Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visualization?

DrLove

do you really do it? How do you do it given everyone says it's very useful. How many times do you visualize yourself before a stage? Do you do it in first person? Do you try to visualize the entire stage and all the stimulus (from timer beep to unload and show clear??).

First get "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bassham.

Second,....3rd person mind video is easier than 1st person. 3rd person=you watching yourself from a distance. 1st person = you seeing the exact things you would see, ie.... Arms extended, pistol, etc...... Like the camera was your own eyes.

1st person is harder, but better. Try to do it in first person.

Next, walk the stage and see it all, every target, wall, barrel etc. when you have sufficiently memorized the stage, you are almost there.

Now run this movie in your head. Exactly what you will do, see every position as you enter it, every target as you shoot it, watch your sights rise and fall, make your "head movie" as accurate as you can. The more details the better. Repeat this at least 7-10 times before you shoot.

Edited to add........DONT USE ANY WORDS IN YOUR MIND MOVIE. JUST SEE WHAT YOU WANT TO DO AND DO IT. Hard to explain, but read the book and you'll get it.

Edited by Chris iliff

You've got 358 posts and you are asking this? Serious?

so I do it, but I don't think I do it correctly or I would have been a GM class by now :)

I thought that was relatively snarky of me, so I deleted it, ......but not before you captured it in a quote. My shame captured forever.

There are no secrets. GM class is there for the taking.

First get "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bassham.

Second,....3rd person mind video is easier than 1st person. 3rd person=you watching yourself from a distance. 1st person = you seeing the exact things you would see, ie.... Arms extended, pistol, etc...... Like the camera was your own eyes.

1st person is harder, but better. Try to do it in first person.

Next, walk the stage and see it all, every target, wall, barrel etc. when you have sufficiently memorized the stage, you are almost there.

Now run this movie in your head. Exactly what you will do, see every position as you enter it, every target as you shoot it, watch your sights rise and fall, make your "head movie" as accurate as you can. The more details the better. Repeat this at least 7-10 times before you shoot.

Edited to add........DONT USE ANY WORDS IN YOUR MIND MOVIE. JUST SEE WHAT YOU WANT TO DO AND DO IT. Hard to explain, but read the book and you'll get it.

Amazing concept. Never thought of it that way before. [emoji106]

+1 for Bassham. See what you gotta see in the visualization. As detailed or fuzzy as you need. Visualize as many times as you can.

For me I try to visualize entry and exit points for different parts of the stage usually separated by reloads. After the buzzer the most I seem to be able remember at one time is about to the next reload.

Trying to remember things like 4 through the port, left side of the barricade doesn't work for me. I just "see" it. This especially goes for standards in IDPA. I see where the transitions rather than trying to count 1-1-2-1-1.

Also, visualize which way doors open. I learned the slow way...during the stage...derp.

One improvement was that I stopped worrying about the previous targets.

If you're on deck it's best not to change your plan and visualization. Any gains you might get with a change will probably be lost. Once again, I invested a lot of stage time to learn that...

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

I'm not a GM and I haven't read bassham's book, but for any sport that requires a sequence of intricate actions under time pressure, visualization makes sense. MIne is sort of a mix of 3rd person and 1st person, but what matters most is entry and exits and reloads. It's a big timesaver to come into a position with the gun in the right place at just start shooting without having to look at everything. Most any stage plan that you can execute aggressively and without hesitation is better than one you have to think about.