Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P for 3gun

dhunt91

Okay first a little background I have shot both glocks and limited 1911's. I have just moved to shooting pretty much straight 3 gun. I liked my glock trigger but the grip angle was meh. I really liked my 1911 grip angle but with out having a really nice trigger job the pretravel getsme everytime (maybe just haven't shot it enough) Also almost got Dq'd twice at my first match using it. (saftey I hate you)

so enter the M&P from what I hear its the best of both worlds nice angle fairly nice trigger that can be turned into awesomeness.

So which model are you guys using for 3 gun and what mods are you doing specifically to them (trigger, magwell, porting?)

It also help that this is a poly lighter gun since my girlfriend is starting to shoot to but doesnt like my heavier stuff.

I do reload so taming the recoil and load can me mimalized somewhat.

Lets not get too far into the weeds with "awesomeness". Yes you can get a good trigger, but it is not a 1911 trigger.

I shot Glocks for a long time, and I still like them, but I really like my M&P9Pro (5"). Yes the trigger can be made better than a Glock trigger, with less effort and cost. I fought some barrel related accuracy issues and run a KKM now. Mine is USPSA production legal and for 3Gun I use magazines with TTI basepads on them. It has a trigger job and grip tape and that is it.

You could also look at an FNS9 5" or a XDm9 as well.

thanks mark and yea nothing is as good as a truly great tuned 1911 trigger.

My problem is a Highend 2011 is outta my budget and the 22tcm/9 ria highcap i have now I dont feel like sinking another 500-600 dollars into to make it completly relibale with modified sti mags holster trigger sights and all that. Id spend almost as much on it when I could get another pistol for that price tag.

I'm not a 3-gunner, but I'm running an M&P Core 4.25" set up for USPSA Limited. I can list all my upgrades, but mainly wanted to add a comment because you specifically mentioned weight.

I shot a 1911 (SA RO) all last year and then the M&P build this year. Between the two, the M&P feels almost weightless by comparison. An exaggeration I know, but it is an amazing difference. I was initially bummed to lose the sight radius of shooting the 4.25" model too, but that hasn't been an issue. Believe it or not, the sight radius is basically the same as my 5" 1911.

Anyway, it's a light package that transitions effortlessly and (for me) has natural pointability.

I have the newer barrel that was the S&W attempt at addressing accuracy issues. It's now on par with the G34 I started out shooting. Which is to say it's not a tack driver but it's plenty accurate enough for our games.

M&P Pro 5" or M&PL 5"

Apex Comp CAEK (factory trigger return spring)

Apex AEK aluminum trigger

SSS Limited Magwell

Dawson Adj or Sevigny sights with FO front

home stipple job and undercut.

Replaced sear housing blocks and strikers with newest generation.

Both my 5" guns were early generations lacking in the accuracy department. One went back to S&W and was returned with the newest barrel and I have been extremely happy with it. The other was replaced with an aftermarket barrel and accuracy has been great however I am having some reliability issues that I am still still trying to work out.

Good luck.

Edited by Nick S

I run a 4.25" 40SW version for everything. Light loads for production and 3gun, and sometimes major loads for L10 or L. I've replaced the sights, and has a "throw some APEX parts at it" trigger job and it does everything I need it to do. Oh and I took a soldering iron to the grips for traction. You can do magwells, and metal triggers and so on, but I'm not feeling the need.

I'll jump back in with an equipment list too --

4.25" 40S&W like Vlad

I shoot a 200gr for soft-soft-soft major. I was shooting at the range with a buddy who currently owns my old G34 and my 40 major loads were less recoil than the G34 shooting factory ammo. I haven't dabbled with minor in this gun, but my guess is it would be like shooting airsoft, hehehe.

Apex FSS with aluminum trigger and competition spring combo to bring it down to 2.5lb trigger

SSS magwell

SSS tungsten guide rod

13 lb recoil spring

Dawson FO front and rear sights

Dawson grip tape

Extended mag release (don't remember brand, but the metal one that just became available this summer)

TTI base pads

Cut down factory followers

TF 170mm mag springs with one loop cut off

That magazine combination gets me 21 reloadable. But to be honest I normally shoot Lim-10 and have only shot 2 or 3 matches with these fully loaded. And during one of those matches I had one mag not seat and fall out. So they're reloadable...just not idiot proof reloadable :blush: Seriously though, if I shot Limited more I'm sure I'd get the right technique nailed down and these would live up to the claim reloadable.

I'll give a special shout out for the Dawson grip tape. They're contoured to mate up to but not overlap the grip panels. That's a very nice touch. And I've shot all season with the first of three that came in the pack and it's still showing no signs of edge peeling or wearing out.

I use an M&P Pro 9 5" with the following for IDPA (ESP) and USPSA (LIM):

Apex Forward Set Sear and Trigger (4.5lbs and total travel of 3mm and breaks much like a 1911)

SSS Esp Mag-well

Springer Precision +0 Magazine Floor-plates

Hogue Hand-all Hybrid for M&P (grip sleeve that locks into palm-swell slot and feels great)

I love it and everyone who tries it out has been impressed. I'm planning on getting a 40 Pro to do the same setup for Limited Major and maybe Open some day.

Edited by Domineaux

The 5" M&P9 Pro is just about the perfect basis for a 3-Gun pistol. Mine has evolved over the years by adding an Apex FSS trigger kit and a SSS magwell. The pistol is lightweight, points perfectly (just like a 1911 IMHO), and with the FSS trigger gets you 90% of the way to a 1911 trigger. Best of all, the FSS trigger is still "drop-n-run" legal for abandonment, so no worries about the safety getting wiped off etc.

I have a matching M&P40 for USPSA Limited major, but I like my 9mm so much it is my go-to pistol. I also managed to get my hands on a CORE upper half, which I had Quad Ported for Open division and simply drop onto one of my existing frames. Photos below:

MampPMatchGuns_zps4c065906.jpg

CORErocks_zps2d5ca77c.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I think the Apex trigger reppacement is very cool, but I actually think that the polymer version is more comfortable...and about half the cost.

Finer sights are big plus too. Narrower front blade and new rear with narrower notch helps with longer-range 4"-6" knock down plates on Horner-esque stages.

Where can I get a tungsten guide rod for my M&P pro 5" ?

All sorts of goodies at http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=103_91

Make sure you get the full 5" version. They do also sell the 4.25" version and say it fits the 5" (which it will), but you are losing a lot of weight. Buy the 5"-specific version: http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_87_241&products_id=979

so which trigger kit do you need to drop it down to at least 3.5lbs

It is not so much about weight as about shortness of travel. The FSS kit allows for a very short pull and reset, which is a HUGE advantage for fast splits and especially movers/swingers, while still retaining full function of all passive safety features. I don't know if you would get as good a trigger piecemealing it together with individual parts (maybe yes, maybe no - I have never tried it). For how inexpensive the FSS set is, I don't know why you would not just buy the whole kit.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I run a M&P pro 5" with apex polyner trigger with FSS and competition spring kit and RAM. SSS ESP magwell TTI extended basepads dawson sights and springer precision slide racker. It is a great gun and the trigger is very nice for a polymer gun. All totaled I probably have $1100-1200 in the gun but it is half what an 2011 would be. I really like mine and don't have any plans of switching.

Ive been running an M&P similar to what others have. Apex fss, apex ram, apex extractor, SSS magwell and TTI basepads.

I had a couple FTE's at one point. Switched to the apex extractor and have been good since.

I also have a KKM barrel, I can shoot 2-3" groups at 25 which is probably the best my ability will allow.

I bought my gun in 2011 I think so the accuracy of the first gen barrel wasn't very good. My other M&P has the second gen barrel which seems fine. I havnt owned one of the newest barrels yet.

• 2 weeks later...

For 3gun I am using my Pro 9 with Apex DCAEK with polymer AET and RAM. I kept the stock springs in my gun instead of using the springs in the DCAEK kit. It made for a much lighter trigger pull. There is plenty of take up and overtravel with these parts, but I find the trigger much better than stock.

My stock barrel shot patterns (early model) so I replaced the barrel with a storm lake barrel. The replacement barrel is very accurate with all loads, but it has a tight chamber. I had some Freedom remanufactured 9mm that would not chamber at all. The rounds would barely chamber in my G17. I then tried my stock M&P barrel and the rounds would drop in and fall out. The stock barrel has a huge chamber, probably why the M&P's are reliable duty guns but suffer in the accuracy department.

For USPSA Limited I use a Pro 40. This pistol is a newer model (2013) which had a much better stock trigger than my early model 9 Pro. In this pistol is went with the polymer FSS trigger kit and installed all of the parts in the kit. What a trigger, short and light with a somewhat crisp break. The FSS really makes a difference. The stock barrel accuracy is acceptable so I have not changed it.

Both pistols have SSS magwells and guide rods with 13lb ISMI springs. It's amazing what lighter springs do for the feel of the guns when they are shot.

I shoot 3-gun, USPSA, IDPA, and some steel. I have favored guns for each game / Division but for 3-gun a bone stock M&P Pro 9mm with a self done Burwell trigger job is the ticket. Add some mag extensions and you're good to go. While all the mods like FSS, alum triggers, mag wells, etc. do add to the performance, but for 3-gun I think you're better off spending that money on better rifle optics, or rifle trigger, or 40 rnd rifle mags, or more SG caddies, or SG loading port mods, etc.

In 3-gun time gained by one or two faster pistol reloads with a mag well in a match or faster pistol splits with a lighter trigger is NOTHING to the time gained with good rifle optics & trigger when shooting past 200 yards or avoiding a rifle reload on a 30+ round rifle stage.

If the pistol is a multi use like USPSA Lim or IDPA ESP, add on the goodies but if just for 3-gun use the money else where. Unless you have lots of $$$ then add want ever you want.

YMMV

Edit to add: One necessary reliability mod is the Apex extractor- that is a must have no matter what.

Edited by Rob Tompkins