

Look out if I get my shit together with this new blaster! I am determined to make A class this year and open a lot of eyes on the range!!!

" Who is that Handsome guy shooting that STI that is kicking ass?"

That Guy is going to be me!

Nobody waned to brave the cold with me yesterday, but I went and shot at the indoor range anyway.

(RVB if you are reading this, expect a call from me about coaching me on my trigger pull).

I had a church thing.... besides, is shooting indoors really "braving the cold?" ;)

Sure, I'd be happy to try to help. I will throw out a couple quick thoughts after reading your thread... if you are putting the round in the middle of a paster @ 10 yds slowfire, but having trouble with your hits when speeding up, don't go changing hardware just yet. You're doing something different.

- be sure you are seeing a good sight picture on each shot when shooting multiple rounds. it may be an alignment / visual patience / timing problem vs a trigger control problem.

- watch the tension, esp in your strong hand. get too tense / grip too hard and you can start 'milking' the gun. as you speed up it's natural to want to grip harder, and can cause problems. trying to 'ride the reset' can also cause extra tension in the trigger finger.

- make sure you are working your trigger the same as you speed up. you can practice starting slow and gradually speeding up in dryfire.

if we can't find time to get on the range soon, the FtW practice nights will be starting up in ~6 wks and I can help you out there.

-rvb

Thanks for the advice RVB. I really struggled with hand position during my practice because my index finger was fully extended when I had the pad of my finger on the trigger. So basically if the trigger was any longer, I wouldn't be able to even reach it. I was instructed earlier that there should be some bend in my trigger finger when the pad of that finger was properly on the trigger. Well......thanks to my little girly hands, I am at full extension with on gap between my finger and the frame of the gun. I am really struggling with pulling the trigger strait back......and it gets worse when I am trying to compensate for recoil and bring the sights back on target after that shot.

The trigger is only $32 bucks and I can take it back if I want.

What do ya think?

I have the STI insert trigger in my gun with the short, flat insert. If we want to try to get together anytime soon I can let you feel it to see if the length is better for you. you may or may not like the flat trigger compared to a curved one but itl give you an idea of the length of pull.

Thanks for the advice RVB. I really struggled with hand position during my practice because my index finger was fully extended when I had the pad of my finger on the trigger. So basically if the trigger was any longer, I wouldn't be able to even reach it. I was instructed earlier that there should be some bend in my trigger finger when the pad of that finger was properly on the trigger. Well......thanks to my little girly hands, I am at full extension with on gap between my finger and the frame of the gun. I am really struggling with pulling the trigger strait back......and it gets worse when I am trying to compensate for recoil and bring the sights back on target after that shot.

What do ya think?

If you think it'll help, go for it.

just dont plan on taking it back... most triggers need some fitting to even get them in the gun. and do some reading on how to install them and what to watch out for.

I'd like to see your grip first... it sounded like you were concerned more about where the beavertail landed than the trigger finger...

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I have the STI insert trigger in my gun with the short, flat insert. If we want to try to get together anytime soon I can let you feel it to see if the length is better for you. you may or may not like the flat trigger compared to a curved one but itl give you an idea of the length of pull.

You mean the SVI insert?

And yes! I would like to try it out!

Having girl hands sucks....

What do ya think?

If you think it'll help, go for it.

just dont plan on taking it back... most triggers need some fitting to even get them in the gun. and do some reading on how to install them and what to watch out for.

I'd like to see your grip first... it sounded like you were concerned more about where the beavertail landed than the trigger finger...

-rvb

Cool.

Yeah I have already been checking out how to do it for awhile now.

And yes about the beavertail.....I had the RO at Hillside coaching me while I was getting it sighted in. When I was lining the beavertail up with the center of my forearm, my groups closed up and recoil control got much better. But as a result, I have to stretch to get to the trigger a bit more than I would like...

Yeah I have heard of some people putting the SVI trigger on the STI bow......or they have to do some fitting of the SVI trigger into the STI grip.

I am hoping that if I get an STI trigger that there won't be as much fitting involved. I REALLY wold like the SVI, but I am not sure I wanna hack on my gun to get it to fit, and I don't currently have a smith that I know/have been to.

I'm down to head to the indoor range at Hillside any time just gimmie a shout. It only takes me about 10 minutes to make 100 rounds thanks to the case feeder on my Dillion, so even if you hit me up on short notice to shoot, I can whip up enough ammo to go!

Let's do this!

Well I have a new trigger installed, but when I took it all apart, the parts were not polished like they should be so I think I am taking it to a smith to have some TLC added to it. And that way I know the seer angles are all correct and shiny and all the good voo-doo magical stuff. I really like the shorter trigger and I really think it will improve that pulling to the left that I experienced the other day. I know that I will still have some work to do training myself as well, but at least this way I will know that the gun is doing it's part if I do mine. That will be a huge confidence builder for me. I was also able to feel the grip on a buddy's 2011 that did a reduction and stippling job.......wish I didn't do that. Now I want a different grip!!!

I didn't even get any rounds down range this weekend or load any ammo. I spent the whole time fooling with the trigger and then having someone else look at it to make sure I wasn't breaking anything. I need some range time!

Soon all the messing around with the gun will be over with and I can concentrate on the shooting....soon.

Found a smith and I am headed over there this weekend. After looking at the trigger and doing some research, I think that I would feel better if I knew that someone took the time to make sure the fit was perfect so there will be no question about the safety and reliability of the blaster. Peace of mind goes a long way.

Haven't done much dry fire this week so far, but I will try to change that tonight if I can. My time is going to be limited in the future.....found out the wife has another bun in the oven......ooops.