Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 reassembly trouble

Nimitz

I'm replacing the grip on my STI Steelmaster which obviously required an almost complete takedown of the lower assembly. I got it apart and mostly reassembled but can't seem to get the sear spring installed correctly. According to the video I watched from STI, after installing the sear and disconnector and the hammer assembly I then put the sear spring in and slide the main spring housing into place. At this point I should be able to half cock the hammer but it just flops around and does not engage the sear/disconnector assembly.

I thought at first I may have installed the disconnector the wrong way but assuming you get the holes lined up on the sear & disconnector there looks like only one way it can be installed ... that leaves the sear spring. I thought I installed it per the video but obviously something isn't right ...

Can someone talk me through installing the sear spring correctly and/or have any close-ups of what it should look like?

UPDATE: just realized the main spring housing actually has a spring in it (who'd a thought ... :)) which I needed to take out from my old grip & put in the new one. After doing that unfortunately the hammer still doesn't half cock, it just goes back to the fully cocked position so I'm not exactly there ...

At the moment the left leave of my sear spring is sitting in between the disconnector and sear and the middle leave is over the disconnector in the slot on the bottom of the seat. Is that the correct placement?

Hello: That is wrong. The spring leaf has to sight on the sear lip like the pic above. Don't shoot it until you have corrected it. Also do a safety check to make sure you don't have hammer follow. When you do test fire it only load one round in the mag to make sure it does not go full auto. Do this 3 or 4 times then try 2 rounds etc. Be safe. Thanks, Eric

Looking at your picture, the left most finger of the spring needs to sit on TOP. Not be tucked under the sear itself.

i put the hook of the bottom of the spring into the handle first, then just let the spring lay down on top of the sear lip and disconnecter like the picture i posted.

Eric is absolutely right. Only 1 round the first time, just to make sure it doesnt go auto on you, then repeat a couple of times making sure the hammer doesn't follow after that first round.

You are close though now.