Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL indexing snappy and high primer fix.

bessy

I loaded 10,000 9mm on my LNL and only 2 failed to go bang at the tail end probably due to high primers. I was using Magtech primers and mostly Remington brass. Now I switched over to Tula primers and mixed brass and high primers are driving me crazy. It seems WIN and S&B brass are the worst. I've got the shims on order, hopefully that will help.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I did the shimming and it got be .003" below flush with my Federal primers.

I have just barely a bit of drag I will most likely reduce my shim by .0005 or maybe .001

For my testing/experimenting I wanted to remove the most slop.

I bought a S&W929 revo and plan on installing an Apex Tactical extended firing pin.

They state you need to seat Federal primers .007"-.010" below flush.

The next step I did was to take my primer seater out of the press and chuck it in a drill and use a hand file and trim off a few thousands of an inch so when I screw it in my press it just touches the primer sled.

Now my primers are .007-.008" below flush.

FWIW-Adding a dime to the base of the press does nothing basically. the limiting factor when you do that is once that piston travels up and bottoms out on that e-ring attached to the piston it will not go higher into the primer pocket.

This is exactly what ive been looking for! I have a 929 with an action job tuned down to 6lbs and was getting some light strikes and I believe it was primers not being seated enough. No problems in anything other than the revo. Thanks for posting that fix