Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recently got some Hodgdon LongShot

RippSpeed

Try 7.5 and work up. It's been quite a while since I've used loudshot, but I just looked at my old records and I ended at 8.2 with a 115 mg jhp at 1.235

What kind of FPS did you see? Been doing the max load from there website and felt snappy but 8.2 is a ton lol, its this a full case @ 8.2gn?

Grump, is that 9mm or SC? I'm at 1480 with a MG 115 JHP on top of 8.2 with 1.225 OAL in SC. Two popple holes.

Work up slowly with Longshot. It will reach a max speed and then as you add more powder the speed will actually fall off. When it did this in SC for me I had no pressure signs at all which made me...... nervous. Your ES will jump up when you are at the point of diminishing return as well.

Work up slowly with Longshot. It will reach a max speed and then as you add more powder the speed will actually fall off. When it did this in SC for me I had no pressure signs at all which made me...... nervous. Your ES will jump up when you are at the point of diminishing return as well.

I saw this as well with longshot. Another member pointed out that this powder shows to be very slow on the burn rate chart and once you reach a certain point no more powder can be physically burned in a pistol length barrel, and all that you will get is more flash and unburned powder out the barrel. I'm not certain that it is really that dangerous once you get to that level but work up slowly just in case.

That being said I really like longshot, when I had my 9 major gun I was running 7.4 grains with a 124 and now use 7.7 grains with a 124 in my 38 super gun. The only problem is both of those are shorty open guns and the plateau area is only about 168-169 PF on both of those guns/ loads and is a little close to minor to use at major matches for me.

Range update:

175PF w/ 7.6grs of LongShot, 1.170oal, a

Remington 6 1/2 primer and 125jhp Montana Gold ...

Happy camper it meters great and is alot cleaner than HS6.

I loaded 5 rds each from 7grs to 8.2grs.

I started seeing prime flow at 8grs...

It was weird though at heres my range date for u guys to read thru

7.2grs 125JHP 1.170oal

hi = 1361

lo = 1348

avg= 1354

pf 169.25

7.4grs 125jhp

hi = 1366

lo = 1346

avg= 1358

pf = 169.75

7.6grs 125jhp

hi = 1416

lo = 1383

avg= 1402

pf = 175.25

7.8grs 125jhp

hi = 1375

lo = 1359

avg= 1365

pf = 170.62

8grs 125jhp

hi = 1396

lo = 1378

avg= 1386

pf = 173.25

I stopped there becaude of primer flow

That's some odd data. The power factor dropping after 7.6 is expected with this powder but I've never seen it start to go back up after dropping off like you have. Definitely need to run more than 5 round. That one abnormally high round in the 7.6 batch may be messing with you average.

That's some odd data. The power factor dropping after 7.6 is expected with this powder but I've never seen it start to go back up after dropping off like you have. Definitely need to run more than 5 round. That one abnormally high round in the 7.6 batch may be messing with you average.

Very true ... but I chrono the way they would chrono me at any big match ... mis matched brass and only 3 to 5 rounds ... But of course I'm going to doubel verify before heading to Area 2 next weekend and will post my results again ...

The most important data from your chronograph is the Standard Deviation (STD) and you didn't include that. Bottom line is trying to use 3 rounds to measure your average velocity is extremely difficult (because of the huge statistical uncertainty using only 3 samples). I've done the statistical analysis and highly recommend using the following method. You should use 8 rounds (that's all you need) to measure your velocity and STD. Use these measurements as follows. My guidance is to add 2 to 2.5 times your standard deviation to the required velocity to make PF. This gives you your load velocity. This method will give you a high certainty of meeting PF (on the order of 90 to 95% certainty).

For a 155 grain bullet, an average velocity of at least 1065 ft/sec is needed to meet major power factor. Lets say your typical measured standard deviation for this load is 15 fps. Simply add 30 ft/sec (2*STD=2*15) which results in an average load velocity of 1065+30 = 1095 ft/sec. Again,measure it with 8 rounds. Note that you still need to account for big factors that affect velocity such as ammo temperature, barrel temp and cleanliness but this is the best way to ensure you meet power factor.

I hope this helps!

Heres range results

1=1387

2=1419

3=1357

4=1380

5=1380

6=1381

7=1396

8=1404

9=1384

10=1412

HI=1419 = PF = 177.37

LO=1357 = PF = 169.62

AVG=1390= PF =173.75

ES=62

SD=18

weather:

74 degrees

sunny

chrono shot under shade

Load :

1.170 oal

125jhp 357 sig 0.355 diameter

remington 6 1/2 small rifle primer

7.6grs of LONGSHOT

This is mixed once fired brass ...

Edited by RippSpeed

So for a 165 PF the min velocity is 1320 fps. If you add 2 to 2.5 times your STD it gives you a desired load velocity of 1356 to 1365. Personally I find that 170 or slightly above is a sweet spot but there is nothing wrong with a few extra PF points. I know some people that recommend up to 175. Once you know how your powder behaves at worse case temperatures you could reduce the velocity if you want. If you can’t tell a difference in perceived recoil and it shoots accurately then I say you have a winner!

I usually warm up the gun with a mag or two before I chrono and I chrono at least twice to make sure the STD is consistent (within a few fps or so). 8 rounds is all you need since 2 and 2.5 were calculated based on 8 samples. FYI - my STD for my comp load is usually about 12 to 16 fps. I load in 200 to 500 rnd batches and I chrono it about every 1000 round or so.