Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reported problems with SX2 practical

John Thompson

My SX2 choked on light loads until I locked bolt to rear for 4 weeks to get the spring to lighten up. W/ regular loads, it functions very well though strangely, it has jammed 2x on Winchester regular slugs while digesting all the S&B slugs and buck I can feed it.

Mine does fine as long as I clean it every 50 rounds.  I was recently  shooting hand loaded slugs and the gun would not cycle so went up a full grain in powder charge and it still wouldn't cycle.  This told me  there was something else going on.  I took it down and gave it a good cleaning and it shot  original  load no problem.  This gun only has 200 rounds on it and had 50 since its last cleaning when I had the problem.  I'm using 18.5 gr. clays pushing a 7/8 oz. slug @ 1080.  I think I'll keep the gas piston and area where it runs lubed with a light oil ( mila tech ) and continue to clean it after each use no matter how many rounds went through it. After its fully broken in I expect it will go longer between cleanings.  One other thing to keep in mind if you are rolling your own is use a good quality wad.  Cheap wads will foul the gas system and coat the barrel with residue.

If you search for Super X2 you will see my previous post.  Lock the bolt back for about 2 weeks and apply a liberal (like 9th Circuit Court of Appeals liberal) amount of GREASE to the bolt, rails, etc., and shoot the crap out of it for a while.  I've found that Slide Glide is the best grease for the bolt.  The break-in period really sucks, but once they run they are pretty slick.

"apply a liberal (like 9th Circuit Court of Appeals liberal)"

Nice one impact10! As an attorney forced to deal w/ the "interesting" decisions out of the 9th, I really appreciated that comment!

Regards, D.

Some people's minds are so open that their brain falls out  

I didnt need a break in period either.  It ran fine with all the ammo I could stuff in it including weenie skeet loads.

I did however have one double feed a while back.  I have tried to figure out why, but just cant.  But the good news is that it has only done it once and not in the past 300-400 rounds.

There is a match this weekend, so if its going to happen...

Just ran about 50 rds of assorted slugs, buckshot, and light to medium birdshot through my SX2.  Not one problem.  I bought it used from a friend who ran about 100 rds through it.  Hasn't been cleaned either.  So far its a keeper.  My son even made a comment how it seems more dependable than the 11-87.

I've heard about the "break in" period.  How many rounds is that??