Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

US Optics 1-8 or Swaro?

Bentsight

A friend just recently got the US Optics 1-8 and wrung it out pretty thoroughly. None of us was impressed by the reticle, and the lens showed noticeable distortion at the low end of magnification. Long range targets were easier to see and better defined through my Vortex Razor 1-6 at the high end. Can't recommend the USO in good conscience. You can get $600 scopes that will serve better. If you have the money, get the swaro.

A friend just recently got the US Optics 1-8 and wrung it out pretty thoroughly. None of us was impressed by the reticle, and the lens showed noticeable distortion at the low end of magnification. Long range targets were easier to see and better defined through my Vortex Razor 1-6 at the high end. Can't recommend the USO in good conscience. You can get $600 scopes that will serve better. If you have the money, get the swaro.

So which $600 scope will serve better than the USO 1-8? Which reticle in the USO did you guys use?

The Swaro BRT reticle is the easiest reticle I have ever used. I know where all of my holds are up to 600 yards, and the glass is incredible. I handled a USO and it was pretty heavy. The Z6i doesn't add much weight to my rifles. I love the Swaro so much that I have one for my other backup JP rifle.

So which $600 scope will serve better than the USO 1-8? Which reticle in the USO did you guys use?

We tested the 8c Mil reticle.

Now these are just opinions, but these (to me) would be better at a much lower price.

1. Vortex viper PST 1-4. Pluses- Glass was clearer, giving better definition on 3-500 yard steel plates. No noticeable distortion at lowest magnification.

Minuses- Lower maximum magnification, exposed turrets are easier to bump

$500

2. Leupold Mk4 Precision 1.5-5. Pluses- Noticeably better glass, covered turrets, MUCH lighter than USO.

Minuses- Definitely 5x is less than most want for the longer targets

$650

3. Burris Xtreme Tactical II. Pluses- Good glass, not quite as bright as USO, but no distortion

Minuses- One heavy mother, exposed turrets, no true 1x

$800 if you shop around

Granted, we haven't discussed FFP vs SFP, or a host of other details that define exactly what you are looking for, but to me, paying that much for a scope with poor glass is a waste. Time for disclaimers though- :)

1.-I generally don't EVER buy a scope that I can't look through first unless the company has an excellent return policy.

2.- A sample of one tells you NOTHING, unless it is the actual one you are buying. Any good scope manufacturer can turn out a bad scope, and even a cheap scope turns out good once in a while. If you want to make a general statement about a scope company, you need to look through at least 5 of the same model and get an average. I have looked through a $200 Millet that had GREAT glass, and one of my customers just returned a Swaro hunting scope for the third time due to lens distortion and tracking issues. All scope manufacturers still sell scopes put together at "beer-thirty" on Friday from time to time.

That said, the next USO I look through might be great. But EVERY Swaro AR scope I have looked through has been great.

Edited by openclassterror

I did some price checking the S&B short dot is in the same price range as the other 2 maybe $100 or so differance.

You must be quite the bargain hunter, they look to be about $1,100 more where I have seen them. Has anyone actually looked through one? If they are for sale, someone around here must have sprung for one.

Have you considered the SuperSniper 1-6x, available at SWFA? The FFP reticle is amazing and it is super clear. I bought it after reading a head-to-head shoutout report on snipers hide that included all the ones mentioned above and pegged the SuperSniper as the clear winner--including over the S&B Short Dot. Plus you can save a bunch; it only runs about $1000.

Have you considered the SuperSniper 1-6x, available at SWFA? The FFP reticle is amazing and it is super clear. I bought it after reading a head-to-head shoutout report on snipers hide that included all the ones mentioned above and pegged the SuperSniper as the clear winner--including over the S&B Short Dot. Plus you can save a bunch; it only runs about $1000.

Illumination is lacking on the Super Sniper.

Pat

It's lighter than the S&B, and I haven't found the illumination lacking at all. I think the illuminated FFP reticle is my favorite of all I have tried in this category. It is heavier than the Swaro, but so are most in this category.

That SM2 rericle can be so good if they put a 3 or symbol or something to quick reference off of. Instead you have to count and thats slow. Especially if yiu are holding the rifle and need to count past five.

I like the build quality of USO, but I spent that money on another model because I do not like their reticle options. I do like the look of the red dot even though it is quite a bit higher.

Swaro is nice, but they need to get to 1-8. I used to like the light weight of Z6, but after seeing 1-8x, I could justify the extra 10+ oz.