Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Following on TS

alma

It looks like my TS hammer is following to half cock. The first occurrence was a week and a half ago at the last stage of a match. At this last practice session it was fine for the first 130 rounds or so but then started following with increasing regularity. I will take it apart and clean it out because its been awhile but what other advice could you offer?

Edit: Already checked the overtravel and it is good. I backed it off another quarter turn just in case but it didn't make a difference.

Edited by alma

So when you hold the trigger against the overtravel screw and thumb the hammer back and forth, it doesn't touch the sear?

no. I even backed it a bit further out to ensure that wasn't the issue

Under normal circumstances I still say no but with the slide off if I push down on the cage I can just barely get it to contact.

you have to try that with slide on. it should not touch the sear. you have to back off your overtravel screw until the hammer and sear doesn't touch when you rock the hammer back and forth while pressing your trigger.

i had done that in the past and backed it off further prior to the last range session just in case.

thanks for the advice and help. It's all cleaned out now as well. There were a few brass shavings and the like back there so it's possible that a small piece of something was making it worse. I will test fire once more before moving forward.

Alma,

If you continue to experience problems, PM me. I'm pretty sure I know what's causing it and have first-hand experience with the situation.

thanks for the advice and help. It's all cleaned out now as well. There were a few brass shavings and the like back there so it's possible that a small piece of something was making it worse. I will test fire once more before moving forward.

I get what you're saying 49erfan. like in a 1911 as the slide cycles it hits the disco to disengage the sear from the hammer as it cocks the hammer and resets. in the case of a SAO CZ there is no disco (like we have in a DA/SA CZ) but the slide pushes down on the ears on the trigger bar as it cycles to act as the disconnector.

but what happens when the hammer is work once the hammer is at full cock it slips off the sear and drops to half cock. this is probably due to the rounded hooks (sear looks somewhat less than sharp too).

that is most likely cause by sear dragging on the hammer when the hammer is dropped.

as the guys mentioned most likely overtravel was not enough and the sear was dragging on the hammer. the hooks can probably be re-cut if you send it back to CZC?

I put the original TS hammer back in to get this gun back up and running for my match tomorrow.

it is back to functioning normally even though the trigger is now about 6 oz heavier (still under 2 lb).

I will revisit the CZC hammer during the off season. One thing that I found interesting is that it seems like the trigger rests a bit further forward with the stock hammer than the CZC one. That is a good thing for my since I have larger hands and could really use a longer pull on most guns.

Thanks as always for the help.