Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In the zone

stumpyv8

Shot a multigun match yesterday in the sunny south of the UK.

On my penultimate stage, shot mini rifle then shotgun. It was the "big" stage. 13 papers & 15 or so shotgun steels.

I thought I shot it quite well. Ballsed up a rifle reload (forgot to do it when it was convenient so had to do it in an akward position) & seemed to wander through the shotgun. Not slow as such but certainly not fast.

Got to the end & actually thought "how the hell did I get here?", looked at the RO who said unload & show clear. I genuinely asked him if I'd finished.

He responded with "well, you've shot everything so probably, yes"

Is this normal?

Thanks for pointing out the other threads BE, I have now started in my research.

I now know I was "Blessed with the Zone". In full control but at the same time along for the ride.

So, now its down to more good quality practice to improve the base skills & improve concentration to dismiss the trivial things that disrupt my mind during match days.

I'm looking forward to the journey

Thanks for pointing out the other threads BE, I have now started in my research.

I now know I was "Blessed with the Zone". In full control but at the same time along for the ride.

So, now its down to more good quality practice to improve the base skills & improve concentration to dismiss the trivial things that disrupt my mind during match days.

I'm looking forward to the journey

"In full control but at the same time along for the ride." I couldn't have described it better myself. It's like you're inside yourself watching you shoot on auto pilot. You just know you're going to hit.

The Zone: Total Subconscious Performance

The best way to get there and stay there at the match is to give your conscious mind a singular job to do. That forces everything else into the subconscious.

The funny thing is, a lot of shooters claim to want it but resist it because it "feels" slow. that "slow feeling" cause them to be afraid that they will be slow, so they go back to rushing and trying and hurrying and wonder why they can't get in the zone.

An athlete can always over-try

An athlete can never over-trust

- Lanny Bassham

J-ro,

I'm glad you asked. :)

If you memorize the stage and visualize your plan in the first person perspective, there'e really nothing left to do but shoot the targets.

You don't need to choose between speed and accuracy, you'll get both at your current level of skill by watching the sights or calling the shot, whichever you're more comfortable with.

So, after you memorize and visualize the stage (repeatedly until you shoot) the only job for the conscious mind is to shoot the targets by watching the sights, seeing what you need to see, or calling the shot. (whichever of those verbal ideas works for you)

This forces everything else into the subconscious, putting you squarely "in the zone" reliably and predictably. It'll also provide consistency and calm your nerves.

You can read more about it in the new book, as well as the interview with Max Michel on that very topic.