Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Boots for muddy stages

DDustin

Does anyone know what boots might get the best traction in mud but are also good for quick sprints and footwork? These will be used only for matches when the weather is either currently bad or was and made the course a swamp. I had the Converse boots which did very poorly in the mud but pretty good for speed. I also tried a set of OTB boots which worked ok but sucked at staying dry and started coming apart at the seems after a few months making it even worse. They were really comfy though, especially on long hikes and ruck marches, but not great for running. Same with my experience with issued jungle boots, great for mud but not speed.

The Rocky boots tread looks promising but I've never given them a shot. They seem to get great reviews but only one was in the mud and he wasn't sprinting. Another boot that looks interesting is the new Bates Recondos, which are in the running to be the Army's new jungle boot.

So basically I need good muddy traction, lightweight and speed, quick drying and water resistance in that order of importance.

So what's working for most people? I'd really also appreciate any input from anyone with experience with either of the 2 I listed.

Thank in advance

Dustin

The Recondo sole has been around for a while on a number of their previous offerings. It is by far my favorite boot pattern and my shooting boots are my last pair of Bates M9s which are now discontinued but use that exact boot pattern.

I've had good luck with that patter in mud half way up my shins, sand, wet grass, etc. It is a solid pattern, but I'm not in love with the price Bates wants for boots sporting it. The M9s were affordable, the M8 and Recondos not so much.

A few years ago I bought some Rocky boots with Gore-Tex liners. They really keep my feet dry even standing in water 4-5 inches deep. A while back I noticed that the soles seemed to be crumbling. I called the company and they sent me some new soles for free. I did need to go to a shoe repair place that charged me about $15. The new soles are holding up well. If you buy some with the Gore-Tex I would get them locally or at least try them on before you buy mail order. I usually wear an 11-12 and with the Gore-Tex liners I needed a 13 wide.

A few years ago I bought some Rocky boots with Gore-Tex liners. They really keep my feet dry even standing in water 4-5 inches deep. A while back I noticed that the soles seemed to be crumbling. I called the company and they sent me some new soles for free. I did need to go to a shoe repair place that charged me about $15. The new soles are holding up well. If you buy some with the Gore-Tex I would get them locally or at least try them on before you buy mail order. I usually wear an 11-12 and with the Gore-Tex liners I needed a 13 wide.

How was the tread for sprinting in the mud? If a I get those it'll be either the standard quick drying boots or maybe the jungle boot.

The Recondo sole has been around for a while on a number of their previous offerings. It is by far my favorite boot pattern and my shooting boots are my last pair of Bates M9s which are now discontinued but use that exact boot pattern.

I've had good luck with that patter in mud half way up my shins, sand, wet grass, etc. It is a solid pattern, but I'm not in love with the price Bates wants for boots sporting it. The M9s were affordable, the M8 and Recondos not so much.

Have you had a chance to try the Recondos? How heavy was the boot that you tried? Any chance you've been able to try that tread pattern and the Rocky pattern in the mud for comparison?

Have you had a chance to try the Recondos? How heavy was the boot that you tried? Any chance you've been able to try that tread pattern and the Rocky pattern in the mud for comparison?

The Recondos are too rich for my blood, but they look a LOT like the old M9s. Those were about 3.5lb for the pair (they used to make shorter M6 that I liked, but those disappeared quickly). I haven't worn Rockies in a long time, I think I've only owned one pair ever and they have many patterns so I dunno how to compare them.

blackhawks work ok over here, you mustok be talking about some deep mud

It can get pretty swampy. It's more sticky and slippery usually which is pretty bad running between shooting positions with the wrong footwear. My converse boots turned into ice skates in the mud and my OTBs were slightly better but still pretty bad and even worse at drying out. They also didn't clean the mud out of the treads well which made the weigh a ton and lose even more traction.

Here are some stills from my helmet cam showing the environment. Not too much grass reall, when I tried cleats I almost lost them in the mud in places where it goes over your ankles.

asd_zps2988ea73.jpg

adadfda_zps4520444a.jpg

Edited by DDustin

Do you really shoot that often in muddy, boggy conditions that you need to buy a separate pair of boots for that? I've only been shooting matches every month for 2 1/2 years but there has only been one match where boots might have helped. I brought a pair of football cleats that I got from GoodWill for $2 to the match and was good to go ...

If your range gets that bad its time for some drainage work on the property. One of the ranges I shoot at used to get about as bad as those pictures, its a amazing what some grading and water management can do. Before that we did occasionally shoot in mud that was half way to our knees, and those M9's worked in it.

Use the best you have and take your time when navigating the stage in those kinds of conditions. Regardless of what shoe you have it's gonna get slick on those conditions. Better to go a little

Slower and finish safe over trying to go full speed and risk going down and DQ, most

Will slow down a little some will try to go full speed and hope for the best and it will be costly for some.

Do you really shoot that often in muddy, boggy conditions that you need to buy a separate pair of boots for that? I've only been shooting matches every month for 2 1/2 years but there has only been one match where boots might have helped. I brought a pair of football cleats that I got from GoodWill for $2 to the match and was good to go ...

Often enough unfortunately. My main boots were the OTBs and they've blown out the seems so I've taken them as far as they can go and my other boots, like I said, they're like ice skates in even a little mud. So regardless I'm getting new boots and the only times I wear them anymore are hiking and in natural terrain type matches. Typically in a match I where New Balance cross trainers.

If your range gets that bad its time for some drainage work on the property. One of the ranges I shoot at used to get about as bad as those pictures, its a amazing what some grading and water management can do. Before that we did occasionally shoot in mud that was half way to our knees, and those M9's worked in it.

If only it was my property lol those pictures are from Rockcastle where I do most of my shooting and training and hosts most of the major matches I attend. They seem to be working on it but I'm still ganna handle my part which is propper equipment. I was looking at the M9s, how well do they dry while your walking? They look like they have a bit less ventilation than the Recondos or the S2Vs. Not much sucks more than shooting a multiday match and putting on soaking boots in the morning. Same with hiking and backpacking which I do a lot.

Use the best you have and take your time when navigating the stage in those kinds of conditions. Regardless of what shoe you have it's gonna get slick on those conditions. Better to go a little

Slower and finish safe over trying to go full speed and risk going down and DQ, most

Will slow down a little some will try to go full speed and hope for the best and it will be costly for some.

I've been using what I have but now it's time to retire them, so either way I'm in the market for new boots. I do slow down quite a bit in the mud but I still have to shoot and maneuver around as well as walk around, reset and go between stages with out falling on my butt in the mud lol. If I can get boots that let me go a little faster though that would be ideal.

• 2 weeks later...