Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Videos for the Beginner?

benos

I've had many requests as to which videos are the best at explaining the essentials of shooting to a beginner. Lets's rank them in 2 categories - 1) Good, logical explanatory type (a+b+c = d); and 2) More intuitive type - meaning you may either have to have some experience, or you have to "read between the lines" to get the info.

What do you think?

Thanks,

be

• 4 months later...

I have an old one of John Shaw. Back in the days when the thing to do while loading a 1911 was to pull the trigger with the hammer down and then rack the slide. He has a good 1, 2, 3 step as well. I have watched the burner series as well. Pistol Masters kicked ass, as did How to Shoot Fast Accurately. I have asked my wife to get IPSC Secrets for my B-Day next month.

• 4 weeks later...

IPSC Secrets is pretty good, but I think a person needs a bit of experience to get the most out of it (2).

I have most of the Burner's tapes and they are OK. I would start with his Limited Overview tape and go from there (1).

I have the entire collection of tapes by Ron Avery and they start at entry level skills (1) but some of his instruction is best understood by shooters who have some experience (2).

• 4 weeks later...

I liked "Shooter Ready" with Rob Leatham. Really. No, I mean it. Seriously. :)

Yes it's a little dated, and very basic, but wow, when you're learning, and just looking at "visual cue", who better to emulate than TGO himself?

I've since moved on to BE's book, and Jarret's tape (which is ok, but also kinda basic). I'm really looking forward to seeing Matt Burkett's series, soon as I save my pennies.

Matt Burkett's Videos are great for a beginner on up.  I have not seen Ron Avery's videos or the Burner's, but I have seen a good many others.  They are much more thorough and of course modern than the others.  The interview with Brian is great as well.  Touches on some great stuff and should lead people to his book and here to further the learning process.

Agreed, Matt's newly released videos detail everything the entry level competitor would want/need to know. In addition, I'm sure they hold a new tip or two for the more advanced competitor.

On the interview - I've heard feedback, third person through Matt, that some liked it and some did not. I'd love to hear any negative feedback if anyone hears it. I felt I communicated what I wanted to fairly well, and even attempted to provide a little "a to b to c" for the more sensing oriented viewers. Was it too abstract, too boring, or maybe some just don't dig me. :) It's all OK with me. But I would like to hear any suggestions for improvement.

Thanks,

be

• 2 weeks later...

For thoroughness, you can't beat Jerry Barnhart's 10 volume set.  It's expensive but it pretty much covers every conceivable topic.

Todd Jarret's video is well made but the slightly advanced shooter might not find anything new in it.  The most interesting aspect of this video is Todd Jarret's almost complete dismissal of the mental aspect of shooting.

I liked Matt Burkett's video series.  The concept was good.  You had one guy who was doing stuff wrong and Burkett showing us the right way.   I liked this system since you can somtimes learn more from people's mistakes than watching things being perfectly done.  It's a nice compare and contrast. The last tape was a classic - two grand masters sitting on the back of a pickup truck discussing practical shooting.  No prissy television sets for them.  Also this last tape finally acknowledged what I had always felt - depth perception ain't that important in practical pistol shooting!  

Most Lenny Magill videos are all about the same - usually better when Lenny interviews someone (like Brian Enos) rather than giving his own opinion.  Be careful though on outdated 80's videos.  They're good for historical perspectives on the evolution of technique but bad on modern perspectives -except for when Leatham or Enos are speaking.  Those guys got it right a long time ago.

• 2 months later...

Just bought the  Avery tapes so I thought I would post to this forum my opinion about the aids I have bought.

To set the stage I am 52 yo been doing this about 5yrs and am  a solid C class shooter.  Could die a happy man if I make it to B.

Secrets tape from Lenny Magill (sp?) First tape i bought. Good for a beginner. Learned alot.

BE book. Read it twice before I began to understand it.  Still read parts and go HUH?  Now have two copies one for home and one at my vacation home. Every time i read it i learn something new.

Barnharts tapes Wow! a lot of info,  some may be outdated. Expensive but worth it. I am missing one of the tapes as my dog chewed it up and I plan to replace it.

Jarrett tape.  Short and sweet.  If you only have an hour before the match this is the one to watch

Burkett tapes.  A little disjointed but BE's portion great.  Perhaps I'll understand more of the book when I reread it.

Avery tapes.  Very good.  Several interesting drills which i plan to incorporate.

Also took a course with Todd Jarrett.  What a blast.  Lots of rounds down range and a chance to ask questions to the Todd God.  NOW IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER HALF OF WHAT HE SAID.

Hope this helps

• 4 months later...

I have only seen Ron Avery's 3 tape series, the only thing I can say is that it is OUTSTANDING.  Ron gets down to the nitty gritty of every movement, drills.  He bombards you with information.  I have been shooting USPSA for 5 years and I was astounded by the amount of info he puts out.  He isn't using his name to put together some tape that briefly grazes several subject, I bought Todd Jarrets tape and was very dissapointed because it's so basic.  Ron knows firearms instruction and is a super nice guy as well.  

I liked Matt B's tapes.  As has been state previously watching someone doing something wrong and then seeing how to do it correctly seems to help.  Also I really enjoyed the interview with BE.  Shooter Ready was my first instructional tape and I like it.  The only problem is it's just too d**n short.  I also like IPSC Secrets by Lenny McGill (sp ?)  I am reading Brians book and every new shooter should get a copy.  I also like Matt B's book.  Just the ramblings of a rank beginner.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the DVD's today and of course the best part is the interview with Brian.  It just made me have to go reread the book again.

The rest of the tapes cover the basics and continue to drive home the right ways and wrong ways of doing things.  The style of teaching is a little hard for me to swallow, I guess you have a guy like Kevin to show the common mistakes, or we would never think of what it looks like to do it wrong.

I also have Pistol Masters, Shooter Ready, and How to Shoot Fast and Accurately, and I like them better.  

In Shooter Ready you can't even compare Burkett to Leatham when Rob goes prone, you know he is into it.