Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Entry level 1911 on a budget?

Highwayman

I've recently been digging into my family's history, and have come across records of my great-grandfather writing journal entries about his 1911 in WW1 and my grandfather training the first Chinese Air Force with these pistols. I carry a Glock, compete with a Glock, sleep with a Glock...But I'd like to have a 1911 to get a feel for, tinker with, shoot occasionally, and maybe if I ever get bored take out to a casual IDPA match if I get dared to. This is a casual piece that will be regularly shot but never relied on for use or competition. I'm asking on a competition forum rather than a general gun forum because this demographic knows the ins and outs of the device rather than general gun store mythos.

A ways back I was told about Rock Island, and was very impressed. Today, working at a big box outdoors store, I nearly put down money (which I shouldn't really be spending) on a Rock Island GI model that some one sold to our used department. I simply held it and handled it in the back room, and I had to. I would have cost me $400...until I noticed that the front sight was wiggling in place and my Google research told me the repairs would be a hassle. I spent all day haggling with myself, trying to put the money towards practice ammo for my Glock, but the lure of this historical gun nearly won me over until I factored in the extra costs of the sight repair. So, whenever I get a full-time job, I'm looking to make a 1911 a long-term goal. Ideally used, but new could work if I knew it was a long-term benefit.

My requirements:

As inexpensive as possible without sacrificing basic reliability.

Not a Taurus.

Don't care about decorative grips, I'd just put rubber ones on.

Possibly modern controls such as an ambi safety and extended mag release, or easily adapted with such.

.45 solely because I've heard about all the 9mm issues, I'd love to stay in the same caliber but I'm not convinced that the 9mm 1911s are worth the hassle. If this is wrong, I'm listening.

Government profile, not drawn to the Commander and Officer frames.

Simple enough for a beginner to learn the platform when it comes to assembly and maintenance.

If you have no interest in buying American-made, then any of the 47 flavors of Philippino 1911s are definitely the way to go. By far the best bang for the buck.

American Classic/Metro Arms/Armscor/Rock Island Armory (RIA)/American Tactical (ATI)/Citadel/Legacy/High Standard/Charles Daly/Shooter Arms Manufacturing (SAM)/etc.

Considering those guys are who the .45 leewolelywers and later 1911s were designed to kill, they sure do love the platform. One of the few places outside the US where the 1911 is still the dominant platform instead of the CZ75 style.

A basic 1911A1 GI configuration with the 5" Government profile, basic fixed sights, and basic controls will run you $350-400 new, considerably less used ($175-250).

A loaded model with more modern ergonomics can be as little as $50 more.

$400 for a used GI-style model Rock Island is a lousy deal, and a huge profit margin for the big box store. My unagi tells me that if I had to guess, dealer cost for a brand new one is $369.95.

But if your interest in the platform stems from sentimental family history, do you really want a cheap import clone? There's something special about a family heirloom Colt that four generations of your folks have put lead down range through, in rough enough condition that shooting it occasionally doesn't matter, and only sells for twice what that GI Rock Island would.

_

Edited by KSwift

While the GI is certainly a lower priced model I'd suggest renting or borrowing one to make sure that it works for you. For many of us with larger hands, a beavertail is a necessity on a 1911. I'd also throw out that if you are looking at a $400 GI and intend to add an ambi or upgrade the GI sights, which may require milling the slide depending on the sights you want, you are probably in the $500-$550 range which puts you pretty close to a used Springfield Loaded which has the ambi, sights, lots of other upgrades, and a lifetime warranty. The last two I bought were $550 and $600.

Just something to consider.

Edited by Dirty Rod

Last time I was at the range someone handed me his new present: a Remington rand WWII issue 1911, and asked if I wanted to run a mag through it.

My thinking was along the lines of "I can't believe you're going to risk that piece of history by shooting it! Don't you know about the weak frames, stronger modern ammo, blah, blah, blah!"

But my mouth said "hell yes I want to shoot it!".

And all was good.

Carry on, fellows.

Edited by jtaylor996

Hello: Don't get a GI version it will not be fun to shoot if you have a large hands. They pinch and bite me. If you are going to shoot it a lot get a 9mm from Springfield, Kimber or STI. It will cost a little more but cheaper to feed. If you reload I would get a 45acp they are just fun to shoot with 200 grain bullets. I will have to look at the Ruger and see what it is like. Some of the Springfields GI's I have shot have rattled when new like a worn out Colt. Thanks, Eric

Looks like the store I work for didn't have any deals. They could trim a Rock Island Tac down to...600 for me if I really pressed them, brand new GI would run 470 or so. May have a training deal with Springfield I'll look into for a Loaded model. Frustrating that they can get me a new Glock for 400 when I don't need one, but a real 'fun' gun is out of the picture.

Edited by Highwayman

I may be the exception, but I have NEVER had any trouble with standard GI type model. Now, I have many 1911's with custom features and use an Edge for competition, but shoot GI models for fun and have been know to carry one also.

I would consider a minimum budget to be $750 - $1000 for a entry level 1911 that might be reliable. The ruger is an option at the $750 level. At the $1000 level you get close to a Springfield. Your budget should include enough for reliable mags - McCormick Power Mag or Wilson 47D. They add a lot to dependability.

On a slightly philosophical note: in my (lengthy) life I have found it to never be wise to buy "entry level" anything. You will eventually outgrow it and wish you had bought something better so you end up selling the entry level thing and buying what you wish you had bought in the first place.

My suggestion is save $$$ until you can buy a good version of whatever it is you are seeking like a a used STI Trojan which is probably in the $900 ballpark.

Edited by bountyhunter

On a slightly philosophical note: in my (lengthy) life I have found it to never be wise to buy "entry level" anything. You will eventually outgrow it and wish you had bought something better so you end up selling the entry level thing and buying what you wish you had bought in the first place.My suggestion is save $$$ until you can buy a good version of whatever it is you are seeking like a a used STI Trojan which is probably in the $900 ballpark.

Not always true.

I was a senior in college, spring of 1991. I had a part time job to make ends meet. The boss needed some extra help over spring break and offered some bonus money. I agreed. With the extra cash in hand, I went to the local mom & pop gun store and bought a Colt 1991a1 which I had been eyeing for about 4 months. Paid $425, NIB out the door. At the time that was huge money for me. It was worth 1/3 the value of the pick-up I owned at the time. I always wanted a Colt 1911 .45 and I figured the end of college earned it. The pistol was as basic as they came: parkerized, simple iron sights, and black plastic grips. "Entry level" in every way.

Jump forward 23 years: I still own that pistol and have taught both my teens basic pistol shooting with it. I hope to pass it to a grandchild some day.

On a slightly philosophical note: in my (lengthy) life I have found it to never be wise to buy "entry level" anything. You will eventually outgrow it and wish you had bought something better so you end up selling the entry level thing and buying what you wish you had bought in the first place.My suggestion is save $$$ until you can buy a good version of whatever it is you are seeking like a a used STI Trojan which is probably in the $900 ballpark.

Not always true.

I was a senior in college, spring of 1991. I had a part time job to make ends meet. The boss needed some extra help over spring break and offered some bonus money. I agreed. With the extra cash in hand, I went to the local mom & pop gun store and bought a Colt 1991a1 which I had been eyeing for about 4 months. Paid $425, NIB out the door. At the time that was huge money for me. It was worth 1/3 the value of the pick-up I owned at the time. I always wanted a Colt 1911 .45 and I figured the end of college earned it. The pistol was as basic as they came: parkerized, simple iron sights, and black plastic grips. "Entry level" in every way.

Jump forward 23 years: I still own that pistol and have taught both my teens basic pistol shooting with it. I hope to pass it to a grandchild some day.

I would rephrase the above to say never buy cheap entry level guns. You are better off buying a quality made entry level gun. A Colt 1911 is generally a better quality than a foreign import. That said a couple of years ago I bought a used Springfield Loaded as an entry level 1911. I got the gun for $500, but intended to spend a couple hundred more on upgrades. New sights, trigger, hammer, sear, etc. and i have a gun I am happy with for less than what a new one would have cost me.

One consideration is where you want to end up. A basic gun is not a bad start, but if you know you will be adding or modifying it in the future, look at guns with as many of the features you want for the price you are willing to pay. The Ruger has fixed sights. They are good sights, but if you know you want to eventually have adjustable sights, there will be added expense later to have them installed. Similarly, do you want an ambidextrous thumb safety? Neither the Ruger of the Range Officer have an ambi safety (as I recall).

I recently examined a Springfield Armory Target Loaded. The fit and lock up was very good, plus it has adjustable sights and an ambi safety. At the shop where I looked at it, it was $839. Adding adjustable sights to the Ruger will end up almost as much as the Target Loaded, if not more.

Adding an ambi safety later will likely be another hundred or so.

Get as many of the features as you can within your budget. Somewhat like buying a car.

In the early days we had no real choices. You started with a Colt and threw most of it away and had it rebuilt. Many more choices now.

If is possible to handle the guns of interest before buying, definitely do so.

Guy

Not always true.

Never said it was always true. But in my experience, it's true WAY more than it's not. Just a suggestion.

I'm now questioning some of my criterion. For example...I now am wondering if an ambi safety is necessary. I'm reading it has reliability issues, and that guys who compete with them have gotten by without them even if they're a lefty. What features separate a 'collectors' 1911 from a 'user'?

I would save your hard earned dollars and buy the Dan Wesson "Heritage". IMO you can not find a higher quality American made 1911 for the price. Can pick them up for around $1074.00.

You won't be sorry.

Another option is PARA. They currently have a $100 rebate, and this comes off the final price you purchase the pistol for, not the MSRP. I have found almost every dealer I have been to that carries the line is quite negotiable on price. When I purchased my Pro Comp Custom 14-45 I was able to negotiate the price down to $1175, then subtract off another $100 on the rebate. (the rebate to 3 months to get back)

Look at the line, there is some nice entry-mid level guns available.

http://www.para-usa.com/2013/index.php