Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New or used 2011

mulrick

I'm having the same decision problems without the state interference. I was thinking Brazos, Akai, or a local gun builder. Those all are 2800 and up. A friend of mine suggested getting a stock Edge and going from there. It may not be the best 2011 but its better than any polymer gun and very upgradable.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went with the STI marauder in 40. It has the short dust cover and bushing barrel so you can use it in limited, 3-gun, and IDPA esp. Plus, it has a rail if I ever hit up a night match. Seems like a great cross-games choice!

I would suggest buying frames now and build one from the ground up. You can buy one frame and have 2 uppers built for it (40 and 9) and I would recommend 1911 Speed Shop in Riverside, CA.

+1 i just built a limited .40 from Jimmy @ 1911 speed shop he did a fantastic job... Bought frame from Phoenix trinity and Single shot exemptioned it.. You have toll Dec 31 to do it..

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I ended up going the used route since deal came along that I just couldn't pass up.

Ill post pics when I pick it up, but I ended up getting a 6" Caspian hi-cap in .40. Built by Rich over at Canyon Creek Customs.

nice, now where are the pictures

Still have to wait 2 more days in this ass backwards state... so I can cool off, and not go commit a crime with a $3K custom pistol designed for competition that i just bought as opposed to the 40+ firearms I already own... :ph34r:

Man, you hombres have it bad there. If I were in your shoes I would get as many raw frames as I could. Seems to me that in the not too distant future selling one of those frames in state FTF in accordance with the laws would make enough profit to build up a nice pistol.

Good luck!

Man, you hombres have it bad there. If I were in your shoes I would get as many raw frames as I could. Seems to me that in the not too distant future selling one of those frames in state FTF in accordance with the laws would make enough profit to build up a nice pistol.

Good luck!

I hear you... the biggest bummer is that the state of CA only allows you one handgun per 30 day period. so unfortunately this was my last DROS of the year.

on a side note I have found out that out of state grandparents can gift through in interfamilial transfer. Luckily my grandfather is still with us and lives in NC so I should be able to have him gift me a couple over the next year.

Good luck!

I hear you... the biggest bummer is that the state of CA only allows you one handgun per 30 day period. so unfortunately this was my last DROS of the year.

on a side note I have found out that out of state grandparents can gift through in interfamilial transfer. Luckily my grandfather is still with us and lives in NC so I should be able to have him gift me a couple over the next year.

Good on ya for keeping up the shooting sports there in the land of sunshine and f-tarded politicians.

Good luck!

Good on ya for keeping up the shooting sports there in the land of sunshine and f-tarded politicians.

Thanks, Sad part is that CA actually has a ton of people interested in competitive shooting sports but our laws are really hurting the "new" guys to the sport. We have such an amazing 3-gun club here and some great USPSA ranges, but attendance from the younger crowd is definitely down.

So did you get it? Post a pic! I got a couple STIs myself recently. Edge and marauder, just because of the SSE thing. Took a hit to the pocketbook but there's slim chances of getting one from here on out.

So did you get it? Post a pic! I got a couple STIs myself recently. Edge and marauder, just because of the SSE thing. Took a hit to the pocketbook but there's slim chances of getting one from here on out.

:cheers:

The law of unintended consequences right? I've done one SSE per 30 for the last two years!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to taking a few pictures. Rich sure builds nice guns.

I particularly like some of his detail work like his checkering on the rear of the slide, trigger guard and the slide lightening cuts. All in all an extremely tight gun,super soft shooting. The trigger is a thing of beauty.post-43844-141970254906_thumb.jpgpost-43844-141970256998_thumb.jpgpost-43844-141970258909_thumb.jpgpost-43844-141970260705_thumb.jpgpost-43844-141970263643_thumb.jpgpost-43844-141970265451_thumb.jpg

Edited by mulrick

Thanks, finish is wearing from holster draws, but otherwise this is perfect. I actually might have it send out for coating in some sort of PVD... seems like there are plenty of new coating options with colors all over the place, other that the old black or gold.

Congrats on the Hi-Capacity. That's what I'm going to end up with when I replace my current Limited gun. BTW, unless they fibbed on the timeline, Caspian will have a bunch of brand new 18-round reloadable 40 mags on the shelf starting today. I think they were around $75 each. The last time they had them they sold out almost immediately, so move quickly.