Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Drills

EricW

Don't ask me why I'm spending so much time on rifle when I can barely get my handgun on target in under 30 seconds, but here I go anyway.

What are some live fire and dry fire drills that I should be working on with rifle? Here's the few things I do now:

+ Index from low ready (port arms?) - I was humbled by watching Jerry Miculek take out a popper at 100 yards in under 1.5 secs. (Daaayyymmm! I can't do that at 40.)

+ Transitions at close range. Dry fire using paper plates at 30 yards to so. Live fire on mini-poppers at 35-45 yards, spaced maybe 20 yards apart.

+ 200 yard plate rack. I dream of the day I can clean that sucker offhand.

+ Dozer teeth offhand at 100.

+ Going prone on the 200 yard plates.

I know I need to start practicing movement drills and reloading. I'm going to try and buy some AR500 plates and get something set up at 300.

What's the current dogma on reloading? I like having two mags clipped together and think that's about as fast as anything.

What else is missing? (Besides the talent, that is.)

Don't forget shooting weak side shoulder, strong hand and weak side shoulder weak hand. Also add in other awkward positions like rolled over 90 degrees prone (both ways...see other thread on this).

I played with this a bit in dry fire the other evening and other than my dog and wife being convinced I was insane (flopping around on the floor cursing trying to figure out what positions work tends to raise questions of sanity).

Eric,

For some close speed work, I do modified Vice-Prez's at 25 yards. I use 4 target instead of three. Two on each reload two on each. You can throw in standing to kneeling and standing to prone for some variety during the reloads. This is also a pretty good drill to test drive rifle comps. A good comp. should let you hammer the targets without having to make any adjustments.

Erik

Yeah, I try to forget about it. I am dreadful at it. I have been working on weak side in dry fire with the rifle now for awhile and am starting to become more comfortable that way but I haven't done any live fire with it lately.

Similar to the Presidente’ drill at 25 yards and good for gear switching is the Mozambique drill modified as a Prez. Done at 10-15 yards, it’s a good drill. 2 in the body, 1 in the upper A/B on 3 targets, reload and repeat. At 12 yards, anything under 10 seconds with all A’s is good. Almost everyone drops points when they try to go fast on this one.

If your shot to shot flat footed reload with an AR is at, or under 2 seconds (with 2 A,s at 10-15 yards), you are good to go no matter what mag change method you use.

I hate to shoot weak side because I stink at it. I know that my in-ability to consistently practice what I don’t like until it becomes a strength is most of what keeps me from getting a whole lot better.

--

Regards

Start with fundamentals-updrills, reloads, moving. Positions, positions, positions! Build you a Cooley Barricade and get after it. This will force you into all the positions for engagements at all ranges. I also use the "El Prez" modified for training. I start at 10 yards engaging each Tgt with 2 rounds and the standard is 2 seconds, all A's. Then I move to 2 rounds, mag change, 2 rounds. Next is 2 body 1 head. Start moving back and build on this drill as you see fit, challenging yourself. Then work on positions, did I say positions.

Try this on for size. It's not exact in proportions and port size and positions because my memory drew this up (our club has a few).

IIRC, It's a little over 5 foot tall and about 4 foot wide. There is a braced two by four box on the backside that provides a footprint for staking and keeping it upright. There is nothing on the shooter side to act as support, or a shooting box which allows for easy prone usage.

BTW, there might only be a single port in the middle, I just can't remember.

cooley-barricade-2d.gif

--

Regards,

Bennie takes the students and makes them get in a human pyramid and then shoots over the top of them, yelling at them the whole time.

Do they have to be naked and have flour sacks on their heads? Lest we embarass anyone or anything...

:ph34r:

I also use the "El Prez" modified for training.  I start at 10 yards engaging each Tgt with 2 rounds and the standard is 2 seconds, all A's.

Holy *$%!

That's smokin'.

What are we talking about?

Going to be a bit before I can whip that out with a rifle. (Bennie Cooley better be giving classes around here over spring break or I'm hosed.)

Yes, the students are naked except for a panty on their head and Bennie zaps them with electricity from his truck battery if they complain or if they have any misses.

The better shooters get to be on top of the pyramid while those that screw up are at the bottom. SGDM is one of the better shotters so he likes the Cooley barricade.

Speaking of Bennie, I would also practice that over the shoulder move that I've seen him do. It shortens up the rifle, since the stock is laying on top of your shoulder, and works great in confined spaces in conjuction with a JP tac iron or dot on the handguard.

George, that is it. You can cut a few extra slots in 'em too, angled and vertical. You can get 2 barricades out of one sheet of plywood and use your imagination like Kelly.

Eric, yes sir, that is the standard and you will do it while Bennie and Kyle are beating you about the head.

For those of you that have been to Kyle's match, we use 'em there in some type of evil stage. I used 'em on my stage one year...Iron Man El Prez, and Bennie told me that I was a sick, evil bastard after he shot the stage. Giddy Up!

OK, I'll submit and wear the flour sack. But I'm not going prone nekked. Ouch.

I'm glad the over the shoulder thing is Cooley approved, because it's the only way I'm going to be able to navigate my KY rifle-inspired AR through a dark house.

:ph34r:

Along Rifle drills and targets, I hope this is close enough on topic...

Does anyone have a good way to practice longer shots at closer distances?

Any reasonable way to simulate a 200-300 yard plate at 50 yards? I'm trying to think of a way to practice what the bullet drop would look like.

Wondering if having something like an IPSC target, paste on a 2" bullseye, with a same size light dotted circle area (so you don't see it with the sights) 15" (my bullet drop at 300yds) higher, and scoring hits in the top area?

Is target size really linear like this?

9" plate at 300yd, = 6" at 200yds, 3" at 100yds, 1.5" at 50yds

Part of hitting really far targets is estimating the holdover correctly, and that's what I'm trying to simulate.

Thanks....

Eric... sorry if this dirfts your thread, but I think it a good match... Dave

Hi Dave,

Your typical MGM flash target is 10 inches in diameter so a 2.5" circle at 75 yards, or a 1.66" circle at 50 yards is workable to simulate a typical flash target at 300yards.

I sometimes use shoot-n-see targets so I can quickly see the hit/miss through the scope because steel at smaller sizes is not always easy to implement for quick practice sessions.

A flasher at 300 usually requires putting the 50/200 yard aim point near, or over the top edge of the plate. so that would be the practice point, but YMMV. I use the JP CTR ACOG with a calibrated reticle on my AR and with the 300 yard crosshair on the center of a 10" flasher at 300 yards, the 200 yard stadia is just over the top of the plate (for my setup anyway).

You can practice this hold at 200 yards with a flasher because of the "neck" it has. As long as your windage is good a hold just over the top of an MGM flasher will always produce a 200 yard hit if you have a 200 yard elevation zero.

--

Regards,

That lower port in the Cooley barricade is shorter, a narrow slot that forces you to lay your gun sideways. I'm still waiting for a match that has such a port so I can put his technique to work and pick up some match points on the competition.

The bottom port is obviously for prone shooting and the top port is for kneeling.

Eric,

Sorry for the slow reply, I'm out of town on "business." I've never been much on establishing par times for my drills. I run the drill, establish my best hit factor and work to improve it, either through faster technique or better accuracy, depending on which side of the equation is lacking.

If I had to set a par time for establishing a baseline for this particular drill, I would think if you're under 10 seconds, your rolling along pretty good.

Erik