Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Member Proposed Rule Changes is now open!

ES13Raven

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Think that a rule needs to be proposed that says, if that during the course of fire, a competitor has to go down to one or both knee's and gets injured doing so, then IDPA will pickup the full medical bills for the competitor, since injury prevention equipment is not allowed.

I'm not being a smart a$$, this is real life to all those at the IDPA office. not make believe land

Edited by JohnRodriguez

Seems to me that rules exist for a reason. It does not matter what they are if everyone has to obey them. So why not allow a shooter to move behind cover to a new shooting position while reloading? One very good reason is that safety will suffer and DQ's will result. Imagine cover parallel to the 180. A right handed shooter is attempting a moving reload behind that cover while moving to his left. Breaking the 180 when bringing the gun up into a reload position will be rampant. Spectators will be less safe and shooters will be going home.

The knee pad/knee brace issue is one of fairness. Seldom will you have time to put on your pad or brace if needing to use your weapon. If braces are allowed and not pads who will decide if a brace that is padded is really a brace or a way to cheat the intent of the rule. If the shooter insists he needs a brace (and that brace "happens" to be padded) who will decide the result? The only way to control that is more rules that describe what a brace can be and there will complaining about that also.

The fact is that rules are fine because everyone shoots by the same rules, I hope...the cover calls are a problem I admit. Having participated in many different competitive activities, I can assure you that shooters are the biggest whiners that I have encountered. It is impossible to satisfy everyone with every rule. Learn the rules. Shoot by them and have fun...and beat crap out of your competition. It does not matter what the rules are as long as everyone is treated the same and goes home safely.

We moved and reloaded behind cover safely for nearly 20 years. Safety is not what motivated the present requirement for a standing reload.

While I will not have time to put on a kneepad in the "real world" (Sorry, kitty.) I will not likely get in 14 gunfights in the same day, either.

Kneepads are protective sports equipment just as our safety glasses and earmuffs are. I wear mine under long pants as the rules have long allowed, but why should I have an advantage over those with good enough legs for shorts?

We moved and reloaded behind cover safely for nearly 20 years. Safety is not what motivated the present requirement for a standing reload.

While I will not have time to put on a kneepad in the "real world" (Sorry, kitty.) I will not likely get in 14 gunfights in the same day, either.

Kneepads are protective sports equipment just as our safety glasses and earmuffs are. I wear mine under long pants as the rules have long allowed, but why should I have an advantage over those with good enough legs for shorts?

Well said.

Seems to me that rules exist for a reason. It does not matter what they are if everyone has to obey them. So why not allow a shooter to move behind cover to a new shooting position while reloading? One very good reason is that safety will suffer and DQ's will result. Imagine cover parallel to the 180. A right handed shooter is attempting a moving reload behind that cover while moving to his left. Breaking the 180 when bringing the gun up into a reload position will be rampant. Spectators will be less safe and shooters will be going home.

The knee pad/knee brace issue is one of fairness. Seldom will you have time to put on your pad or brace if needing to use your weapon. If braces are allowed and not pads who will decide if a brace that is padded is really a brace or a way to cheat the intent of the rule. If the shooter insists he needs a brace (and that brace "happens" to be padded) who will decide the result? The only way to control that is more rules that describe what a brace can be and there will complaining about that also.

The fact is that rules are fine because everyone shoots by the same rules, I hope...the cover calls are a problem I admit. Having participated in many different competitive activities, I can assure you that shooters are the biggest whiners that I have encountered. It is impossible to satisfy everyone with every rule. Learn the rules. Shoot by them and have fun...and beat crap out of your competition. It does not matter what the rules are as long as everyone is treated the same and goes home safely.

If I get in a real gun fight and in using some low cover to save my life I rip up my knees that will be at the bottom of my list of things I will be worried about. if on the other hand I go to a sporting event on a hot day the way the rules are I have to choose to either protect my knees and wear long pants to hide it or not protect my knees and wear shorts to deal with the heat better. the rules don't day you cant wear knee pads but you have to hide them by that logic we should also be limited to shooting with only prescription glasses and hearing aids because muffs and shooting glasses cant be hidden and aren't normal attire for going to the mall.

Seems to me that rules exist for a reason. It does not matter what they are if everyone has to obey them. So why not allow a shooter to move behind cover to a new shooting position while reloading? One very good reason is that safety will suffer and DQ's will result.

Oh, please. We were doing moving reloads in IDPA for years. That other shooting sport has been doing moving reloads for decades.

Moving reloads can be done safely.

Edited by M1911

(Seems to me that rules exist for a reason. It does not matter what they are if everyone has to obey them. So why not allow a shooter to move behind cover to a new shooting position while reloading? One very good reason is that safety will suffer and DQ's will result.)

WHAT? I guess in all the years I reloaded while moving, I had been putting myself at risk! Take that **** somewhere else.

That only makes sense if the shooters don't practice. In uspsa most shooters practice, so while dq's do sometimes occur for reloads while moving towards the weak side, they are still pretty rare.

That only makes sense if the shooters don't practice. In uspsa most shooters practice, so while dq's do sometimes occur for reloads while moving towards the weak side, they are still pretty rare.

+1 to motosapiens. If you get DQ'd, then you get DQ'd. You take responsibility, correct your behavior, and come back smarter. One should be able to practice muzzle control, thats part of the game, no matter which way your moving when you reload. Its not a safety issue, as must as moving and shooting isn't a safety issue. Even in the real world, one must practice muzzle control....

In regards to the knee pads/knee brace: I put in for a change to the language. As I get older I find my knees are degenerating on me. Part of that is genetics. But to be penalized for wearing a brace and wanting to wear shorts is ridiculous. In the grand scheme, IDPA doesn't do enough stages where you have to go to a knee, maybe once during a club match and at the most a couple times for a sanctioned. So wearing a knee pad is really rather silly. But if there is a medical need for a brace, I see it as a safety issue.

Someone with a bad knee would have to wear a brace under long pants. On a hot day, this could cause the shooter to overheat. Other side: wears shorts and no brace to combat the heat, but knee buckles and they fall, possibly with loaded gun in hand.

I would like to see a greater distinction in the rules so that medical knee braces are perfectly legal with shorts (or a kilt for some of you out there)

Edited by bigdawgbeav

I love the sport of IDPA done right. the problem is making too many rules and the rules too subjective to an SO's interpretation or whim.

Some people like bullseye, some people like nra action pistol some like IPSC some like USPSA and others like IDPA. I just love them all, and feel that subjective and ignorant rules made and used to penalize people who play in other sports are pretty childish.

I really hate the flat footed reload. IDPA is my first pistol shooting sport so I'm not influenced by USPSA, but I have been penalized for moving with an empty gun then stopping once i realize it is empty to reload. Or been on the move, about one step, realizing I'm out, stopping then recovering with a step to recover balance.

Stupid rule needs to go

The "new" rulebook was never going to stand the test of time...it simply couldn't. It was an object failure from the flat footed reload perspective alone never mind telling guys they can't wear soft knee pads with shorts or some form of knee brace for people with bad knees or preexisting injuries.

It will be interesting whether IDPA has the strength of their convictions to once again ignore member input or be strong enough to admit mistakes, bad advice, and make positive changes. I know what I think will happen....

I find in interesting that they're soliciting input from the members again on possible rulebook changes that both IDPA and others on many forums have expressed their steadfast support for and have defended "tooth and nail" regardless of its blindingly obvious deficiencies.

IDPA couldn't keep the memberships dissatisfaction with aspects of the rulebook under control forever...

IDPA couldn't keep the memberships dissatisfaction with aspects of the rulebook under control forever...

They certainly kept *my* dissatisfaction under control. I simply stopped shooting IDPA last fall and didn't renew my membership. Now I have no dissatisfaction whatsoever.

I don't think it's just the flat-footed reloads either, I think it's the whole flawed and dangerous concept of trying to pretend there is anything 'tactical' or 'real-world' about the rules. I love the focus on carry-guns and concealment, but I think pretty much ALL the rules are stupid, subjective, and specifically designed to discourage and drive away good competitive shooters.

I think what the world (at least my world) needs is a USPSA-light sport. Limited round count, carry equipment and concealment, and regular old uspsa rules for everything else. Encourage people to practice and compete with what they carry (or at least what they *can* carry).

Edited by motosapiens

I stopped as well. I wouldn't go so far as say all the rules were and are stupid but some were beyond comprehension.

Add to that the "take it or leave it" attitude from Joyce and the fact that the sport is being guided by Marksman classified shooters and dinosaurs from the "tactical" training realm who went out of their way to run off the competitive shooter and it's clear that their belief that "all is well" is more HQ smoke and mirrors.

If the rules are SO well received and beneficial to the sport...why revise them again ?