Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jesse Holder

g17drumr

Finally got my timer and did a legitimate dry fire session last night. painfully obvious that my transitions are my biggest problem. Just started using ben stoeger's dry fire book. i had to alter the par time on the transitions MUCH more than on any of the other ones in the learning drills section. Learned that if i focus on my weak hand in the draw im much more consistant in getting a good grip and the strong hand just does what it needs to automatically. was able to keep faster par times and consistantly after figuring this out. think im going to start the accurate but slow training plan tonight and stick with that for a while. Just made B so im hoping if i start with some regular dryfire training i can get to an A level sooner.

Did USPSA core section last night. I think this one is going to be one of the best sections for me since there are a lot of drills with transitions in this section. Probably do this one again tonight. Need to remember to print off tracking sheets so i can keep up with my progress and notice any changes

shot the statesville match sunday. Not a good first B class match for me. had trouble with the steel on the first stage shot the rest of the stages too slow and 2 mikes on the weak hand only array on the classifier 03-07 riverdale standards. dont know why i was shooting slower than normal and my percentage of points didnt reflect the slower shooting...just a bad day i guess. 3rd of 4 B class and 6 of 34 overall production

• 2 weeks later...

Well we went to the maryland state match this past weekend and i shot better than i thought i would... 17th out of 74 in production. 3rd B out of 17 missed 2nd by half a match point and first by 4.5 match points. not bad for my first major as B and only second or third match as B. Plus if i had of put the stupid grenade in the bucket on stage 1 that would have bumped be up enough to take first B, but still a great match and had a lot of fun

Edited by g17drumr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugE_6dN9oMY STAGE 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EzbLl1VU0A STAGE 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRESJO0fQsA STAGE 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TFQZWon-y8 STAGE 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s076XZjUrgY STAGE 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnuhhidUgjg STAGE 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlMJRTVMM8I STAGE 9

Here are the videos from MD Sectional. I haven't gotten a chance to really look through them good but i can tell i could save a lot of time if i focused on moving faster i know i can move faster than that but i just dont think about it when shooting i need to get from postion a to position b as fast as possible. If anyone has any other comments or observations of what im doing or need to be doing please share

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched your vids. Looks to me like your movement issues are all below the waist. (hehehe...don't worry, I'll explain.)

Bend your knees more and get way lower. The thing I see a lot is you de-stabilizing your shooting platform. Those "leaning while shooting" moves are not helping, but only causing you to drag out the position as you fight your momentum to keep the gun on target. You need to ease into your positions and use your legs as shock absorbers to slow your movement into a position, then shoot with bent knees and a stable platform. Then push very hard, out of the position to the next. You'll also find, that with bent knees when you transition your hips AND upper body will pivot and speed those transitions up big time. That won't happen unless your knees are bent and your feet are at least shoulder width apart. Watch some of Panda's You Tube vids. I know he's a GM but he has a similar build. Don't worry about how darn lightning fast he is, and just watch general body position while shooting and transitioning. Watching smaller, wiry guys won't help you as much as guys with similar frames. I do the same thing.... try to compare my movements with similar builds and that's helped me get a realistic idea of what I should look like. I hope that helps you a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I shot at rowan this weekend. it's been a while since MD state and i only had one short parctice/playing around session since then. I didn't do as well as i hoped picked up a few penalties.

On the video:

First stage: way too fast for me and i got the deltas to prove it, also made an extra reload

Second stage: not too bad probably could improve coming into that middle array with the noshoots

Third stage: Times Two classifier got a mike on next to last target only dropped one charlie otherwise still good for low b class % even with the mike would have been like 84 though.

Fourth stage: Too slow on first array and i think i was jerking the trigger got a mike noshoot on the center array...it was the middle or right target i can't remember.

there were two other stages i didnt get on film one was another classifier i just shot slow and with bad hits and then a field course(i think a friend got this on his camera but i dont have it yet) i thought i started out well but then got trigger freeze on a quick 3 target array did well on the star then made up a good hit unnecessarily and left a mike on a 15 yard open target...it wasnt at the best angle from that shooting position but still no excuse.

Had fun though looking forward to statesville this sunday

Guess it would help if i POSTED said video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNjgJwbhlt4

Edited by g17drumr

Shot the Statesville match this past Sunday and did pretty well on the 3 medium-large stages but not as well on the stand and shoot stage or the classifier. Ended up 8th out of 64 overall and 3rd out of 35 in production.

On Video:

First stage: jerking trigger and too fast this was the first stage of the day mike on first paper target

Second stage: completely froze up on the swingers especially the second one and hesitated backing up still got 2nd production

Third stage: too slow on the first target through the door but this was my first production stage win so pretty good I guess

Fourth stage: Felt like I did well on this stage 3rd in production on this one

took a picture instead of video on the classifier so don't have that one but I really need to work on my weak hand shooting dropped two mikes into the hardcover.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgC-YYnHa3M

Edited by g17drumr

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a practice day this past saturday. Shot about 350 rounds which is good had some good draws im starting to get under a second for the first time. I think my transistions are getting better. Also hit a 200 yard steel uspsa sized target with my shadow 2nd try and that made me happy.(from a bench) Was hitting the 100 yd 2/3 size steel target consistently.

Let's look at this like Lanny Bassham would do it:

First stage: jerking trigger and too fast this was the first stage of the day mike on first paper target Smooth turn, good technique on the steel for makeups. Fast reload and proper grip rebuilding. The "go back and pickup misses" works well to reset momentum of hits.

Second stage: completely froze up on the swingers especially the second one and hesitated backing up still got 2nd production Completely nailed the activator steels. Notice the way you are tracking the swingers? With practice that will enhance your accuracy on them. Don't wait for them to stop if you are tracking them.

Third stage: too slow on the first target through the door but this was my first production stage win so pretty good I guess You look like you are moving fast. Also, way to slaughter that star!

Fourth stage: Felt like I did well on this stage 3rd in production on this one. You called the popper hits like a pro. Notice the time between the first shot and the remaining shots? You knew you had hit the steel and moved quickly out after that initial miss.

Keep up the good work.

Let's look at this like Lanny Bassham would do it:

First stage: jerking trigger and too fast this was the first stage of the day mike on first paper target Smooth turn, good technique on the steel for makeups. Fast reload and proper grip rebuilding. The "go back and pickup misses" works well to reset momentum of hits.

Second stage: completely froze up on the swingers especially the second one and hesitated backing up still got 2nd production Completely nailed the activator steels. Notice the way you are tracking the swingers? With practice that will enhance your accuracy on them. Don't wait for them to stop if you are tracking them.

Third stage: too slow on the first target through the door but this was my first production stage win so pretty good I guess You look like you are moving fast. Also, way to slaughter that star!

Fourth stage: Felt like I did well on this stage 3rd in production on this one. You called the popper hits like a pro. Notice the time between the first shot and the remaining shots? You knew you had hit the steel and moved quickly out after that initial miss.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, I like the sound of your version better haha, and thaks again for your tips last time im trying to work on the movement and low stance

Only got video for 3 of 6 stages. So not on video...small stand and shoot did well, finally got a good classifier score should be around 73%, and then a field course that was my best of the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp8E24D03ok

forgot the reload between 2nd and third array when coming forward. barely caught the noshoot on the second array still got points but it was barely touching the line so -10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVMQrqK6xSA

not a bad run could be a little quicker though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6vwb_TwCk

This was the first stage of the day my hands were very cold and i just couldn't focus on my sight picture for some reason. i did hit the barrel on the first target coming around the corner so that was a good makeup shot but the other two targets i made up hits that were already alphas so no good considering it threw off my round count for my stage plan which left me with standing slidelock reload and at the end i was just upset and didnt even move up quickly to catch the last two targets this stage cost me a lot of match points

But that being said i was overall very satisfied with my performance 1 noshoot and 1 delta for the whole 6 stage match 90.00 % of points after the noshoot penalty. 5th out of 29 in production and 2nd B out of 6. i think 9th out of 63 combined overall.

Shot the Statesville match this past sunday and honestly can't tell what happened i shot one good stage out of five. Stand and shoot left array freestyle right array strong hand only miked on one of the easier strong hand targets. classifier got a mike because i started moving before i finished shooting. then stage with 18 poppers didnt follow my stage plan so i ended up rushing to make up time which had the opposite effect. next stage ran the first half of the stage well then skipped over a target in my plan and had to go back and change it which took away my focus right before the texas star which didnt go well. and then last stage of the day field course with two swingers got 2nd in production on this one which was nice to end on after a bad day...don't know who the guy was shooting for me on the other four stages but i hope he doesnt show up next match at sir walter. also i forgot my gopro so no videos this time

Edited by g17drumr

• 3 weeks later...

Shot Sir Walter match yesterday and did pretty good. got 6th out of 49(there was a GM at the bottom whos scores didn't all go in so probably 7th in reality) in production and there were a lot of good shooters there. 1st B out of 10. almost fell on next to last stage trying not to step out while shooting. I've watched the videos and there are still a lot of areas that need improvement but I feel good about this match especially after how the last one went.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIJ4D9CAbxo

1st stage: not bad a little slower than i hoped mainly cause of the makeups on steel

2nd stage: 1st shot was my only mike of the day happy other than that quick makeup shot at the end

3rd stage: this was probably my best stage

4th stage: classifier i didnt screw it up too bad but honestly i overthink classifiers almost every time. i wasnt really seeing my sights like i should until the steel and ended up with 7A 4C and 1D and felt like i was almost just point shooting at the paper i think thats why a threw 3 shots at two of the targets cause i didnt really know where they were going. should be 63.5%

5th stage: i was in the next bay running the timer for some reshoots on the classifier because this stage was backed up(apparently not that backed up) so my friend came over and said its your turn...instead of making them change the order up because of me i just walked down and saw where all the targets were seemed pretty straight forward and went for it. not bad other than the first array was shaky and hesitant because i had no chance to burn in a stage plan.

6th stage: draw, transistions from first to second, and second to third targets were slow i think i was questioning on the noshoots but the draw was on an open target so i dont know. but thought the rest of the stage was pretty good except for almost diving through the port on the last array haha.

Didnt get video of the first stage of the day it was a large field course. Did ok on it. a little slow. 3/4 of the way thru it I realized I was squinting because I forgot to put on my glasses(keep a paster on left lens so I can keep both eyes open) 19A 13C maybe I should make sure to wear my glasses?

Edited by g17drumr

Congrats on the win! 6th place is pretty darn sweet... unless there are only 6 shooters, but top B / 6thOA is something to be proud of. You look like a different dude from the first vids I saw of you with a shaky shooting platform. You are stable and hauling ass between positions. Nice work. Keep it up. We all just have a crappy match once in a while, and it's clear that you blew it off and went all in on the next match. Something that's an accomplishment all by itself. Keep up the good work.

Shot Rowan USPSA match on Valentine's day. Got 2nd B out of 6. 5th out of 35 in production. Would have gotten 1st B had i not screwed up major on the 1st stage of the day which cost me around 30 match points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYsQDJniciI

1st Stage: On the middle array the two center targets on top on each other in the center i didn't let my sights settle before the second shot on each i saw in happen but didnt think it would throw the shots THAT high. alpha mike missing over the top on the top target and alpha mike noshoot on the bottom hitting directly above the first shot...should have been a little more patient.

2nd Stage: not smooth at all...only dropped one charlie though

3rd Stage: Classifier. should be around 63% I could have done better

4th Stage: not bad

5th Stage: Had a little trouble with the shooting on the move in the middle

6th Stage: dropped 3 deltas on this stage i know one of them was the right target through the RPS wall probably should have started aiming sooner there was no reason for me to be shooting falling out of bounds like that in that situation.

When i look at these videos compared to sir walter last weekend my transitions seem pretty bad for the majority of this match. the smoothness just wasn't there for most of it. Still didn't do bad finished decent. Only penalties were on the first stage and good hits overall i think. hopefully i'll find some time to practice on my transitions and i think that will make a huge difference for me

Edited by g17drumr

• 1 month later...

First annual Piedmont Championship this weekend held on saturday and sunday at two different ranges Day one did pretty decent the whole day except i pulled the first shot(double action) on my last stage down into the hardcover...normally don't have problems with the double action. so only had 1 penalty for the whole day finished down 7 match points from the 1st place B. Day 2 completely lost it...first stage was good, second stage pulled the first shot AGAIN down into hardcover and got another mike, third stage I dropped my mag on the ground trying to reload and just stood there watching it fall wasting time but good hits on the stage, fourth stage(1 mike 2 noshoot) and fifth stage(1 mike) i knew how the other guy was shooting that day and i just pushed too hard trying to catch up. Got the mike looking off a target rushing and the mike 2 noshoots by shooting at three targets maybe 3 yards behind a wall strong hand only without once looking at my sights...so after day 2 ended the match 2nd B down 101 match points from the guy i was only down 7 from the day before. There were 3 GMs in production and i still shot 67% but it could have been so much better. Trying to practice at the range this coming weekend and then Ben Stoeger class the last weekend of the month