Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIRT dry fire practice laser pistol training?

1eyedfatman

Anybody using the SIRT training pistol which shoots the lasers? Its Glock 17 like and comes in different models. There is also computer software which lets you shoot at targets which the computer registers hits through the PC camera. Questions:

- The Pro has the steel slide and weighs like the real Glock and also has the high powered green laser ideal for outside training. Anybody using the Pro model for indoors also with the computer software? Is the green laser to strong for this or can the red and green be switched so it uses the lighter red? The red is normally lower and used to show slack takeout in trigger, while the green fires on the trigger break.

- The Training model has red/red laser and is 4oz less in weight and has a plastic upper. It is also up to $200 less. Is this model better for training indoors or is one better off with the heavier Pro.

I received good results from the SIRT.

Just like anything you can train wrong with it. "Looking for the dot" is something to always avoid. I would say it is mandatory that you shoot with both eyes open.

The savings in ammo by going through stages after local matches more than paid for the cost.

I bought mine when there was only a green laser version. I couldn't see the red take-up laser outdoors.

Going at speed and seeing a green "dash" told me that I was throwing shots and working the trigger wrong. This kept me honest during dry-fire.

The red dot on the take up showed me where my muzzle was pointed during draw. Removed a lot of extra movement this way.

The rubber magazines are great. They have adjustable weights and are very durable.

The adjustable trigger is also nice. Crank it up and when you go to your match gun it'll feel like a match 1911 target trigger.

Having a "training" pistol lying on the kitchen table was better received by my wife than my Glock sitting there. She knows guns and safety was the issue. Dry-fire trigger time went way up since it the SIRT is always out.

It's also a great cat-toy.

You also don't see many used ones for sale...

As for using a PC to register hits might be useful for bullseye but for action pistol calling shots as the shot is fired is crucial.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

I use one. It's wonderful mainly due to the resetting trigger. The lasers are not really useful for more than maybe 30 seconds at a time if you dry fire a lot. You start focusing on the laser, still making great "shots", but you really do not want to be training to look at the target and not your sights. After a minute or two it is nearly impossible to keep the laser light a part of your peripheral vision and not focus on it. I turn off the trigger prep laser, and put a short screw in the hole for the shot-break laser. That way it's just me and the sights, just like it should be. I've actually been planning on modifying the front sight and putting an FO rod in it to mimic real sights.

Sometimes I use the shot-break laser, but it's less than 0.5% of the time. Once the batteries go dead, I'll probably not replace them.

I got one because I can't have firearms at work (no tolerance, typical giant corporation), and I can use it on my breaks to dryfire without being immediately terminated.

Edited by Dr Mitch