Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$310/1K armscor 5.56 - i'm giving up reloading rifle ammuniti

jaredr

looks like centerfire rifle ammo prices are getting back to reality after the price-inflated craziness of the last few years. Just finished prepping and reloading 5k rounds of 5.56 and i get an email flyer advertising armscor for $310/1000 rounds (admittedly plus shipping). I can reload 5.56 on pick-up brass for less than that but given the time and effort involved in brass prep, i think i'm going to take the lazy way out and just shoot some factory ammo for a while. my grandmother would shake her head in disappointment (she grew up in a cold-water flat and would squeeze a penny until it begged for mercy. then she would squeeze it more).

any feedback on armscor 5.56 ammunition for general range practice? not looking for super match ammo but something that will hold at least ~3 moa would be good.

My rifle likes this stuff better than the others I've tried. If I were you, I'd go to Gunbot and get everything around 30 cents a round and by some. Go to the range and see what shoots the best group. My rifle liked this the best.

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/PMC-223-55-Grain-FMJ-Boat-Tail-Case-p/223a.htm

Do try the Freedom Munitions too. I shot lots of their pistol stuff before I started reloading. They make good stuff.

Edited by Smitty79

I wish someone would make a steel cased 62+gr Brass jacketed for under $250-270/1k. Maybe it already exists, if it does please share.

It used to exist. A few years back Wolf was selling one of their steel cased type loadings with 62gr copper jacketed bullets. It even shot pretty good, but then they went to steel jackets for that weight just like the 55gr.

• 2 weeks later...

i'll offer a caveat - I should have distinguished between battle-rattle and match or precision ammo. not worth reloading for carbine matches and short distance plinking (e.g. 3-gun type competition where i just need a hit on cardboard at 40 yards). On the other hand, if i'm using quality components and take the time to sort brass by headstamp, i can make ammunition that's as good as federal gold medal match for about 1/3 the price. Not bragging or boasting - i'm not turning necks or doing anything crazy, just using (unfortunately) more expensive components (e.g. sierra SMK vs. 55gr fmj) and using stick powder.

No I saw the same price, the-armory has wolf gold under $305 for a thousand plus shipping. That is brass cased ammo. So it seems that with time and effort coupled with the lack of powder reloading 223 is becoming less cost effective than a year ago when it was $.50 a round.

Just finished prepping and reloading 5k rounds of 5.56 and i get an email flyer advertising armscor for $310/1000 rounds (admittedly plus shipping).

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one that reads "Price: $326.98" when I click the link above? Did they raise the price for every IP or just mine?

I just clicked the link and they list it at $298.99. I added one to cart out of curiosity and it's $38 to ship 1 case.

• 2 weeks later...

No I saw the same price, the-armory has wolf gold under $305 for a thousand plus shipping. That is brass cased ammo. So it seems that with time and effort coupled with the lack of powder reloading 223 is becoming less cost effective than a year ago when it was $.50 a round.

While it may not be cost effective at this time, it's always a good time to buy componnents. Can i buy ready to go for a good price, yes. However i don't get that satisfication ordering on line as i do when pulling the handle.

Nothing wrong with taking a break from reloading, although I don't think I'd ever sell off my reloading gear (or components).

I've been digging into my factory .223 stash lately vs reloading, but for me that's more an indication of needing to set aside some time for a marathon loading session than anything else.

People value their time differently, and it may go up and down due to normal life..for me, you couldn't pay me to load 9mm and/or .223 on a single stage or even a turret press, but still reloading for 1/2 the cost of factory rounds and knowing I'll have ammo available for some time to come - yeah, I'm going to keep reloading both.

I might consider stocking up on some factory to stash once/if we see 25cents/rd shipped down the road.

I don't directly remember shooting Armscor, but would give it a shot.

PMC has always been on the lower cost side of the equation, and I've heard people giving Wolf Gold a thumbs up - none of them are likely to be 'match'/benchrest accurate, but all should be good enough for typical 3 gun matches inside of 300 yards, IMO.

+1 for the break from reloading of plinking 223 for now!

Locally (Dick's Sporting) sale of 120 rnds green tip ,m855?, for $39.99. and M193 150 rnds for $50 which is good for brick and mortar. Sorry OP no feedback on the Armscor.

Will the price of once fired brass drop now?

+1 for the break from reloading of plinking 223 for now!

Locally (Dick's Sporting) sale of 120 rnds green tip ,m855?, for $39.99. and M193 150 rnds for $50 which is good for brick and mortar. Sorry OP no feedback on the Armscor.

Will the price of once fired brass drop now?

Friends don't let friends buy anything from Dicks.

The price of .223/5.56 brass has dropped from panic prices, at least - you can now get once fired LC brass in the ~6c each range fairly easily, shipped.