Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Reloads for 8 Shot Minor

jeremy45

I personally tempt fate. I only have 5 spare speed loaders on my belt, although I carry two speed loaders in my back pocket often. Rarely have I had to go to the two in my pocket, except for when I just have a bad run usually due to a plate rack that I don't engage well.

It's not about the amount of rounds you carry, but the amount of moon clips vs the needs of the course for reloads. A 30 round course that is set in 6 shot strings will require a minimum of 5 8 shot clips. Add 2 plates at a 6th spot and you better have a 6th moon clip. Add in any issues with say a Polish Plate Rack or Texas Star and you can well need a 7th or 8th moon clip.

I settled on a 5 post North Mountain and use 1 of the 10 as my starter moon clip. That gives me 9 reloads for the brain fade/front sight issues that cause those extra shots. And for those fumble finger times when I've grabbed a moon clip and had the bottom one come flying off also!

That's only 80 rounds, my Limited rig is 3 spares on the belt and 1 in the gun for 80 rounds, Single Stack is a spare in the pocket for the 1st round, 1 in the gun and 6 on the belt for 64 rounds and if the course warrants it I have an extra pouch that I can add 2 more to the belt for 80 rounds.

I always fill my rack when I go to the line. In my case that's eight moon clips.

I load strong hand and usually grab moons from right to left. But if I'm shooting to my left and need a reload, I'll grab one closer to the gun.

The other advantage to a full rack is that when I'm gathering spent moonclips, I can look down and immediately know if I'm missing one.

I always fill my rack when I go to the line. In my case that's eight moon clips.

I load strong hand and usually grab moons from right to left. But if I'm shooting to my left and need a reload, I'll grab one closer to the gun.

The other advantage to a full rack is that when I'm gathering spent moonclips, I can look down and immediately know if I'm missing one.

That's a good idea, it's not like moon clips are free and leaving them on a stage can get expensive.