Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 not making power factor through CZ

Caffeinated

This was new 4lb jug that I opened but it had the same manufacturing date as the last 4lb jug - August 2013.

This is the first I've chrono'ed the X-Treme plated bullets and was afraid of taking the powder charge over the listed specs. In my limited research of N320 I haven't seen too many folks having problems hitting PF.

Been using Bayou 124 prior and had no issue making power factor. 4.0 grains took me around 129 PF at Area 6. Bumped it up to 4.1 for a little more insurance.

The Bayou Bullets have a diameter of .356 and the X-Treme measure .354. Perhaps that is a part of the problem?

Thanks for all the input!

I got some x-treme 9mm 147 RN HPCB in today. There website shows these at .356 when I measured them they came in at .357.

SP01 Accu-Shadow today: (CZ/factory barrel - not match or AUZ barrel)

BBI 147 - OAL 1.103
VV N320 - 3.3gr (date code 16.5.2014 / new style label)
Federal SPP, Starline Brass

### 132 PF ###

10 shots (AVG=898, HI= 910, LOW=887)

Edited by trgt

The difference in the lots of N320 just proves how important a good accurate chrono is as part of your reloading gear. I have a 4# jug that will make minor plus with 4.1 and a newer jug that it takes 4.4 to get the same PF. Never trust a published load to get you into a match. Prove it first.

The difference in the lots of N320 just proves how important a good accurate chrono is as part of your reloading gear. I have a 4# jug that will make minor plus with 4.1 and a newer jug that it takes 4.4 to get the same PF. Never trust a published load to get you into a match. Prove it first.

I thought we were talking about variations of lots of VV powder and not published data?

If it is published data, then what is your source please?

I thought we were talking about variations of lots of VV powder and not published data?

If it is published data, then what is your source please?

We ARE talking about variations in lots of VV powder. So if you see 10 people say that 4.1 is making PF you better try it for yourself first over a known accurate chronograph and don't think their 4.1 load is going to get you to 130 only to find out once you pay your entry fee you are sub-minor. That was my whole point. My source for this number is VV's own on-line loading manual.

VV was not making 'commercial' powder for some time. A new company (can't remember the name) has taken over, and said they were refurbishing the plant and would restore stock soon. They were said to have a large stock of major contract powders still on hand and that was all they were making at the time of the turnover.

Sorry, I do not remember where I saw this info. :blush:

Maybe this is the cause of sudden changes in performance. (?)

I'm using older n320 4# jugs with no changes in mine so far..

Edited by 1SOW

VV was not making 'commercial' powder for some time. A new company (can't remember the name) has taken over, and said they were refurbishing the plant and would restore stock soon. They were said to have a large stock of major contract powders still on hand and that was all they were making at the time of the turnover.

Sorry, I do not remember where I saw this info. :blush:

Maybe this is the cause of sudden changes in performance. (?)

I'm using older n320 4# jugs with no changes in mine so far..

That would be Nammo (parent company of Lapua). All Finnish companies. I don't recall anything about refurbishing the plant. The plant was down for some time while Eurenco was looking for a buyer (approximatley March 2013 until the plant was sold near the end of 2013).

I'd guess any change in performance is a result of the shut down as opposed to any formulation change.

• 8 months later...