Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Impending STEEL CHALLENGE Announcement...

MBaneACP

Okay kids, there's going to be a REALLY COOL announcement at SHOT regarding the 2005 Steel Challenge!

I'm trying to get permission to let BE listers get a jump on it, but here's the short story...if you've ever wanted to do the SC and go "misc. private parts to the wall," this is gonna be the year to do it!!!

Michael B

You DIDN'T hear it from me, but what if some nice company or companies were to pony up a couple of dollars...maybe 10 ro 20 thousand of them...for the shooter who shoots a Steel Challenge score that is actually ATTAINABLE...a score that has already been shot in the last five years?????????

Interesting thought, isn't it?

mb

Are you coming to CA Flex ???

I sure would like to. I doubt that I will, however. CA is pretty far from Ohio. Too far to drive. Putting that into the shooting budget would mean taking lots of other stuff out. :(

I do have a printout of the top times for the match. I'd need to boost my performance to even think about being competitive. (West Coast'ers own Steel Challenge)

for the shooter who shoots a Steel Challenge score that is actually ATTAINABLE...a score that has already been shot in the last five years?????????

Could you expound upon that for those of us who lost their Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Rings?

At a guess, if you take the 'best' scores from all the different shooters on all the stages, you'll probably get something around 60. Beating that would be a real feat, but possible. 60 seconds is a nice round "one-minute" time too.

update: adding up last year's "best" gives me 61.x. Maybe that's not it.

A zero or negative time on Speed Option would be fun, but also very difficult. Only two guys got below 8 on Smoke & Hope and those targets are a lot easier.

What would be entertaining (and we talked about it at a local speed match) is shooting the SC, but instead of throwing one run of five out, throw out four of five, so it comes down to single-best-run on every stage. That would fit MBane's "private parts to the wall" comment.

Formal announcement at SHOT.

Assume the 2-second for best 4 runs Speed Option bonus vanishes (ie, add 8 seconds to the score. That would make the last five year's scores all +8 seconds...last year's winning score would be 75.53; 2003 77.22 etc. Only ONE year in the last five has the final number been 72 or less (TGO, if you must know).

So I'm thinking the magic number is 72. THAT IS NOT A FINAL NUMBER NOR IS IT A DONE DEAL!!!!

And you didn't hear it from me...

Huh? I thought last year was the best ever score. I'd better go check my meds.

update:

Nope, I'm not off my rocker.

Winning SC times by year: (Pendulum substituted for Flying M in 2004)

1999 - 73.79 Doug

2000 - 77.06 Doug

2001 - 72.77 Doug

2002 - 68.45 TGO

2003 - 69.22 KC

2004 - 67.53 Sakai

I'll be very intertested to hear Mike & Mike explain the reason. They usually do things with the intention of either speeding up the match or making it run smoother. I can olnly guess that it will make the scoring go faster. Other than that ?????

Seems to me that it's the only hard part of the match to explain. "Each competitor shoots 5 runs on each stage—except for Outer Limits where they shoot 4 runs—and the slowest time is dropped. If a competitor misses a plate and/or shoots the stop plate before rest of the plates have been shot, s/he is assessed one penalty per unshot plate. The result of a penalty is an additional 3 seconds (it is 3 seconds, right?)per plate on the run during which the miss occurred. The rest of the times are added up to get the overall time. The lowest overall time wins the match."

You throw in "On Speed Option there is a plate that doesn't count against you if you don't shoot it, so there are no penalties for a miss, but if you do hit it, you can deduct 2 seconds from that run and for each run that you hit it on."

The rules are pretty straight forward until you throw in the Speed Option scoring. It was an interesting gimmick to make it seem like the stages were more different, but I don't think it's all that necessary anymore. Make it more accessible to the people watching from home. Time1 + time2 +... = your score.

• 2 weeks later...

Done deal...THE 72 SECOND CHALLENGE...as stated, break 72 seconds and get a check for $25 grand ($10K from The Ourdoor Channel; $10K from SIG; $5K for winning the Steel Challenge). In the event of more than one person breaking 72 seconds, FAST TIME TAKES HOME THE DOUGH!

Major publcity around this!!!

I think we've kicked it up a notch!

Michael B