Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dexterity exercises for weak hand loading?

• 1 month later...

I tried some of the manipulation exercises, not sure if they helped or not because I didn't stick to it long. Seemed like the best thing was to step away for a couple days then start over going fairly slow and checking all my fundamentals as I sped back up. I think I was just pushing too hard to achieve perfect 5 second loads and getting too frustrated every time I fumbled it. I've gotten away from standing flat footed in my living room blasting through reloads at top speed till my fingers bleed. I decided if I could consistently do 6 second loads on demand that I really should be focusing on more relevant practice, like walking/jogging while loading and figuring out how many shells I can load in a given footage between targets. If I can hammer out 4.5 second flat footed loads someday, that's cool. Realistically getting 7 second loads on a sprint seems higher priority to me these days.

I tried some of the manipulation exercises, not sure if they helped or not because I didn't stick to it long. Seemed like the best thing was to step away for a couple days then start over going fairly slow and checking all my fundamentals as I sped back up. I think I was just pushing too hard to achieve perfect 5 second loads and getting too frustrated every time I fumbled it. I've gotten away from standing flat footed in my living room blasting through reloads at top speed till my fingers bleed. I decided if I could consistently do 6 second loads on demand that I really should be focusing on more relevant practice, like walking/jogging while loading and figuring out how many shells I can load in a given footage between targets. If I can hammer out 4.5 second flat footed loads someday, that's cool. Realistically getting 7 second loads on a sprint seems higher priority to me these days.

I can't agree with this enough. 95% of shotgun reload are done on the move as long as you plan your stage correctly. That being said, if you wanna work something flatfooted I would work on getting one into an empty chamber. I've seen that happen many times on the last target of an array or stage. You gotta stay right where you are and get the gun hoy again.