Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Comeback - Training

Steve Moneypenny

Well I've been out of the game a long time, Too long and it's time for a come back. I've greatly missed shooting and it's really eating at me to shoot some matches.

I have been dryfiring, mostly my old regimine to get back, reading some and putting new thoughts and perspectives on what I am doing and have done.

hope to put a couple practice sessions in per month live fire, once a day minimum hopefully twice a day dryfire. Shooting one match the end of october. and the winter will mostly be spent dryfiring.

So far I've been stretching warming up and dryfiring once a day, some times twice when time permits. Managed to get my elbow pain to come back within a week. so I've had to add the strengthening exeriises back into the regimine.

I"m remodeling two houses, working a full time job, and teaching CCW classes part time and working on guns (mine and some others) for cash and shooting money as well as helping a friend in his HVAC business for $$

The time will be the hard part. Will be starting a Youtube video series of my progress thoughts and opinions soon. I've learned a lot in jsut a couple of weeks. playing with gear. etc.

I am shooting a S&W M&P 9L that I had dan burwell work on just before I stopped competing, I like the gun a lot. But am pretty sure as soon as money is available I'll be stepping to a Stock II which fit me a lot better. and I have always preferred the DA/SA guns.

Dry Fire is progressing well, we NEED a good dry fire app.. that's just a par timer and two buzzers. and resets it's self..

Callouses are starting to come back. everything Static Skill (Stance Grip trigger work, draw, reload transitions, etc) wise is starting to feel pretty solid. I plan to round out week 4. and then start week 5 with some movement, work. getting out of chairs. position entry and exit. Match date Oct 28th. working on a way to video that.

Edited by Steve Moneypenny

So last night i found the droped offset adapter fo rmy holster. thismorning i worked a bit on draws warming up before movement. par time to an easy beatable .70 and about half the time at .60

Worked some lateral movement draw step into box, 6 shots leaving both soft and hard exits. then into another box

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a matt

Your welcome wamcei

I have been crazy busy remodeling on the house, really most days so tired I fall asleep before i get the app open. been dryfiring 10-15 min per day yet. movement has seemed to be the hardest thing to get back to. I definitley over estimated how much of a role fitness played. I hope to get back to the videos in atleast one this month, and then more in december.

• 3 weeks later...

LoL your more than welcome, i'm so sick of that house at this point I never want to see it.. i'd be happy alone living in a cardboard box I do believe.

the shooting on the move thing hasn't progressed as well as I would like. Position exit is good, entry is descent, but on the move sucks. gettting a little better in the medium port flexibility part. but not as smooth as i would like on th emove.. guess I know what to keep on.

Dry Fire is progressing well, we NEED a good dry fire app.. that's just a par timer and two buzzers. and resets it's self..

Callouses are starting to come back. everything Static Skill (Stance Grip trigger work, draw, reload transitions, etc) wise is starting to feel pretty solid. I plan to round out week 4. and then start week 5 with some movement, work. getting out of chairs. position entry and exit. Match date Oct 28th. working on a way to video that.

Hey Steve,

Been a looonng time.

You'll need to get up to Hollidaysburg and shoot one of Dan's matches next year.

I remember when I first got started and we all worked Area 8 together, you, Dan, Kyle, Harry and me.

Hope you are progressing the way you like.

Here is a link to an App Matt Burkett put on his website to help with dryfire.

http://www.predatortactical.com/cart.php?m=knowledgebase_detail&id=5

Pat

Well I've been out of the game a long time, Too long and it's time for a come back. I've greatly missed shooting and it's really eating at me to shoot some matches.

I have been dryfiring, mostly my old regimine to get back, reading some and putting new thoughts and perspectives on what I am doing and have done.

hope to put a couple practice sessions in per month live fire, once a day minimum hopefully twice a day dryfire. Shooting one match the end of october. and the winter will mostly be spent dryfiring.

So far I've been stretching warming up and dryfiring once a day, some times twice when time permits. Managed to get my elbow pain to come back within a week. so I've had to add the strengthening exeriises back into the regimine.

I"m remodeling two houses, working a full time job, and teaching CCW classes part time and working on guns (mine and some others) for cash and shooting money as well as helping a friend in his HVAC business for $$

The time will be the hard part. Will be starting a Youtube video series of my progress thoughts and opinions soon. I've learned a lot in jsut a couple of weeks. playing with gear. etc.

I am shooting a S&W M&P 9L that I had dan burwell work on just before I stopped competing, I like the gun a lot. But am pretty sure as soon as money is available I'll be stepping to a Stock II which fit me a lot better. and I have always preferred the DA/SA guns.

Steve,

When you want to sell the 9L, I'm sure Dan would be interested.

Pat

Hey Steve,

Been a looonng time.

You'll need to get up to Hollidaysburg and shoot one of Dan's matches next year.

I remember when I first got started and we all worked Area 8 together, you, Dan, Kyle, Harry and me.

Pat

That link doesn't show an app for me :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Steve,

Been a looonng time.

Pat

It should take you to the Predator Tactical website, where there are 4 drills for dry fire. You'll have to use your computer, not a smartphone. They aren't downloadable.

Dot Transition Drill

Draw at the Beep (with par time)

Variable Speed Swinger

Target Tracking Drill

You can also hook your computer up to the a TV and make the targets bigger so you can increase the distance.

Hey Steve,

Been a looonng time.

Pat

It should take you to the Predator Tactical website, where there are 4 drills for dry fire. You'll have to use your computer, not a smartphone. They aren't downloadable.

Dot Transition Drill

Draw at the Beep (with par time)

Variable Speed Swinger

Target Tracking Drill

You can also hook your computer up to the a TV and make the targets bigger so you can increase the distance.

Ahh I see now sorry blond moment there :P

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bobert!

So, I decided my eyes suck, and found out i could get them fixed. So the PRK surgery happened DEC 3rd at the laser eye center in Pittbsurg.

The surgery and everything went off without a hitch... they gave me a low dose of Valium which i didn't even feel the doctor said he required it it allows the eye muscles to relax better. walked out.. and all was great. I never had any real burning or itching. some annoying flashbacks a little swollen eyes. just kept my drops in any time i felt like they were remotely dry. I am still having trouble focusing.. have done a little light dry fire. I still can't see the sights my biggest concern was eye dominance, but that seems ok. Things are still fuzzy though at times. with PRK they say that's normal for the first month to 6 weeks.

Vision was 20-50 before squinting as best i could. but not it's 20/40 with out squinting at all. The doctor says looking at my eyes it looks like a steam room and will clear up as it heals. next appointment is friday. So far so good!

I listened to Brian's book about 4 times over the course of sttting around with my eyes closed... quite handy that it's now an audio book!

• 4 weeks later...

Well the vision still fluctuates, but i have been dryfiring again for a few days, reloads i have a hard time focusing on the dark hole. didn't seem to be a problem before. movement is a good bit smoother, i've worked on that some and done a bit of stretching while i was waiting on my eyes to heal and working on the house.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...