Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 primer system jamming

Got the 650 up and running, after 200 rds I had the press lock up. The primer system jammed.

First time I cleared it but wasn't sure what I did or caused the stoppage. Today it did it three times, first time I pulled it apart and found a primer stuck between the tube and the disc. Second time instead of tearing it apart I tapped the primer tube base with a plastic hammer ad it started feeding again until it stuck a third time, which the tapping with the hammer fixed.

What is causing the primer to only drop half way locking up the disc to the tube?

Thanks

Don

This may sound like a sucky recommendation since it's new and all but I would sit down in front of it and call Dillon. Explain exactly what it is doing. They will most likely send you new parts out by the time you hang up. That's easier than playing 20 questions for a week and getting more frustrated each day.

If the parts are all the right size and IF everything is put together right then it could be an out of spec part or even a small burr on the disc. Who knows? Probably Dillon.

Just make sure the magazine tube is all the way seated in the outer tube.

I've run through about 400-500 rds through the press. I just pulled off the primer assembly a looked for seat was ok, no burrs. I ran the disc though all the holes in relationship to the primer tube, all looked visually concentric. I think I will pull out another box of primers from a different sleeve add try another 100, just funny how when you tap the primer assembly the primer drops.

Guess I'll call Dillon

Just got off the phone with Dillon, suggested a light chamfer on the tip of the primer tube and to add some weight to the rod that contacts the low primer sensor. Looks like I have something to do tonight.

Dillon has seen some Winchester and CCI primers that are just slightly out of round causing feeding problems

Edited by The Donald

Dillon, suggested to add some weight to the rod that contacts the low primer sensor.

:surprise: You don't have a 45 ACP case on the end of your primer follower?!? You just aren't cool if you don't have that mod! It does help a lot though. As much as I like Dillon gear I find it amazing that they won't weight the follower a little bit because they know it is too light in some cases. Yet they will tell you to put some weight on it. :eatdrink:

Dillon, suggested to add some weight to the rod that contacts the low primer sensor.

As much as I like Dillon gear I find it amazing that they won't weight the follower a little bit because they know it is too light in some cases. Yet they will tell you to put some weight on it.

I think they don't supply it with extra weight to avoid making the primer follower into a heavier projectile in the event of a primer tube detonation. Telling you to add weight versus supplying it with the weight probably makes a difference in our litigious society.

I had a couple of turned primer and a couple of twisted the other day. I'm new to the Dillon and was later having problems with getting primers to load into the tube used to pick them up. I have 5 tubes. Guess what I figured out? The Yellow cap was not on the tube all the way. A primer could drop between the tube and the yellow cap and turn over. Make sure that your caps are all the way pushed onto the tube.

Some things to check...

650 Rotary Priming System Adjustment Notes
  • Periodically (every 10,000 rounds or whenever you change primer size) lube the Axel Pin (in the middle of the primer disc) with grease.
  • Make sure the primer seating punch / bushing assembly is threaded all the way up into the platform. The top of the bushing should be flush with the platform.
  • The primer seating punch should be between flush with the top of the bushing to .020" below the top. There's no adjustment, it would be out of spec because of a collapsed spring or it's dirty.
  • Clean the interior of the primer magazine tube periodically. (Small cleaning patch with alcohol.)
  • If the disc doesn't rotate full travel (the primer hole in the disc isn't lined up with the primer seating punch) there are 3 possible causes:
    1. Short stroke on the handle is the most likely.
    2. Either wear to the primer cam, or the primer index arm is damaged.
    3. If the primer index arm fails to return, either the srping is damaged or the arm is bent.

[*]If an unused primer doesn't fall out of the primer disc, that can be a problem. Polish each end of each primer hole with a tapered cratex wheel/Dremel Tool.

Forum thread on 650 priming: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68532

:surprise: You don't have a 45 ACP case on the end of your primer follower?!? You just aren't cool if you don't have that mod! It does help a lot though. As much as I like Dillon gear I find it amazing that they won't weight the follower a little bit because they know it is too light in some cases. Yet they will tell you to put some weight on it. :eatdrink:

The plastic rod is so light that on my machine it won't even set off the low primer sensor. Just sits on the plastic tab and doesn't move it. That's when I remembered reading about the .45 case. Slid on there and worked perfect for setting the alarm.

Edited by mikeinctown

Jammed up again, after checking for burrs etc. Dillon shipped out a new primer system and swapped it out so far this one is working.

I did get the primer out that jammed up the press. I measured the feed hole on the primer tube and it was .180, measure 4 of the other primers from the press batch and they were .174. The offending primer was .174 at the base and .176 right at the top. The offending primer was around 90% in the disc.

See what happens.

• 4 years later...
On 9/29/2014 at 11:17 AM, Handloader109 said:

I had a couple of turned primer and a couple of twisted the other day. I'm new to the Dillon and was later having problems with getting primers to load into the tube used to pick them up. I have 5 tubes. Guess what I figured out? The Yellow cap was not on the tube all the way. A primer could drop between the tube and the yellow cap and turn over. Make sure that your caps are all the way pushed onto the tube.

Yep that was my problem too and i didn't know it until i saw your post. thank you so much.