Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is porting a 3 gun shotgun worth it?

hysupra

I have a 930 that I'm shooting open with right now and would like to reduce my recoil if possible. Is porting the barrel worth the money or is it going to slow my action down? If it does slow it down would lightening the bolt help that issue? Thanks guys.

Rob

Porting the barrel should not slow the action a measurable amount. You may have to have the gas ports enlarged slightly as the pressure will drop sooner after the wad passes the ports. Simple ports without a compensator sleeve ( like the old JP type) will not have a huge effect on felt recoil. May be noticeable, but the Mossberg is heavy and gas operated already, so it will seem like it does less than the same port job on a Benelli. Make sure the port hole pattern is biased slightly above the barrel centerline, as the main benefit of ports is to reduce muzzle rise for controllability. A symmetrical port pattern usually results in half of the people who shoot it saying they can't tell the difference. A 60/40 pattern with more ports above centerline usually has about 80% of shooters reporting a seat-of-the-pants difference in felt recoil. Having a brake built around the porting makes a VERY noticeable difference in felt recoil. It reduces recoil enough to sometimes make inertia guns (like the Benelli) not cycle with light loads at all. Make sure the work is done by a 'smith who is experienced in shotgun work, not just the local gun-plumber.

Here's the test we did on our Mid Barrel brake for the MKA 1919

Shows a good reduction in recoil and muzzle rise, you can also see it in many of our 3-Gun videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0B_LvQwE40&list=PLi6rOytRmNmIYZFo2qwIdKFGz2NYnXhm2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e__6eUz4jYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd82u00kgvs

Yeah, like that :) . Much more quantifiable result than simple ports (drilled holes). Well done, appreciate the way opinion is removed from the equation. Seems like a lot of times the guys who report the most benefit from shotgun ports are the ones who thought it would work most before doing it. The tentative guys who aren't sure if it's worth the money are least likely to be happy with the work. With that vid, the bias of the operator is not a factor. Good input!

Thanks , kinda like the old "butt dyno" HP gains from our other racing days.

We wanted a test that took opinion out of the equation, we thought that was a good example of how they worked.

We tried 6 different versions before the final compairision, some did excellent on recoil, not so good on muzzle rise, and vice versa.