Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Announced 3-Gun Majors Google Earth Overlay Map

This seems the best forum for this. If not, please move it, or let me know where to put it so that I can move it. ;)

I created an overlay for Google Earth that shows all the currently announced 2015 multigun majors listed in this thread. The icons are labeled with the month (or months if there's more than one event at that location) and an abbreviated name for the event. For example, for the Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun event in March, the label on the icon reads "Mar - Superstition Mt". Then, if you actually click on the icon, a window pops up that says "March 27-29 Supersition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun -- Mesa, AZ". For the record, with a couple of exceptions, the icons are not located at the actual event sites. They're simply centered on the city where event is held. If no date was specified, I put the month and ???. If no location was listed, it was left off entirely.

So if you have any interest in seeing how the events are laid out across the country:

Start up Google Earth (or download it and start it if you don't have it already), then go up to the [FILE] menu in Google Earth in the upper left hand corner, click it, choose OPEN from the drop down menu, then navigate wherever you have saved the kml file I've posted a link to below and open it. Voila! I used the "Tiny Upload" file sharing site for the file sharing. Never used it before, but it seems straight forward. Link to the new page at their site and choose to download the file. Here it is:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=04291938738503395858

One more thing. If the labels for states and cities and state borders make it all a little too busy for you to look at, got to the sidebar/tool window on the lower left side of Google Earth, and uncheck "Borders and Labels". That will get rid of everything except the event icons and labels, and it's a lot easier to look at.

Happy a few find it interesting. It's not like it's a "must have" tool, and in fact is of very limited utility, but I figured if even one person found a "near enough" match to attend that he/she wouldn't have otherwise known about or gone to, then it would be worth sharing, and it looks like EaZeNuTZ has already met that threshhold for me, so I'm happy. ;)