Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there any reason to get something other than an M2?

Haraise

That's a fine unit right there, I love any firearms that are old and swiss. I spawned a whole new generation of swiss gun lovers by letting everyone I know shoot my Schmidt Rubins. Does your new p210 have the new style mag release or the old heel latch? And don't those have something like a 2" at 50yds guarantee?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure do (they're better), although I have to admit an exception for a P210, because I don't know what one is.

It's that kind of attitude that makes me happy every time I see the m&p9/mossberg 930 guys whoop on the sti/benelli guys at a lot of matches I've been to. It doesn't happen every time but it does happen. Experience and practice beats equipment and brand names every time.

You're right, and I owned an M&P40 that put down some hurt on an awful lot of fancy 2011s, but the Infinity sure is a lot easier to shoot. Prettier too. And that leads us back to why Benelli; because it's the best, and you can get beaten by someone shooting a different shotgun, but it ain't gonna be the shotgun's fault.

Fair enough, my fnx has put a few high dollar guns or at least their owners to shame but for the reasons you stated I'm in the market for a higher end CZ for my competition gun. I don't have a problem with nice or high dollar guns, usually it's the people holding them that bother me.

1. If you want an American Made shotgun, Yes
  2. If you want a softer shooting shotgun, Yes
  3. If you want a less expensive shotgun, Yes
  4. If you want a larger loading port, Yes

1. Nope.

2. Yep.

3. Just want quality. SVI of shotguns is the idea, and Benelli is as close as I could find?

4. Would be great.

Your carbon tubes work on Benellis?

According to the survey currently going on, there seem to be a number of people who use/like some other shotgun brand.

survey says,.........

"they cant shoot"!

So when was the last time you beat Horner (VM), Jordan (Browning) or any of the Miculeks (Mossbergs)? :roflol: 6 of the top 8 on the Pro Tour don't shoot an M2, nah, they can't shoot.

No love for the Benelli's Mark? Enlighten us! Your a VM guy if I remember correctly.

Benellis are fine shotguns and they deserve the reputation that they hold. I've run 1100s, SLPs. and VMs and am working on the M3000 over the next few months. There are poor choices, and better choices. The M2 is certainly one of the better ones.

Yes, I run a VM, and I have spent a lot of time and effort on them, prior to them the SLPs. They have some issues, but some have been overblown and some of the features under appreciated. The AMU guys seem to do okay with VMs. Jordan and Thacker seems to do okay with the Browning.

That's a fine unit right there, I love any firearms that are old and swiss. I spawned a whole new generation of swiss gun lovers by letting everyone I know shoot my Schmidt Rubins. Does your new p210 have the new style mag release or the old heel latch? And don't those have something like a 2" at 50yds guarantee?

The new Legends have the side mounted mag release as well as an improved safety control. The only thing wrong with the latter is its placement. That has been addressed with the P-210 Legend Super Target for a mere $1000 more. The Legend comes in two models one of which has fixed sights while the Target has adjustable rears.

I don't think there's an accuracy guarantee but it you shoot "Bullseye" in Europe, the P-210 is still the "gold standard". While mental, when I shoot that gun my confidence level goes up several notches. Put my gun in competent hands and watch out; there will be holes in holes.

This has been a fun and informative threadjack hercster... now back on topic before I get yelled at. Mark, what are your thoughts on the 1301? It hasn't received a lot of attention from the pros yet, don't know if there's a big flaw i haven't found on mine or if they're just new enough to not be popular.

I'm old and also a relative beginner at the SG game so I'll never push my VMT very hard. So if I take what Mr. MarkCo listed and change out a few parts after a while where things like pins and such have been known to wear or fail, it's been a good choice for me. Before I got mine, I squaded with Benny Hill at a match in Corpus and he seemed to do OK with a VM. I brought my gun back to him for his "package" of upgrades and don't feel like a poor cousin wherever I shoot which is more in Corpus Christi than in Canada. Benny builds and sells quite a few of both guns and has a pretty decent market for the VM's.

I did not like how the 1301 feels loading TWinS and Quads, did not like the recoil impulse, really don't like the controls. If you like the controls and can load it well for you, then it is fine.

When "new" to 3Gun customer's call me and ask me what shotgun to get, I use this as the answer...

I can take your rifle or pistol and shoot at least 90%, probably 95% of my skillset. If you give me your shotgun and gear, it is what I like, sure I can do fine, but if not, I might only muster 65% of my skillset. Shotgun is a more personalized platform requiring fit, confidence the right sighting system for your style, build and even skillset. There won't be one best that works for everyone, and that is okay. But the choices in shotgun can affect your scores more than the pistol and rifle choices that get argued here as well.

I try to explain as best I can what the various platforms offer in pro and cons, offer my perception on the life of the guns and then tell them to go shoot as many as they can, realizing that a perfect fit might trick you into thinking one is better when it was really the fit that agreed with you. I have friends who shoot M2s, SLPs. VMs, M3000s even 1100s and 930s.

Horner's Versa Max has lots of Benelli parts in it. Matter of fact it is so well known that Benelli parts run many a Versa that the terms Remnelli and Benmington have become common place right here on these forums. I can say this with no reservation...of all the shotguns listed the only one with consistently high quality controls is Benelli. So good in fact you will find their parts in Remington, Stogers, and CZs to replace the substandard parts put in by these companies.

Fair enough. I'm one of those crazy caddie running weak hand loading fools so the twin loading issue most run into hasn't bothered me. I imagine the controls you don't like where the shell drop button and the safety placement. I was aware of and familiar with both before I got the gun so it wasn't a transition problem for me. And the fit you speak of was a selling point for me, shorter LOP stocks are kinda rare.

In reference to the original post, I definitely wouldn't think of an M2 when looking for " lighter recoiling ", lighter weight yes but light weight and lighter recoil do not go hand in hand, there is always a trade off. I have owned a 1301 also and while it does not kick as much as a Benelli it kicks a lot more than a VM. But the 1301 does point nicely and runs well-

You're right it is heavy but it does a lot of the other things, ( load easy, super light recoil, eats any loads with no issues ) really well. All of the brands have their pluses and minuses, not one of them is perfect in every way, but like Mark said, it is a very personal decision and each person is going to perceive certain things differently so it is really about what you think are the most important things about each one. The best way to figure that out is to try to shoot each one if possible, I wish I had but I had to learn by trial and error and would have saved some money if I had tried some other peoples guns first.

Yeah, the Versamax is my second option, but it's just rather heavy. That's a killer for me, but I really should try it.

I'm not sure of the Benelli but my VM shipped with adjusting plates for the stock. With patience I got the gun to fit me very well and that made a big difference to my sight picture. If you are buying for the games, that gun isn't on your shoulder very long. It's slam bam thank you mam and it's all over but the crying. Whatever you buy, check to see if the stock can be adjusted to fit and get some help with that if necessary. It took me a few tries with the VM but eventually I got it right and that red dot FO just slams into view more of less on target.

Benelli M2's come with stock shims for adjusting the stock and 5 different chokes.

Here's a pic of my 20" M2 I use for open division. With the bolt mod and lightened, I can get 12 rounds in the gun. Soft shootin' and all the work done by Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports. I put on the SpeedBead.

post-15700-0-26088400-1411475235_thumb.j

M2 is overrated really. I have an 1100 that has over 500 rounds down the pipe with zero malfunctions (Except for 3 that were ammo related).

O_o

Not dealing with the loading gate on an 1100/1187 is reason enough to get something else.

500 rounds is a drop in the bucket. High mileage 1100s are high maintenance.