Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Commercial reloaders

My brass comes sorted from my supplier. The .223 is separate boxes from the 5.56. The .223 gets processed and reloaded with a 70gr TSX or a 77gr OTM. The 5.56 gets converted to 300 BLK. It's not necessary to sort, as far as loading goes, but I have them sorted for consistency.

My brass comes sorted from my supplier. The .223 is separate boxes from the 5.56. The .223 gets processed and reloaded with a 70gr TSX or a 77gr OTM. The 5.56 gets converted to 300 BLK. It's not necessary to sort, as far as loading goes, but I have them sorted for consistency.

Do you turn the necks of that 5.56 brass? I have found some of it to be too thick.

Yes. LC is pretty good and doesn't need TLC. Winchester, Remington, and Hornady .223 brass is the same. Basically brass from Lake City and the Big 5 factories is fine to use as is. The others are suspect and some are always too thick, like Wolf brass and S&B brass.

How do you check to make sure primers are right side up or not high. Right now I load a batch of 9mm range brass on my 1050 and then take them out the Arko bin and place them in those plastic ammo trays that come in factory boxes. Very time consuming. Is there a faster why. I find about one primer per 1000 that has issues. Usually a mil surp brass that the primer pocket didn't get enough crimp removed.

How do you check to make sure primers are right side up or not high. Right now I load a batch of 9mm range brass on my 1050 and then take them out the Arko bin and place them in those plastic ammo trays that come in factory boxes. Very time consuming. Is there a faster why. I find about one primer per 1000 that has issues. Usually a mil surp brass that the primer pocket didn't get enough crimp removed.

That's why all ammo is loaded into containers with the primer up. Last ditch check on primer orientation. That, and when you pour ammo over the container, it will gravitate bullet down.

Every round I load gets placed into a gauge to measure for SAAMI spec. When I place the round in the gauge, I look at the primer.

Every round I load gets placed into a gauge to measure for SAAMI spec. When I place the round in the gauge, I look at the primer.

25000 rounds, 2 seconds per round is 14 hours just for inspection....if you can do it in 2 seconds....

Check the rounds as they come off the press. Press is automated. When I have a busy week, I have help for inspection and packaging.

Pretty sure this process can be automated. I'm interested in hearing about what automation you have for your set-up, or anyone else's set up for that matter.

I have to imagine you (or people in similar situations as you) could use a cement mixer to tumble.

How do you handle cutting the cases down? Doing that by hand has to be a time-eater and there has to be a better (read: robotic or automated) way. I know you said "on press" elsewhere in the thread, is that with an RT 1200/1500-style cutter?

Edited by tastic

Check the rounds as they come off the press. Press is automated. When I have a busy week, I have help for inspection and packaging.

Pretty sure this process can be automated. I'm interested in hearing about what automation you have for your set-up, or anyone else's set up for that matter.

I have to imagine you (or people in similar situations as you) could use a cement mixer to tumble.

How do you handle cutting the cases down? Doing that by hand has to be a time-eater and there has to be a better (read: robotic or automated) way. I know you said "on press" elsewhere in the thread, is that with an RT 1200/1500-style cutter?

Forcht chain drive on my 1050. I also have a bullet feeder.

Cement mixers aren't as efficient as vibratory tumblers. I buy polished brass and only tumble to remove the lube and final polish. I've used a cement mixer before and it didn't work out as well as one would think.

I have a Dillon 1500 trimmer I use on a processing toolhead. Doing it by hand is much faster than automation.