Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Average price to put on a recoil pad on shotgun?

I brought my own recoil pad over to a gunshop and had them install it on my Remington 1100. They charged about $60 with tax for the labor. The stock had to be cut back about 0.5" to get the same length of pull. $60 seemed a little steep to me, especially since the fit isn't perfect (slightly overside compared to stock in some places, a hair undersized on the top.)

What have y'all been charged for something similar? Or if you're in the biz, what do you charge?

If it's cheaper than $60 and in the central Texas area, please let me know, as I still have another recoil pad that needs to go on a rifle and don't relish the thought of paying out another $60 for a less than perfect job.

I charge around $65 to install and contour a shotgun pad. Cutting the stock is on the house.

OTOH, if I had paid $60 and got back a pad that was improperly fitted, I would go back to the shop and raise holy hell. Fitting a recoil pad is not hard - if you're charging money for it, there is NO excuse to be letting crap work out the door.

- Chris