Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions about Holding NSSF Rimfire Challenge Matches

ZackJones

So Zack, I assume you've been running matches by now. How are things going?

I just saw this today for some odd reason. Our matches have been very, very fun but turn out has been low. It may be that having the matches on Sunday hurts attendance. We had two other shooters besides me at the last match. We won't be holding them next year.

In my opinion, there are typically a few things that hamper growth of a RFC match on the local level, and as a result on the national level. Lack of several volunteers willing to put in the time and effort, lack of static targets, lack of ammo, competition with more dynamic sports.

If a club is willing to put it on and has the steel, then start-up is easy. But that also usually means that RFC is competing with current steel matches that already have rimfire options. That splits the workforce, or doubles the workload. If you can get started, the NSSF ammo program makes ammo available, so that is not really hampering the matches. NSSF has resources to help clubs get started, but it still takes a few people at the local level to pick up the ball and run with it. In most cases, one or even 3 or 4 volunteers is not enough.

The goal of RFC has always been getting new, and more people introduced to competitive shooting. That means partnering with gunstores, ranges and other non-endemic groups to "invite" people out to shoot. When a match tries to draw from current shooters, success is hard. When a match/range sees RFC as an introductory vehicle to add to their members and competitive shooting in general, it means sacrifice of time to go out and find those new shooters. That time sacrifice saddled on the 10% of the competitors who volunteer to setup and run matches is in most cases, just too much.

RFC has (and this is not necessarily bad) developed into a "preferred" sport for many competitors and while they do bring their kids and grandkids to matches, the grassroots growth potential has been tapped by only a few clubs where a person or persons had a passion to introduce new people (outside of the normal industry channels) to competitive shooting. The established shooters, in some cases, have lost sight of the main goal of RFC and as such, that is further hampering growth.

The NSSF Rimfire Challenge is a .22 rifle and pistol program created to introduce new people to the shooting sports and provide a pathway to shooting competition. The NSSF Rimfire Challenge can provide individuals or families with a fun and exciting first-time shooting experience. Shooting ranges can utilize the concept as a Second Round component to NSSF's First Shots program.

Based on what I have learned over the past several years, if someone asked me today how to start a club, here is the plan I would give them.

1. Get buy in from the members, BOD of the club and apply for a target grant. Commit to 2 years, on a regular schedule for the matches. Have at least 4 people willing to run the matches.

2. Partner with Appleseed, Boyscouts, 4H, local Recreation department, even primary and secondary schools to promote the sport.

3. Have loaner guns and free ammo for 1st time competitors.

4. Partner with a local FFL to provide discounts on .22RF firearms purchases for your participants and put up signage, have an open house, etc. If that FFL goes to gunshows and will put up a sign on his table, even better.

5. Use the NSSF resources and assistance including First Shots.

Edited by MarkCO

Do you think Rimfire ammo availability had something to do with it?. Were you able to get ano from NSSF to sell?

Not really. A Field and Stream store opened here recently and they had more 22 ammo than I've seen in a LONG time but I never had anyone tell me they wouldn't shoot due to not having ammo. I was able to buy ammo for shooters and sold most of what I bought. Fortunately I only bought 5 boxes of each kind to start off.

In my case I think the problem was with the match day. Our USPSA steel challenge match is on the 4th Saturday so I was holding the NSSF match on the 4th Sunday. I think having back-to-back matches like that may not have been the best idea but I wasn't going to commit to spending another Saturday at the range for the NSSF match. Our club is extremely active with matches so my only real choice was to hold the match on Sunday.

I agree Zack. In one club I have shot regularly for years the Sunday matches are not as popular as the Saturday ones regardless of what they are. Many of the Saturday ones are filled to capacity. At Peacemaker almost all of the matches are on Saturdays even if they have to double up on them. Originally they saved Sunday for all their training courses but lately they have put a couple of matches on Sundays.

• 1 year later...

I hold an informal Rimfire Challenge match one Sunday a month from May-Sep at my home range.  It is the main activity for a "Sunday Picnic and Shoot", it is an activity for members of my church(and friends), hot dog cookout, pot luck sides,lawn games, etc.. I am an NRA Pistol instructor and RO.  For a number of years, I used the NRA Rimfire Silhouette match, but it proved to difficult for most shooters.  Understand, most are non-competitive shooters, most borrow my rifles(I have 3-4 10-22s I loan). Great success with the Rimfire Challenge format, I visit the NSSF website, and use all their rules.  However, I only do the rifle competition, mostly for safety and time reasons.  Have introduced dozens of non-shooters, even anti's to the world of firearms.  Many women have taken their first shots at this affair!  I love the idea of the NSSF that the shoot format be easy(90% hits, 90% of the time). I only set up one stage, shoot 4 strings per, add fastest 3=total time score(adjusted for penalties of course). Newbies are learning the gun safety rules, and learning how to shoot, and having fun!  I even bought some cheapie medals on ribbons last summer for winner, they loved it!  Not a formal club event, not sanctioned, but I believe I am living up to the goals of the sport!