Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What distance to test reload grouping

pointblanktx

25yds usually try to do accuracy and chrono together so I'm not working on a load that won't work PF

then out to 50 to make sure nothing squirrelly is going on

25 gets hand held then shot from a rest, 50 is from a rest

What distance do you test group size when working up a load?

Depends on what type of gun I'm shooting, and what I'm reloading for ...

For USPSA/IDPA, I test them at 15 - 20 yards if they have iron sights;

For hunting, I test them at 50 yards, and see what they'll do at 75 yards.

For plinking/fun, I test them at 10-15 yards.

My J-frame and pocket pistol get tested at 10 yards.

And, if it's important (depends on what I'm doing with the loads)

I'll test accuracy out to 40+ yards (especially with my OPEN or hunting guns).

:cheers:

I shoot them over the chrono just to get numbers. If they pass how I'd like then I move to accuracy and function tests. I shoot 10-20 rounds at 10 yards, freestyle. If all is well then I shoot the same amount again freestyle at 20 yards. If they all fall in the A zone and have a pattern that looks appropriate then that's good enough for me.

I also test the first batches that make speed and 'feel' right, freehand shooting fast and slow at 10 yards. If they look good I load up a bigger quantity to test them from close in out to 25 yrds.

Always testing initially at the same distance works for me to compare new loads with trusted reloads. You don't have to shoot many to find out if they are in the ballpark. YMMV.

• 5 months later...

What yardage do you typically zero your pistol for USPSA?

Shooting Open with a C-More, I zero my gun at 17 yards. This gives me 1" high at 27 yards, 2" high at 40 yards and 2-1/2" high at 50 yards.

+1

I shoot them over the chrono just to get numbers. If they pass how I'd like then I move to accuracy and function tests. I shoot 10-20 rounds at 10 yards, freestyle. If all is well then I shoot the same amount again freestyle at 20 yards. If they all fall in the A zone and have a pattern that looks appropriate then that's good enough for me.

This is almost exactly what I do. I shoot the second group at 25, at the upper A. I'm trying to punch out the perforated "A" in both cases; 10 shot groups.

Archived