Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIP Boyd Mercer

Braxton1

Garris Mercer, who'd just won his class at the Georgia State USPSA match on Saturday, took to Facebook this morning to announce that his father, BOYD MERCER, of Spartanburg, SC succumbed after a long battle with cancer this morning at 0210. Boyd was a tireless volunteer and supporter of USPSA in the southeast and will surely be missed.

Funeral arrangements are still pending, but you can send cards to the family at:

The Mercer Family

120 West Forest Drive

Spartanburg, SC 29301

When I first got into pistol competition, Boyd let me come to his home and learn how to reload. I spent many nights there running a 550, 650, and Square deal. He taught me all the little intricacies of those machines. He was always willing to help new shooters and often carried extra belts, mag pouches and holsters in his truck , in case someone needed to borrow one. He truly loved to shoot guns, all guns, any gun!

His son Garris just won B class Open and High Junior at GA State this past weekend. Boyd couldn't make that trip to GA, as he had just traveled to the match prior; Area 8 and it took too much out of him. Boyd passed away early Sunday morning.

I will miss this funny, great, guy... some good times that won't be forgotten.

Here is the Obit:http://www.jmdunbar.com/home/index.cfm/obituaries/view/fh_id/14274/id/2678549

Edited by dirty whiteboy

I only knew Boyd for about 4 years. As a new shooter it was so nice to get to a local match and have someone you have never met, smile, say hello, and offer help. Boyd was that guy. I will miss him, a lot of new shooters that have never met him will lose out.

When I first got into pistol competition, Boyd let me come to his home and learn how to reload. I spent many nights there running a 550, 650, and Square deal. He taught me all the little intricacies of those machines.

Many people could repeat that statement. Boyd did everything he could to help out ANY shooter.

Boyd was an awesome man and is already sorely missed.

I can also to attest to what a great guy Boyd was. I only shoot production, I don't have a lim, ss, open gun. Can't tell you how many times Boyd said to me, "you want to shoot my "insert gun here" at the next match? Just let me know".

He will be sorely missed.

I just saw this on the local news. He helped me through many stages and always answered my silly questions. Boyd was a model supporter of the sport and a great person. He will be missed, and won't be forgotten.