Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Its On Now

Sporky

I have been meaning to get this range diary starting and I finally got up the nerve to do it. Since this is the first post, I will start with the back story.

This is the first year for me shooting USPSA. As of 10-21-14 I have only been doing it for about 5 months. I was only a hobby shooter that was lucky to get out and shoot once a month if I was lucky. I went to a instructional 3 gun event at Hillside and had a great time and met some great people. I was so excited, I found a USPSA match in Warsaw and went the next day. Again I was lucky and I met RePete and his crew and they could have not been more friendly, helpful, and just great folks. I spent the day learning the ropes, and even learning to run the Nook. RePete even let me shoot a stage at the end of the match with his entire rig. To say I was hooked would be an understatement.

Jump ahead to 5 months later.....I am shooting limited (minor) with an M&P, I am D class, and I have taken just a little bit of private instruction. I move the stages well, and my stage plans are better than my classification shows. My fundamentals are $hit, and I am tired of shooting this M&P. It is a great gun, but it is showing my flaws on every target. I shoot groups just fine, but when I run a stage, i think the excitement is causing me to snatch the trigger pretty badly. I shot a few 2011's and the difference was ridiculous. Targets that I would have had an alpha charlie or mike on, were now two alpha and they were almost touching. So I am saving up as we speak. ( hard to do with a wife and a 13 month old ) At this point, the equipment is an issue, my movement on a stage is pretty good, fundamentals when shooting and moving need serious improvement, and I generally need to dry fire a lot more than I am. But i am wanting to do that practice with the new 2011 that I will be getting so I don't get any weird habits by switching guns. I also started reloading as well, so there is a learning curve there as well. I had a lot of great help along the way. But I found out that everyone has a little bit different way of doing it, so I am going to have to find "My" way with it.

Just for documentation purposes, let me write down some of the progress I have made, and what I need to work on:

• Went from FTE many targets on a stage to spending much more time "Burning it in" as Coach would say. That has made a huge difference in my times. Some of my times are in the A-B area on some stages.
  • Still going too fast for my shooting abilities. I don't want to go any slower i just want to bring my shooting ability up to my ability to move.
  • Fundamentals....dry fire is going to be my savior. I figured out that I am not griping the gun with enough force. When I concentrated on my grip on the last stage on the last Fort Wayne match, my score jumped like crazy. My speed was there and the shooting was catching up. I still need to make sure I am not pulling away from a target too soon to make the transition to the next target.
  • Classifiers: my brain and body have no connection when it is classifier time. I need to set them up on the range and practice them. Being a D class is embarrassing because I know I can do better. Again, a new gun will help, but I can't use that as a crutch....i need to get the basics down pat.
  • Sometimes slower is faster.....that is a hard one for me to do. Coach showed me the time and score difference just from being efficient and not such a spaz.
  • Find the right balance of taking it seriously, and having fun. When I am not doing well....I tend to be very hard on myself. There were several matches that were a total abortion, and I drove a long way to not even have any fun. So the moral of the story is, if I can shoot to my potential, I will have more fun.
  • Make more shooting friends. Just like everything else....my personality gets me in trouble sometimes. People really like me or really hate me...not a lot of in-between. So I need to try to figure out what I am doing that makes some people like me, and stop doing what people hate me for. I already try to be as helpful and I can be, but maybe I am not trying hard enough. I will try to do better. All I really want is to help out, and show them that I appreciate all the effort put into a match. And happy people are more fun to shoot with.
  • Help new people. I was fortunate to have help when I started so I need to pay that forward. And there were tons of times when I could have used some help that I didn't get any......so keep your eyes and ears open and don't let others miss the help that I did. Also, I need to learn as much as I can so that I can be of some help. Nobody like a know-it-all, but they also don't like shitty advise from someone that doesn't know what they are talking about. Keep learning as much as you can......and don't be a dick.

OK.....now the work begins.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck on your journey. Classifiers are just another stage, or so they say :). Now that you've started to reload you may see quick gains with your M&P there's a world of difference between shooting ammo that you load and know exactly how it runs in your gun over store box ammo. The fact that you've found someone that will coach you puts you miles ahead of some of use that are going it alone.

I just started a range diary too. It reads just like mine. Looks like we are in the same boat. One thing to consider is jumping to production. I started limited minor too because I didn't have enough mag pouches for my glock 34. It might bed good to do production while you save up for your limited gun. By then your reloads and accurate shooting will be improved drastically. Just a thought. That's what I did then realized I like production division a lot. I'll still save for a limited but I'm not waiting eagerly for it.

Awesome man! I like the idea of get the speed down first then let the shooting get better. I'm taking a class from CHA-LEE next week so I'll see if that decision will be wise for me in production.

I wouldn't say it is the best idea to start out fast and then become a better shot.....there is a new guy that is going to be passing me by pretty quickly because he is a much better shot, even though I move 10 times faster than him..

I don't have a ton of coaching, just a session or two. Most of the time I am just asking a bunch of questions, reading a lot, and watching videos of my self compared to other people.

I know of another person that made A class in one year because he had a bunch of good shooters to practice and travel to matches with. Plus it looks like he practices a great deal as well. I am just trying to motivate myself as much as possible to get out and practice, but I almost always do that alone as well.

I am going to make it to the range tomorrow afternoon if it doesn't rain, and if I get enough bullets made.

Oh and there is a reason I don't shoot production.......I hate reloading the gun that much!!!!!

Well....shot one of my favorite matches this Sunday down at ACC. I didn't do as well as I had hoped, but I did do a few things pretty well. Overall not the greatest score, but I did get a 3rd and a 4th on a couple of stages. My stage planning is coming along nicely, and I am moving well between positions. I spent most of the match reminding myself to grip the gun tightly, and focus on the front site. When I do that correctly, I shoot top 5 at least. When I don't.....14-15th place at best. I am encouraged to know that when I shoot well, I can beat M and A level shooters. I just need the consistency to do better over all. Shooting limited Minor is a challenge as well. I know I am dropping points left and right. All I can think about is getting an STI of some sort! I am sooooooo curious to see what scores I could get when I am not dropping points.

I am trying not to be too hard on myself all the time, and i'm trying to work on a couple of things at matches. Instead of trying to do everything all the time, I am just concentrating on two things at a time. One is the stage plan and burning it into my head. I think that is coming along nicely and I am satisified with that considering my experience level. (5 months). Two is my shooting fundamentals. Specifically gripping the pistol tightly, and front site focus. I knew when I had that 3rd place on a stage right away. When I finish with a stage and I can remember seeing my sights and calling shots, then I know I did well ( for me ). But when I finish a stage and close my eyes and try to think about a run and all I can remember is seeing targets......then I know it is nothing but doom on that stage.

I am sure a 2011 pistol will help me with my fundamentals (at least the ones that I have already shot) until they catch up with my movement abilities. My goal next year are:

• Have a 2011 blaster of good quality and dependability
  • dry fire enough to be rock solid with my sight picture
  • gain enough strength in my hands, wrists, and forearms to control recoil and be rock solid EVERY TIME
  • get my knee fixed so I can be even faster between positions
  • Shoot more steel so I am not so paranoid when they come up on a stage
  • Set up and practice classifiers so I can get my a$$ out of D class ( embarrassing )
  • Once I have my grip and recoil control figured out....work on my splits. I am not shooting the closer targets as quickly as most of the people in the classes above me. Something I really noticed this last match

I am glad I am writing this all down........I will make a point to look at this again at the start of next season and see where I end up.

I can't imagine your M&P is holding you back to D class, though you may be better off in production with minor scoring. If you just hit the dry fire hard you'll move up a couple classes easy. I'd probably put the money into ammo instead of a 2011. Unless you are just dead set on shooting limited.

+1 on ammo over a new gun. An M&P with some mag extensions and a decent trigger can get you far. Minor shouldn't be seen as a crutch, so much as a motivation to actually aim! I catch myself pretty often giving up easy points because "well I'm shooting major, how much difference does the front sight REALLY make?" I know a couple of really really good limited shooters that shoot minor for various reasons and still do well. 23 round mags is pretty cool too.

I also agree on shooting Production while you save for a cool STI (if that is what you want to do). I kinda wish that is what I had done instead of continuing to shoot Limited minor like i did.. Forces you to focus on stage breakdown and getting good hits. And lots of reloads.

Dude, I'm glad you are having so much fun and making progress. I hope you do well. My only advice is calm down and don't push so hard. It's a long road and have to remember to have fun and if you push too hard you could wind up burning out or losing the magic because you get hung up on some problem that "you just can't get past."

Everyone has their own pace, but I just thought I'd give you a word of caution against potential burn out.

When it comes to goal setting and analyzing your shooting be sure to read Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning in Mind." It really did wonders for my goal setting and made my shooting more fun.

good luck.

Thanks so much for all the input guys! I really appreciate it.

I don't mean to blame the gun for my being stuck in D class. I just know that I will do so much better with a 2011 from the limited experience I have shooting them. And I plan on doing a TON of dryfire this off season because I am going to go nuts not being able to go shoot every weekend!

I know the major problem lies in my fundamentals.....and the heavier 2011's will let me get by until it get better. The weight helps with recoil, the trigger helps me with not slapping the trigger as much, and DAMN they look cool too.

I am hoping to keep a plastic fantastic gun so I can really work on my fundamentals without any "crutches" as well. I really admire the guys that can run those guns quickly and accurately. In my limited experience they are much less "forgiving" of your flaws.

In the mean time, I will be watching the classifieds and eating ramen noodles to save up for the Unicorn Gun!

Been looking into grip strength lately. I have been a gym rat most of my adult life, but since my Perfect Son was born 13 months ago, I haven't been in the gym at all. I am going to try to get the "Fat Gripz" type of product and see how that goes. Maybe something else I can just stick in my pocket and do while I am at work. ( Network Administrator AKA computer geek )

I am also hoping that when I get back in shape over the winter, that moving between positions in a match will be quicker and I can shave some time there, as well as be able to have time to aim a bit more.

IF anyone has worked on grip strength and had some success feel free to chime in!

Good idea to work the grip. We can easily hit it too hard and wind up with Tennis Elbow. Lot's of us shooters have it. (or Shooters Elbow rather.)
I've been fighting Tennis Elbow (outside hurts) and Golfers Elbow (inside hurts) for years now. I'm having great success lately. Here's what I did.
1. Rest.
2. Acupuncture.
3. Handmaster. http://www.amazon.com/Ghs-A12-Handmaster-Plus-Exerciser/dp/B0002GWFSW

The acupuncture has been the single most effective treatment. My right arm pain went away months ago after acupuncture and recently my left arm has been healed up too. I still get a bit of pain if I work the grip too hard, so I'm taking it easy with the handmaster for now. Once the pain is gone I can built strength more aggressively.

Seems like if you are healthy now a good exercise plan and you might build the strength before you develop some elbow issue.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

WOOOHOOO!!!

Just found my new USPSA card update in the mail......and guess what?!1!!!/!??!?1?1/!?

I AM C Class in limited now!!!!

Now I have to set my goals a bit higher for the upcoming year. I wonder if I can hit A class? My previous goal as to move up two classes.

When I start shooting Major power factor, I wonder how much my scores will improve?

Don't Make fun of my getting excited about C class...I was pretty stoked about it.

Congratulations! Don't minimize the difficulty in getting to B - you might pop right out of C, or maybe extended period of time, just keep working the fundamentals and it will fall into place for you. Personally, I wouldn't worry about timeframe to A until you are a B :-)

WOOOHOOO!!!

Just found my new USPSA card update in the mail......and guess what?!1!!!/!??!?1?1/!?

I AM C Class in limited now!!!!

Now I have to set my goals a bit higher for the upcoming year. I wonder if I can hit A class? My previous goal as to move up two classes.

When I start shooting Major power factor, I wonder how much my scores will improve?

Don't Make fun of my getting excited about C class...I was pretty stoked about it.

Congratulations!!

All it takes is a moderate amount of consistent dry fire practice, occasional live fire practice and a couple matches a month to improve. Let's face it, most people/shooters don't have the time or ammo to live fire practice as much as we'd like to. Dry fire (for me) was easy to do in the beginning because I was so ate up with shooting and the sport. After a while, it can become boring and feel more like work than fun.

It sounds like you are in the fun stage and I'm jealous of you!! Keep up the good work!!

• 1 month later...

Well I made the plunge into a 2011!!!

I just placed my order for a shiny new 2011 and the reloading dies and conversion kit as well! Next step is mags and holster and I am ready to start this journey.

I am going to be in misery untill that blaster shows up at the FFL!

Ordered a Dawson CRP. Figured that would be a good starting point for me. And I was finding it hard to spend a ton on something used for my first 2011. I couldn't be more excited. Now I need to decide on which holster. ...

Congratulations Sporky! I plan on getting a membership to FWRRC by the months end so we can actually practice this game instead of standing and shooting at static targets, or shooting at a range that doesn't allow fast draws or rapid firing. Can't wait to see that in action.

Meh. That gun is "ok" I guess. If you're into the "highly reliable and bad ass" kind of thing. I think you will go far with that gun.

Opinions on holsters is like... well, opinions on everything else.

Personally, I'm hooked on my DAA Race Master. It's never given me any hassle. The one key element for me is the tension. Not all holsters have a tension knob (Ghost for example) and with my "scoop" draw I like the tension on it so the gun doesn't come out of the holster until I start to pull up.

Other than that, there are many good holsters out there, and you just have to buy one and see if you like it.

Just don't skimp! It's like, when a guy buys a Ferrari, do you see him pull into Walmart for his tires?

Edited by Glock26Toter

Congratulations Sporky! I plan on getting a membership to FWRRC by the months end so we can actually practice this game instead of standing and shooting at static targets, or shooting at a range that doesn't allow fast draws or rapid firing. Can't wait to see that in action.

we can go to hillside and practice from the holster if u want. I am a member there. Hit me up anytime

Meh. That gun is "ok" I guess. If you're into the "highly reliable and bad ass" kind of thing. I think you will go far with that gun.

Opinions on holsters is like... well, opinions on everything else.

Personally, I'm hooked on my DAA Race Master. It's never given me any hassle. The one key element for me is the tension. Not all holsters have a tension knob (Ghost for example) and with my "scoop" draw I like the tension on it so the gun doesn't come out of the holster until I start to pull up.

Other than that, there are many good holsters out there, and you just have to buy one and see if you like it.

Just don't skimp! It's like, when a guy buys a Ferrari, do you see him pull into Walmart for his tires?

Ha! Thanks. I am going for the DAA holster for sure now. Now I just need some load data for .40 to use with the e3 or tightgroup that I have!

Bout time you started one of these :). Good to hear you pulled the trigger on the Edge. Can't wait to play with it, lol. I use a DAA myself and love it. Very secure, even when unlocked.

Hope winter gets over with soon so we can hit the outdoor range again :)

Bout time you started one of these :). Good to hear you pulled the trigger on the Edge. Can't wait to play with it, lol. I use a DAA myself and love it. Very secure, even when unlocked.

Hope winter gets over with soon so we can hit the outdoor range again :)

I am dying to get some shooting in!!!!! When that shiny new blaster shows up it will be even worse!!

Any suggestions for a load for this thing? I don't have a bullet chosen yet, but I do have Titegroup and e3 powder. The new dies should be showing up soon but I was also thinking about getting the Bludge buster push through die as well....