Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building berms

Onepocket

On a car forum I frequent a person needed to build up an large area for a garage. He contacted his county highway department and had truck load after truck load of fill delivered for free. Since they normally pay to dump it they both made out. You'd likely need other cleaner materal to face the fill with, but it's worth checking.

Since you may want to walk on top of the berm at some point (maintenance and such), you may have to build it taller and knock it down for a flat top.

You could also plant 4x4s on top, screw marine grade 3/4" plywood to each side and dump pea gravel inside the gap. That will give you 24' in height with the plywood. Or go 16' with the plywood and pea gravel. Plywood laying horizontal, of course.

huesco barrier? at our gun club we also got a big agency who was doing work nearby to dump their dirt for us, which as was mentioned they normally have to pay to get rid of fill.

i've never seen a 20' high berm on all three sides. sounds great! i would definitely plant something that will control erosion rather than make it worse.