Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trigger pull weight and primer reliability sp-01 shadow

g17drumr

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773&page=1

As a rule of thumb (with an extended FP) an 13# hammer spring should set off most anything, an 11.5# hammer spring should set off CCI, WIN, REM and FED, where the 8.5# hammer sprung is pretty much FED only; DA trigger pulls capable are roungly: 8-6, 7-5, and 6-4 respectively.

I have the 75 version of the Shadow Custom with a CGWs 11.5lb spring.

My DA pull is just under or at 6lbs and my SA pull is just under/at 3lbs.

I shoot mostly WWB, Federal crap box, Atlanta Arms and Ammo remanufactured (don't know the primer) and Freedom Munitions reman'd (again, don't know the primier).

Haven't had any problems so far.

Shoot an SP01 with extended firing pin (CZ Custom), reduced power FP spring (CGWs I believe), and 8.5 lb main spring (CGWs). Tested with CGWs 11 lb. recoil spring.

Winchester, Federal, CCI work flawlessly. Near purchased Remington small pistol primers. Wolfe and Tula problems with 8.5, 11.5 lb., and 13 lb. main springs failed to light reliably enough to shoot in matches. Don't know what the problem is/was but what few Tula I have left will only be shot in practice and not buying Wolfe or Tula SP again.

Currently, my DA pull is low 4s--think it is 4 lb., 2-4 oz. SA is 2 lb. 2 oz. Last week shot with someone shooting a SP01 frame -- think it was a Shadow. DA 5 lb. plus a little--2-4 oz. Pistol had to be compliant with IPSC Production rules, which I believe requires a minimum DA pull of 5 lb. SA was low 1 lb. Think he was using an 8.5 lb. main spring, but not 100% certain. Think it would be hard to get low 1 lb. in SA with 11 lb. main spring (that is my opinion; not stating as fact).

5# or just under DA, 2# SA, 8.5# main spring, Fed primers. SP01 Accu-Shadow with competition trigger job from CZC.

(CZC did all the work, I just swapped the spring, it ships with 13# less 2 coils mainspring)

SP-01 Shadow with 8.5lbs Hammer spring with CGW extended firing pin, reduced power spring and trigger return spring. DA 4lbs SA 1lbs 12 oz. David at CGW did all the polishing and Frog Lube lowered the DA another 8oz and the SA 4.8oz. Federals only

Thanks for all the comments thats what i wanted to know

I mainly wanted to see if i could go from 13# to 11.5 when using win and cci which is what i buy. my single action is fine at like 2.25 or so but the double action is heavier than i would like. i dont want to be restricted to fed only with the 8.5#. ive heard some people say the 11.5 will light strike with cci but i think i will try it since multiple people are saying that its fine... i do have the cgw ext firing pin and reduced fp spring

Edited by g17drumr