Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super Auto in stock Colt

I have been shooting my stock Colt .38 Super for a while and I like it a lot. It runs fine with minor PF reloads. Just for fun I would like to load up some supers to a higher level. I don't want to race the gun but how hot can I load without a ramped barrel?

I apologize if this belongs in reloading.

What are you loading to now (minor; +P; +P+...)?

Look in a reloading book for the powder you are using and work your way up and keep an eye out for signs of excess pressure.

If you are not needing to load to major PF, then no need to wear out your gun faster.

Years ago, when mpf was 175, I believe, we had a shooter shooting mpf loads out of a stock Colt with unramped barrel and really tackey brass. He had no problems! He was using Blue Dot powder back then. Would I want to do it thru my rb ss, probably not unless that was all I had and it was an emergency

FWIW

Richard.

Way back, I used SR4756 for absolute full power loads. I think that powder is being discontinued this year, so maybe you don't want to go there. But there are others that you be able to use for similar to factory ammo. I'd look at an older reloading manual for common powders like Unique, Blue Dot, and such. that should give you a feel for where to begin safely.

Careful selection of gunpowder and brass can allow you to achieve high velocity in some unramped barrels. Not all brass is created equal. See here: http://38super.net/Pages/Brass.html For brass, I suggest Starline 38 Super +P or Starline 38 Super Comp. Those have been, in my experience, more durable than Winchester and Remington. Note that wall thickness does not necessarily predict its strength.

Gunpowder suggestions would include Vit N105 and 3N38. Other possibilities include Longshot, Silhouette and Accurate #7, but you would have to work them up carefully. Check out the article at the link below for how gunpowder selection can make a significant difference in velocity and limit signs of pressure in the brass.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/cartridge-review-9x23-winchester/

Whatever you select, work up slowly and watch for pressure signs.