Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best carbon copy solution for score verification

furyalecto

Like I said earlier, I have been the stats guy at our match for over 15 years. The error rate for electronics is near zero and at most matches IS zero. The error rate for the old paper score sheets, not counting my own added errors during data entry, were legion. No steel hits recorded, no time, too many hits, not enough hits, lost sheets. Barely a match would go by that I didn't have at least a few NPMs added where we all KNEW the steel was down, but it wasn't marked.

I printed up a sufficient supply of single line score sheets to hand out when we first went to Palms. I handed them out and told everyone that they should record their scores JUST IN CASE. Well under 10% usage!.

Now all that said, at a L-II or larger match where we have a CRO and several ROs dedicated to a stage, it is not a big problem to record the scores to a sheet and hand that back to the 'squad Mom' for dispersal to the squad. I'd still rather have a stage printer and just hand them a report as we are still introducing the chance of error when we hand transcribe the scores and that will if the shooter actually uses the paper cause us to have issues. His paper scores which are hand copied from the output of the Electronics and removed at least one step from the actual scoring are not in agreement with the electronic scoring. You want to say that the paper is correct? The ONLY way I would allow paper to be used as the actual record is if the electronic scores were unavailable.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You said paper backup were required by rule, you are wrong. Have a nice day!

They ARE required by rule 9.11.2, unless you get a separate exemption from the uspsa president for each match you want to run without paper.

It's written in very simple, plain english that ANYONE should be able to understand.

I'M RIGHT ON THAT!!

YOU HAVE A NICE DAY!

Edited by wgnoyes

Now all that said, at a L-II or larger match where we have a CRO and several ROs dedicated to a stage, it is not a big problem to record the scores to a sheet and hand that back to the 'squad Mom' for dispersal to the squad. I'd still rather have a stage printer

Yeah, I'd rather have a stage printer, too. At a reasonable price. That runs all day. In all weather. Maybe someday.

and just hand them a report as we are still introducing the chance of error when we hand transcribe the scores and that will if the shooter actually uses the paper cause us to have issues. His paper scores which are hand copied from the output of the Electronics and removed at least one step from the actual scoring are not in agreement with the electronic scoring. You want to say that the paper is correct? The ONLY way I would allow paper to be used as the actual record is if the electronic scores were unavailable.

That's why you have and need the paper, for when (however unlikely it may be) the electronics go to hell and take the match with them.

And we (South River Gun Club, Cherokee, Riverbend) still get 100% participation in filling in of backup scoresheets at all our matches, 6 stages, 40-100 competitors each.

Edited by wgnoyes

Bill,

I commend your shooters for their diligence. We have tried it, may do so again, but in truth, I doubt I'll get compliance.

That said, I understand the why. What I'd really like is to have the Nooks write to the MicroSD chip as when they save the score. If that were to happen the back-up would exist. Could that too be destroyed? Sure, but if we lose a Nook AND the chip we have a bigger problem. OK someone could dunk the nook with the chip into a bucket of water, not sure how the chip would fare, but short of that I'd say we would be secure in not having paper.

Jim,

That's viable as far as NOOKs go, assuming people do have SD cards installed (it's not a requirement one be present, unless you need to use Dropbox). But it's also a somewhat centric solution, in that other devices, like Nexus 7 tablets, don't have an SD card slot.

Jim,

That's viable as far as NOOKs go, assuming people do have SD cards installed (it's not a requirement one be present, unless you need to use Dropbox). But it's also a somewhat centric solution, in that other devices, like Nexus 7 tablets, don't have an SD card slot.

The nexus7 I believe makes up for that by having a "virtual" sd card on board. I think I've plugged mine in before to a computer and had 2 external drives appear; one for the operating system and one for the virtual card.

In all the matches I have run and attended, everyone prefers electronic scoring and no one has ever asked for a paper copy.

If you keep people in caves, the light can be irritating, but sunlight is better.

Paper helped my squad at the Pro-Am match this past weekend. We had an issues where father and son have the same name and we ended up scoring the son under his father. Yes I know you can reassign scores in Practiscore but having paper record let us keep scoring the son on his paper sheet and let JC deal with it later. For a level 1 match I can see electronic only but for level 2 or higher paper backup is a wise choice.