Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Member Proposed Rule Changes is now open!

ES13Raven

but you can already shoot that gun in USPSA. Why don't you? And why don't you get your friends to do it too? And why don't you ask the MD to break out your scores separately? I know i would happily do that. Prove that there are more than 10-15 people in the country that care about this issue.

Glock slides milled for RMR optic, available at Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/tactical-19-rmr-slide-for-glock--sku100008783-45253-101546.aspx

Glock slides milled for RMR optic, available from One Source Tactical: http://www.onesourcetactical.com/tsdpistolslides.aspx

Glock slides milled for optics available from Lone Wolf: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156471

From Rogers Shooting School: http://www.rogersshootingschool.com/products/gunslide.php

From GlockWorx: http://www.glockworx.com/products.aspx?CAT=3720

There wouldn't be that many different places providing this service if only 10-15 people nationwide were carrying Glocks with slide-mounted optics.

Absolutely! I have a Glock 17 with a One Source Tactical milled slide and a Trijicon RM02. It is fabulous and extends the shooting life of people with old age eyes (many IDPA members). It is time IDPA tried to get ahead of the curve. This is the future of handguns for both civilian and police use. These guns (unlike the USPSA race guns) can be holstered in your current competition holsters in most cases.

The compact guns of the Glock 19 size can already be used in IDPA and some use them regularly and effectively. Let's get into the future with red dots and lasers. My personal opinion is the red dots are much better than the lasers and will dominate the class. The M&P Core already comes milled for a red dot sight. If this passes all manufacturers will supply similar options and the red dots will be the only added expense for shooters. The increased sales of red dots will cause reduced prices. The LOP division will eventually take over as IDPA's most popular division. Let's git'er done!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will agree the red dots are the future but I'm not sure IDPA is forward thinking enough for this. Its just not IDPA either, I have almost 30 years in LE and for the five years we tried to convince our administration to explore, in a pilot project, the use of a small dot on a duty weapon. With a new administration, this finally happened last month. I also like the idea of having the smaller CC guns 3" barrel or less, compete in a different division.

I for one would like to see more divisions in IDPA. It keeps everyone on an equal playing field and gives shooters choices in what types of guns they want to shoot. Getting rid of the ESR division (my opinion) is a horrible move. One complaint is the purchase of plaques / trophies for so many divisions and classes but that can be addressed by offering a certificate instead of a plaque. Add the different divisions and bring more shooters into the sport. Below is the mission statement from IDPA. I would think IDPA would try to reach as many shooters as they could.

1: Promote safe and proficient use of guns and equipment suitable for self-defense use.

2: Provide a level playing field for all competitors to test the skill and ability of the individual, not their equipment or gamesmanship.

3: Provide separate divisions for equipment and classifications for shooters, such that guns with similar characteristics are grouped together and people with similar skills compete only against each other.

4: Provide shooters with practical and realistic courses of fire that simulate a potentially life-threatening encounter or that tests skills that would be required to survive a life-threatening encounter.

5: Offer a practical shooting sport that is responsive to the shooters and sponsors, with unprecedented stability of equipment rules.

6: Offer a practical shooting sport that allows the competitors to concentrate on the development of their shooting skills and fellowship with other likeminded shooters.

+1. IDPA's 'mission statement' doesn't seem to be reflected in their policies. More divisions would be good. One way to avoid excessive trophy plaque costs would be to change the award structure. If you gave one award for every five or six shooters in class/division instead of the current I in 3, You could even out the plaque costs for two more divisions.

Or, award plaques for the top 3 and certificates to the rest. Is anyone really proud of their "10th Place Marksman Class SSP" trophy?

If IDPA wants to grow they need to reach more shooters. And if they adhere to their mission statement to promote the use of self-defense handguns they need to include divisions for those handguns that are commonly carried for self-defense. IMHO that would include compact carry pistols and revolvers, with lasers allowed (lasers are only an advantage in dim light and they aren't going to be a significant competitive advantage at most matches).

There is room for some creative thought here.

Also, for the "you can already shoot that in USPSA" crowd, not really. A Glock 19 with an RMR on it will not be competitive in USPSA Open class. An open gun will cost around $5k. A Glock 19 with an RMR is more like $1500. You can carry a Glock 19 with an RMR concealed on a regular basis. An Open gun? Not so much.

Also, for the "you can already shoot that in USPSA" crowd, not really. A Glock 19 with an RMR on it will not be competitive in USPSA Open class. An open gun will cost around $5k. A Glock 19 with an RMR is more like $1500. You can carry a Glock 19 with an RMR concealed on a regular basis. An Open gun? Not so much.

I belive the point is in IDPA unless your MD wants to allow a not for competition division if you show up with that RMRed 19 you don't get too play at all sorry thanks for showing up but go home now. In USPSA same guy and gun gets to shoot match for score just against guns that are better suited to the game.

Same goes for my EDC G19 with a Crimson Trace laser, IDPA maybe I can play, USPSA cone play all you want.

Red dots on carry guns is in our future. Immediate future I'd dare say.

Shooting organizations that make room for them are ahead of the learning curve. USPSA has Open Division so no need for Optics Production Division is necessary at this time.

IDPA is a different story altogether....

Edited by Chuck D

Yesterday, Springer Precision posted that they sell many more optic mounts for concealed carry than they do for competition. There are lots of places that offer slide milling, adapters, replacement slides, etc. If there wasn't a market, they wouldn't be doing it. I don't think its as uncommon to use a slide mounted optic for concealed carry as some would lead you to believe. Seems to me having a division for it in IDPA is a stop in the right direction.

Having an optic put on a "carry gun" and actually carrying it are two different things.

I know several guys who have added an optic their gun, but I never actually see them carrying it.

They do like to show it off at the house or the club though.

Of course they rarely carried the gun when it was naked, so the addition of the optic is for "show and tell" for a lot of these guys.

AD

Sent from the Glock Range Bag iPad using Tapatalk and a screwdriver