Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a 300 Blackout?

A well Earled machine

I was the CRO on Stage 6 [the NVG house] again this year and got a lot of insight on the 300 Blackout from the owner of Gemtech - Mr. Vickers. Gemtech and PWS have put a lot of time into perfecting this round / rifle / suppressor and I got to see firsthand its performance over the long weekend.

If you’re considering building one – I may be able to help.

Earl

i was considering build one for social work and range fun, and I still am. seems like the round might be terrible for 3 gun (expensive, bad trajectory, extra recoil) but the thought of a 220gn suppressed 8" SBR has me really intrigued.

so do you have a hook up for parts cheap? One of the other thing that really made me consider it was the fact that I could use all my existing 223 spare stuff, except the barrel.

Yup, you’re right on all accounts. The cool thing I saw was it would ring a MGM BCC plate with authority so it should smack a hog pretty good and it is real quiet too. All you really would need is a barrel and a way to tune the reciprocating mass [bCG, Buffer, Spring...] to the load you want. Kinda like getting a 1911 to just run on barely major ammo.

The other thing I was cautioned about was trying to use 223 brass. Attempting to anneal, cut to length, reform then size a piece of brass that likely was intended to be used once and discarded [as in most Mil Spec brass] will result in early case separation. He said there are lots of guys doing it but unless you intend to process it then leave it on the ground, you’re asking for trouble. One of the reps mentioned the best case neck remover he had found but I forget the name.

I don’t have a line on parts per say, but I do have a bucket of Gemtech 300 BLK brass that I won’t be using. We picked it after running all our squads. This was born 300 BLK and if loaded sub sonic should last 8-10 loadings. It weighs 27 lbs. and figures to be about 2K. I polished it and can ship it in USPS one rate box. The 223 reformed stuff seems to go for around $.25- $.28 ea. so I thought $.25 shipped would be fair. I even have a box [20] of the new rounds that flip out when we clear the rifle that I’ll through in. This would set you up for life and you won't have to try to make something else work - and it's all the same mfg.

LMK what you think,

Earl

360-649-3693

ejull@hotmail.com

post-16394-0-41643800-1410894507_thumb.j

post-16394-0-03055800-1410894526_thumb.j

post-16394-0-94764800-1410894545_thumb.j

The other thing I was cautioned about was trying to use 223 brass. Attempting to anneal, cut to length, reform then size a piece of brass that likely was intended to be used once and discarded [as in most Mil Spec brass] will result in early case separation.

Exactly the oppostite result of what I and lots of others have found.

I have some Lapua 223 brass that I have over 10 reloads on. Lots of Lake City has 4-6 reloads of warm supersonic on it.

Some guys are even cutting Lake City blank brass down and using it for subs.

I built a 10" upper using a barrel from my good friends at Carbon Arm's.......came with the gas block and tube. It's a tac driver.

The bad news is that I live in MN....so suppressors are pretty much a no go for me. So I've not been using sub-sonic rounds. Remington hog hammers and Fioochi 150 gr have been doing great though.

I run 125 Ballistic Tips to 240 SMKs through mine. Exceptional accuracy, all using brass made from .223 cases. I get numerous loading on them with no issues. I call the .300BO the "Modern 30-30" except is really is more versatile. There are a lot of options. and FWIW, it is the one my wife prefers over all the other firearms I have. :roflol:

The PWS was a lot of fun though. :) I never do well on the NVG stage, I am too busy enjoying the gear. :)

Ok. so first questions first.. I have two 16" guns ( one take down one) one a JSE upper.... and it's a tac driver with factory ammo. haven't accuracy tested my hand loads in it yet, I've been quite busy.

So Gemtec a lot of time and effort. why does it bear the AAC name on the blackout cartridge then?

I'm building 2 more 10" barreled uppers.

I don't think it would be terrible for 3 gun, yes it's a little pricer than 223 .. but it can make major. Daniel Horner has won nationals with the round. and I have heard no problems about shooting 223 brass that has been formed to 300 over and over and over. The 300 doesn't operate near the CUP pressure that 223 does.

using super sonic ammo, you JUST need a barrel with a mid length gas system. ... shooting subsonic definitely go pistol length on the gas system.

Radical arms, and a few others have great deals on 300 blackout uppers.

for headstamped 300 brass it is pricy. and your price isn't unfair, but it's expensive.

aloaha brass sells 223 blanks for $25 per 1000 I got 2500 for $80. some will say you can't use blanks.. measurements of thickness and hardness tests on the blank brass says that you can.