Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle build?

dhunt91

this is right after I got it home.

I started to put the bolt in and it would not chamber the bolt.

Took it out and this is what I see.

I was like WTH happened.

So I put it in my vice block and undid the barrel.

That is what happened to the reciever slot when he installed it.

It WAS NOT like that before.

What does the indexing pin on the barrel look like? Any drag marks? Clearly something had to twist that barrel out of alignment.

As Vlad pointed out, I would also be worried about the hardness of the upper....

Mick

barrel is fine theres just way to much play in the slot now.

I can take the nut off and it lines up fine. Just when tightend down it shifts into that dimple and missaligned.

The only thing I can think of is the creakote didnt get hard enough combined with way too much torque on the nut.

Like i said the idiot didnt use a torque wrench or a reaction bar. :angry2::angry2::angry2::angry2::angry2:

What grease to use one the barrel nut?

I bought the tools to put it on myself (reaction rod, pin viceblock torque wrench and crows foot)

all I need now is proper grease. anything you could find at lowes that would work?

Do you have a 5 or 6 inch bench vise?

If so, you can either use the DPMS panther Claw type device to hold the upper, or you can use two blocks of wood and turn the upper 90 degrees and hold it in the vice that way.

Coat the threads on the upper with a small amount of grease.

Insert barrel and hand tighten the barrel nut.

Then, using a barrel nut wrench (such as the one from DPMS), gently hand tighten the nut till you just meet a little resistance.

Loosen the nut and retighten until you again just meet resistance. Do this a total of 3 times. What you are doing here is seating the nut to the threads of the upper.

Now, simply tighten the barrel nut to the next notch or hole in the nut for the gas tube to pass through cleanly.

If you are paranoid, you can rent a half inch torque wrench from Auto Zone for free. AR15 barrel nut torque is typically between 35-80 ft/lb. This typically translates to "snug the nut hand tight, then turn till gas tube can pass".

Mick

What grease to use one the barrel nut?

I bought the tools to put it on myself (reaction rod, pin viceblock torque wrench and crows foot)

all I need now is proper grease. anything you could find at lowes that would work?

I used never seize and it worked fine. Available at any auto parts store in a small squeeze tube. Doesn't take much.

Do you have a 5 or 6 inch bench vise?

If so, you can either use the DPMS panther Claw type device to hold the upper, or you can use two blocks of wood and turn the upper 90 degrees and hold it in the vice that way.

Coat the threads on the upper with a small amount of grease.

Insert barrel and hand tighten the barrel nut.

Then, using a barrel nut wrench (such as the one from DPMS), gently hand tighten the nut till you just meet a little resistance.

Loosen the nut and retighten until you again just meet resistance. Do this a total of 3 times. What you are doing here is seating the nut to the threads of the upper.

Now, simply tighten the barrel nut to the next notch or hole in the nut for the gas tube to pass through cleanly.

If you are paranoid, you can rent a half inch torque wrench from Auto Zone for free. AR15 barrel nut torque is typically between 35-80 ft/lb. This typically translates to "snug the nut hand tight, then turn till gas tube can pass".

Mick

^^^^This.. the process is really a lot easier than many make it out to be, and it's a ton of fun.

Your white upper block that uses the two pins will be fine. It is the same one I use.

No need for a reaction rod - I have never used one....

I highly recommend buying a proper barrel nut wrench - use the right tool for the job...

Mick

Edited by MickB

I recommend NOT buying a a NCStar v2 wrench... it's a shit casting. The first one I got was warped to hell (before they painted it!), and the second one: chipped a castle nut, broke off a pin on the barrel wrench when going to 80ft-lbs (both due to shitty tolerances that don't spread force properly). Pretty pissed I paid $30 for it :(

Anybody know of any barrel/castle nut wrenches that have the following features:

1. Made of machined tool steel to tight tolerances

2. Can do barrel nuts and castle nuts

3. Has a hole for a 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrench

Suggestions please!